.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA arcosephele - bless strategy?

The difference between pretenders and powerful summons isn't power level (some of the pretenders are pretty weak). It's naked, raw ambition and a willingness to lie about being a god.

I think Hecatonchires would make thematic summons for Arco or maybe C'tis. (A quick check to Wikipedia reveals that there were only three Hecatonchires. Hunh. They never mentioned that in my Greek Mythology books back in 1st grade and I've always assumed there were lots.)

-Max

P.S. Of course, one presumes that AFTER pretender X has conquered the world he will use the entire global gem output to empower himself up to crazy levels and Wish for power multiple times, etc. At that point there is a definite difference between him and a powerful summon.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

There's also the Faith factor. The spread of a pretender's Dominion is more a factor of the love/fear of their people, and the level of belief in that god, no? This in and of itself seperates it distinctly from other "beings of great power".

I don't see much reason we couldn't summon things like Void Lords, Gorgons, Olms, etc. I mean, we even have a Summon Kraken, it just happens to be a much younger and smaller Kraken than the pretender chassis. When you take away the ability to add custom magic paths, to add/increase Awe auras, etc, really any pretender is comparable to decent level 7-9 summons. Putting versions of them into nation specific summon spells could go VERY far towards breaking the current "you need death or blood to compete" paradigm of the game.
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, I like that idea too. Maybe add an A9 spell to summon one of those Air/Earth Titans, an N7E5 spell to summon a Gorgon, etc. The difference between them and a pretender is charisma, i.e. a Dominion score.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:45 AM

First Lieutenant

Kuritza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Baalz said:
Heck, 99% of the time I'd take one Onead over 10 Sea Kings.
Deal. I take 10 Kings.
King can take hits. He's got regen and poison immunity, with self-buff he's immune to frost (and has chill aura), with quickness he's got two attacks and standing attack/defense scores. With fire brand (superior to frost brand anyway) and dragon helmet, he's also immune to fire.
I'm convinced that oreads are nice raiders, but somebody has to take hits when armies meet, and Arco is a loser here.