.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Should Shrapnel Games Setup an Official Dominions 3 Server?
Yes, and I would pay more then $10 to support the project and/or receive a -gold- level account. 8 17.02%
Yes, and I would pay $10 to support the project and/or receive a -gold- level account. 16 34.04%
Yes, but I will not pay any extra for it. 14 29.79%
Yes, but my reason for saying so isn't a choice the poll writer was smart enough to think of. 1 2.13%
No, I don't think ShrapnelGames should be obligated to do this. 3 6.38%
No, it is up to community to come up with a solution. 3 6.38%
No, it is up to community to come up with a solution... but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. 0 0%
No, I only play Single Player so don't care about a multiplayer server. 0 0%
No, Sorry sucker... but the risk of a game disappearing only heightens the enjoyment of games that don't end prematurely. Better luck next time! 0 0%
No, but my reason for saying so isn't a choice the poll writer was smart enough to think of. 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Poll: Official Multiplayer Game Server

His code was made available to us, and a full set of instructions for running it, early on in the conversation about an official server.
Esben Mose Hansen Dom2 Server
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

Personally, between Gandalf, Dr. P and Graeme Dice, I've been able to get my fix just fine. But games on the forum fill up really, really fast. Like, last time i signed up 4 slots were taken while i was writing my join-up post! So i'm thinking it's prety clear that lack of games is limiting the growth of the community and it would be worth Shrapnel's time and money to do some hosting. I also worry that noobs who join a game and get clobbered and then can't find another one quick enough will give up the game.
Old February 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tyrant said:
I also worry that noobs who join a game and get clobbered and then can't find another one quick enough will give up the game.
Yes, I agree with this. New players are very vulnerable to being overrun early and becoming disillusioned with the game. The number of mistakes I have made in MP are huge and the late game in particular takes some getting used too. More beginner only games are definately a must, otherwise the community will not grow.
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

There is also a disadvantage that with so few games, there is a higher chance that an expert will be in each game. That doesnt necessarily help newbies gain interest either.

But I dont think that anyone is arguing the need for more servers. Im not sure that we can justify extensive cost layout for one by Shrapnel. Would an extensive web signup system increase interest? Probably. Would it generate new sales? Possibly. Enough to cover the cost and slightly beyond? I dont know.

And how many games would it need to be? If it ran 10 games then that could fill up in a couple of days. And those games could run for months. 10 new games every couple of days? or every week? Even if it were 10 new games a month with all of the nations in an era, then that could end up being alot of games and alot of computer power and alot of administration.

We all agree that we want it. But its not simple after that.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

How many copies of Dominions have been sold? Maybe take $.25 from each copy and put it towards the server cost, plus the amount people are willing to donate.

Personally I can't handle more then 2-3 games at a time. Sure when they are first starting out I'd love to play 10. But once you are spending 15-45 minutes a turn... that becomes a big commitment. Which then leads to abandonment or sloppy play.

Actually that is something that should be strongly conveyed to new players. I bet this "mistake" has been made by most people... I know it got me in a bit of trouble with Dom2.

I think Esbens base code is a great way to go. If the sever can give the game owners the ability to restart games, do all settings, perhaps even some file manipulation to remove a corrupt turn submission then it can be mostly self managed.
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

On my server one of the big automation needs I have found is a way to decide that a game is dead and delete it. People tend to just wander away from the game and leave it running. Of course you can watch for anything where no one turns in a turn but that gets into problems with games that are taking a break.
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road

Hi All!

We have, as mentioned, been willing to do something about this in the past but felt no one was really interested. We are still willing to help. So, talk about it and know that we are here for you guys. I will contribute my thoughts if asked.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tim Brooks said:
So, talk about it and know that we are here for you guys. I will contribute my thoughts if asked.
Please do contribute what you think of the idea. I, myself, think that it could be a little difficult to have the server use custom maps and mods that the players want to use. I guess the most that you'd be able to do is provide a vanilla game server, where one could upload a zipped map file, perhaps.
Emergency comic relief
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I had a game-creation page that I was messing with
http://www.dom3minions.com/lab/MakeGame.htm

I could probably get it to read the map selection directly from the dominions3/maps directory so that it could easily support maps being added. But personally, Id probably do the uploading of new maps myself. Creating a way for users to type in what they want to upload is a security hassle unless you are using a module that someone else worked out all the kinks on.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

What about a Virtual Private Server running linux?

Granted I am not real familar with this method... but I'm guessing for $50-$100/month you could get a VPS that could run several instances of Dominions?

This would eliminate the "who builds it, keeps it with power and live internet connect, etc..."