.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very poor performance under Linux

Quote:
Jamie said:He mentioned at that time that this solution did NOT work for Dom3, and since I am considering buying a copy I wanted to know if this was still the case or if a solution had been found.
Uh, that was ages ago, when I shortly wanted to take a peek at the first available Dom3-Demo. Unfortunately I vowed that I won't play Dom3 (nor any other time-consuming PC-games) until my PhD-Thesis is finished, so I have not tried again since. Sorry for not being able to offer any help, but I know that the ATI Linux drivers have quite improved since (DualHead, Suspend, etc.), so it might be worth to give it another try with the lastest ATI Driver and the lates Dom3-Demo:

Download the ATI unified driver binary executable from the ATI webpage, run, select Distribution Specific RPM Generation and generate appropriate RPM package, install RPM, run aticonfig (IMPORTANT! It is best to use the option which allows it to reinitialize your /etc/X11/xorg.conf entirely from scratch and then manually merge specific settings by hand from the backup of your original xorg.conf. Chose Single-Head setting first, for in earlier times I sometimes had problems with 3D stuff in DualHead mode. aticonfig --help explains quite a lot of stuff. E.g. check with "aticonfig --query-monitor" whether only one head is enabled or whether the VGA-connector is live in clone mode, etc.), restart X-server, check that the commandline tools "fglrxinfo" and "glxinfo" do not print "MESA" anywhere. Rinse and repeat these steps whenever you use Yast-Online-Update updates the kernel. That's all that I can offer right now, sorry. I'll be back to Dom3 in a year, hopefully earlier... [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif[/img]
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:18 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very poor performance under Linux

> That's all that I can offer right now, sorry. I'll be back to Dom3 in a year, hopefully earlier...

YOu are welcome when you do