.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steam Sale Dom3 players might like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansanjuan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
Oh, flashback! Anyone remember the 'secret decoder disk'? It was a cardboard wheel with holes in it, on top of another disk, and you had to align some runes and find the hidden copy protection code. Maybe in some SSI RPG or something?
I do remember the disk but can't recall the game either. Might be google-able if you are lucky.
-ssj
The first game I remember that had that was called Sentinel... pretty good game too. EGA resolution ....
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

So I played some Mount and Blade over the weekend. I forgot how hard mounted combat was. I am roleplaying as a steppe nomad and all my recruits are nomads as well. It is pretty much god mode when we raid the Nord areas or fight anything that doesn't have horses. The closest thing I can compare this game to is "Pirates!" with the difference being the game takes place on land instead of the high seas.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM

BANNED USER

Ink is on a distinguished road

the absolute best weapon in the entire game is a good shield, a jousting lance, and a warhorse or better.

you can singlehandedly decimate armies of nords (they have short weapons and not a lot of missile weapons) and swadians (they have short weapons and slow missile weapons, but some horses). Veagirs and Khans have enough missile fire to make it to difficult to take them out without backup, and Rhodok spears (despite what people say) do in fact work pretty good against horses (since they are long enough to still get an occasional hit in even against the length of a jousting lance).
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Major General

I'm really loving it. Best 5 dollars I have spent in a while, and it came with a beta key for the expansion.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Private

slMagnvox is on a distinguished road

I was playing this last year and was a lot of fun. Might have to go figure out how to fire it up again.

My favorite tactic was a fast horse, good horsemanship and any lance I could couch. Like Ink mentioned, you can really crush infantry, especially the Nordic guys. Until you got an ax in the face. Horse archery is also a lot of fun.

Wonder if they did anything to improve the sieges, I found those rather frustrating.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:54 PM

BANNED USER

it MUST be a jousting lance. not only are they the longest weapon in the game, they are blunt so you get tons of prisoners.
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Major General

Speaking of prisoners, I am having a hard time finding the guys in the tavern you ransom them too, is there a trick to it? This time around I haven't even picked up prisoner management because I end up toting around prisoners until I get tired of the slowed down speed and let them go.
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM

BANNED USER

no trick, there's like 6 of them and they just travel from city to city on a weekly basis. However, I think Tihr has a permanent one, he is called "Slave Trader".
The Following User Says Thank You to Ink For This Useful Post:
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
It will *never* be profitable to charge a repeating fee of any kind to digitally access one-time purchase software[1].
Hmm...Steam claim to have 25 million active accounts. A $5 monthly fee (half of what World of Warcraft charges) could bring in an extra $1,200,000,000/year (assuming an 80% takeup rate) for virtually no extra expense - and you don't consider that profitable?
Quote:
The reason for this is a thing called elasticity of demand. People want new games, and if Steam won't give it to them for free, someone else will.
Steam isn't a free service now - they charge disproportionately high prices for games (often exceeding retail) given that digital distribution has no physical costs (packaging, storage, transport, inventory management, etc).

Quote:
Steam charging the users to use the service would be like credit card companies charging users to use their cards; everyone would stop using them, and the company wouldn't make any money.
You seem to have missed the main crux of my previous post - if your Steam account is closed, all the games you purchased from them stop working. That means Steam users aren't likely to be walking away, whatever changes Valve makes.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:03 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

No I think he got that, he was saying when people buy games, they usually only care about the newer stuff. Which is certainly true of mainstream buyers.

It's also true of mainstream buyers that even if they don't ever use something, they go completely ape**** if someone takes it away or tries to ransom it. So I doubt steam would do that.