winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 30th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Corporal

cybersol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Games you miss playing

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
I could loose myself in tribes for literally days. I would play 24 hours or more at a time. The game was simply the best all time game that I have ever played before or since.

Tribes will always be my favorite game.
I totally understand the tribes addiction. I never got it, but in grad school, I had a roommate who was the strategist/leader for one of the top three clans in tribes. He was consumed by it, they had a team practice or a game almost every day, Lasting 4 hours a day or more. Neal was his name, but I don't remember the clan name I played a little, and though the 4ms ping was nice my old computer at the time just couln't keep up.

Its amazing you can go from a twitch of the finger type game to a slow methodical game like SEIV, Atrocities. I always find the former interesting, but they don't hold my attention like the latter.

As for my own nostalgia, amoung computer games I miss my first few the most. Reach for the Stars (the original) I still play sometimes on the Apple II GS when I am home for christmas (that is where the II GS is). It was a spreadsheet but it was fun and it started the 4X experience for me. Oh, and I was way into cyberpunk around this time. A game called Nueromancer for the IIGS was the best adventure game and the best cyberpunk rendition I have seen. Even though noone ever heard of it.

And my first wargame and multiplayer game was the original Empire at a local bookstore after hours in CGA 4 colors: black, white, baby blue, and hot pink

[ August 30, 2003, 10:17: Message edited by: cybersol ]
Old August 30th, 2003, 02:11 PM

BANNED USER

Gryphin is on a distinguished road

I miss SE III on purly nostagic reasons. I was playing 20 hours a week when she divorced me.
(a symptom not the cause )
Old August 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gryphin:
I miss SE III on purly nostagic reasons. I was playing 20 hours a week when she divorced me.
(a symptom not the cause )
Not to offend you, but you do realize that is a sympton of Space Empires Addiction do you not?

The first stages of the addiction are:

1. Obssive behavior often associated with the phase, "Just one more turn."
2. You begin to miss work because you stayed up all night long playing Space Empires.
3. Your partner leaves you because you spend all of your time playing Space Empires.
4. Rapid weight gain.
5. Lack of desire to bath
6. Sleeping at your computer desk.
7. Forum addiction.
8. Days will pass by and you will still think is is sunday when in fact it is Friday.
9. Nothing begins to matter except beating the Eee.
10. You burn up your mouse, and must buy a new one.

Later stages of the addiction are most powerful and best discussed later.
Old August 30th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Sergeant

Geckomlis is on a distinguished road

Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/nes/rtk.htm
I did not know the game was based on a book:
http://www.threekingdoms.com/

I actually got the book (in translation) via inter-library loan this week. It is really quite good.

I could not have been older than 16 when I first played ROTK... I feel old.
Old August 30th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersol:
quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
I could loose myself in tribes for literally days. I would play 24 hours or more at a time. The game was simply the best all time game that I have ever played before or since.

Tribes will always be my favorite game.
I totally understand the tribes addiction. I never got it, but in grad school, I had a roommate who was the strategist/leader for one of the top three clans in tribes. He was consumed by it, they had a team practice or a game almost every day, Lasting 4 hours a day or more. Neal was his name, but I don't remember the clan name I played a little, and though the 4ms ping was nice my old computer at the time just couln't keep up.

There were so many. EDEN, ***, LOD, PCP, DOW, KIN, etc.

I forget most of what the clan tag names stood for. But EDEN and *** (Assassins Secret Society) were among the best of the best IIRC.

As Nueromancer, I had a friend who played it. He loved it. I even recall him calling into work sick so he could go to Incredible Universe and buy a help guide on the game. LOL. Like non of us have ever done that before.
Old August 30th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Lieutenant General

oleg is on a distinguished road

I miss mom, Mom, MOm, MOM mOM moM mom !!!

The best game ever. Well, AI sucks big time and the idea of "game balance" is anathema , but still, it it was a marvelious game.
Old August 30th, 2003, 04:21 PM

BANNED USER

Gryphin is on a distinguished road

Atrocities
No offence taken, < gryns >

The following apply:

1. Obssive behavior often associated with the phase, "Just one more turn." - Yes, big time

3. Your partner leaves you because you spend all of your time playing Space Empires. - Yeppers
4. Rapid weight gain. - Almost
5. Lack of desire to bath - For 2 days at most after that the ichyness interupts my train of thoughts
10. You burn up your mouse, and must buy a new one. - Wore out the springs 2 Kensington Track Balls in less than 5 years (which they replaced for free)

11) Has a list of Priortys and playing SE IV is at or near the top.

12) Warned all potential girlfriends of my addiction and made it clear where they stood in priortyes.
Old August 30th, 2003, 06:25 PM

Sergeant

Cheeze is on a distinguished road

I used to love playing Tribes. I found the game annoying because I couldn't figure out how to play. Then I discovered the Storm voice pack, and everything changed. I would spend more time trying to figure out which South Park/Simpsons/Wrestling quote to fire off with my next death, or the unoccasional successful kill. That alone made the game worth playing. I eagerly bought Tribes 2 and still don't understand what people hate about it, except that the voice packs didn't work. Why they would make that change mystifies me. It's not as much fun unless I can scream "Screw you, hippie!" as I get blown to pieces by a mortar, sniped from some mountain, etc.

I pretty much stunk to high heavens at it but it was fun all the same. Few things will match nailing some ultra-good player (judging by all the silly letters attached at the front of his handle) with a mine or, in my few shining moments, a shocklance. My connection has never been terribly good or fast, so I was generally outmanuevered and outskilled. Unless I played one of those ridiculous over-hyper games, when the railgun fired like a machine gun. I would laugh watching a piece of Tribes landscape go up like it was hit by a cluster bomb, or see death coming my way, swift and certain.

I miss Doom 2. I played that game pretty steadily, and had a laptop. I would be at some laundromat and people would be wondering what was happening on my computer, with all the gunfire and demonic screams. Best moment was, while playing at around 4:30am (through the night of course), I was racing forward and suddenly heard some god-awful pig squeal noise. I don't know how I went from running forward to running back, but that sound completely freaked me out I had to stop playing for a few minutes. That was my first encounter with an arch-vile (I think!), and that was great!

Where's the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering ka-boom!
Old August 30th, 2003, 08:35 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road

Commodore 64:
Carriers at war
Gettysburg
Romancing the Kingdoms
IMPERIUM GALACTICA

Amiga:
Earl Weaver Baseball

Windows:
Alpha Centuri
Waterloo

All multiplayer and played with great friends, this I now miss

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old September 1st, 2003, 05:45 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

After reading this thread I miss tribes, and I never even played it.

Seriously...

Those late-night, lights-out, slightly beered-up face-too-close-to-the-screen sessions of llamatron 2112 on the Amiga will always have a special place on my scarred and abused retinas.

Oh, and playing "Alien Breed" with my bestest buddy back in my teenage days, crapping our pants as we ran for the decklift while the self-destruct countdown ticked on, lost and panicked and mobbed by a horde of giger-esque 16-bit beasties...