Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where are the downloads?

Quote:
capnq said:
Quote:
gregebowman said: Since I can only go online at the public library, it's hard for me to remember all of the sites to visit. I can't save them to favorites here.
Take a scrap of paper or a 3x5 card to the library with you, and write the URLs down.

I keep a pencil stub and scrap paper in my wallet, just so I can write something down if I need to.
I know that seems pretty obvious, but I just haven't done that. I know how to access this and Spaceempires.net. If I need more, I try to find a link or two. There are enough in some people's posts. Thanks for the advice, though.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
gregebowman said:
Quote:
Fyron said:
You guys seem to have misinterpreted the question. He's not asking where stuff can be downloaded, he's asking what happened to all the new releases there used to be.

There hasn't been much in the way of new releases lately. What has been released tends to be announced more on spaceempires5.com and spaceempires.net more than Shrapnel these days.
thanks, Fyron, you got my point. I just like downloading stuff for SEV. I'm not looking for any particular upgrade to a mod, or anything like that. Just for something new or upgraded to play with. I've tried Spaceempires.net also, and nothing new has been on there for a couple of weeks also. Since I can only go online at the public library, it's hard for me to remember all of the sites to visit. I can't save them to favorites here. Oh well, I'll just come back here sometime next week again and cross my fingers.
Funny you should mention that this week - I always recommend the bookmark functions of Google Toolbar (or Yahoo Toolbar ) because you can log into that from any computer and get to all your stuff, but this week's update for IE7 kills the Google Toolbar. I've switched to Firefox for now, which works fine.

Then again, the toolbar would have to be installed on the library's computer, which it might not be....

Another solution might be Google Docs, where if you log in to the various Google services (with a gmail address or some such) you can create a doc accessible from anywhere and copy/paste urls into it.

Just my 2-billion turkish lira
[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img]

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Corporal

BlueTemplar is on a distinguished road

Or you could use Opera@USB in combination with something like GoodSync.
+ You can keep your emails and newsfeeds with you in a program - and easier to organise than in the web email software! (Drag and drop, learning filters...)
- Some of the public computers might not allow you to use programs from usb drives, either because they are well-protected, or because the drivers are not up to date (for the oldest computers).

Oh, and SE4 and SE5 both work from USB drives! (you only need to keep with you your serial for SE5)
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Or use the portable version of a better supported browser.

There are dozens of online bookmarking services available though, so you probably don't need to go to the extent of a portable browser. They would be accessible from any machine, so long as it does not forbid the creation of cookies (though there are even some that let you make your bookmarks publicly visible).
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

Flash drives are pretty cheap. Create a text file in notepad and save the URL's there.
Old June 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all public computers have accessible USB ports though. Web servers are universal.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fyron said:
Not all public computers have accessible USB ports though. Web servers are universal.
Fortunately, the library I go to does have 2 USB ports right next to the cd-r/w drive where I plop my cd in to get my downloads. I know they work, because for some reason I can't save pdf files, so I had to d/l them onto my flash drive last week. I'll see if I can get something on my flash drive that will let me save bookmarks.