This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 1st, 2003, 07:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Games you miss playing

llamatron...the robot was nice. kept me alive nearly twice as long.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old September 1st, 2003, 08:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I just played a game that I bought about a year ago. Star Wars Galactic Battle Grounds. Now this game is not that old, yet the game play and graphics are horribly, and I do mean horribly, out dated. They look absolutely horrendous. I had to check the game to be sure it was a true Lucas Arts game, and sure enough it was. WTF happened! Did Lucas Arts just decide to take a gaint leap backwards in technology? My god!!! This game sucks so bad that it makes MOO3 look like a My Sims champion of the year.

The laser beams look so fricking hooky that I nearly fell out of my chair in discust! What an absolute horrible excuse for a POS antiquited game! I guess Lucas has poored off into more than one area of his Star Wars empire.

A bad leader is a bad leader. Time to fire Lucas and higher in some talent!

Not since MOO3 have I been so utterly and completely disappoined in a game. All they did was take AOE (ONE) and swap out graphics. Dated graphics no less. Here is a game that could have rocked, especially after their first attempt at it was a failed POS, and they drop the ball again. Hell Empire Earth set the sandard, and Lucas Arts fell far far far far far below it with this game.

It is like going from a computer game of today back in time to the day of the old Atari 2600 games. That is how bad this game is. I thought Civ 3 was a bad game, boy I had no clue.

If you have not bought Galatic Battle Grounds yet, DON'T! not even on the budge rack. Wait to pick it up at a garage sale for 50 cents. Hell that is all that I will get for this POS crap fest game of all time. What a hunk of utter bantha fodder!

If I could take this game and give it back to Lucas Arts, it would be in a billion peaces with a note attacked explaining where they can put the peaces. What a horrible and nasty trick to play on the fans. Hell I though what Quick Silver did was bad, I had no concept that they had learned it from Lucas Arts.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being SEIV, SW GBG rates no higher than a 3. (Moo3 rated a 4.)

I can not believe that I spent the money to buy this game, and never played it. I feel cheated by it. I need a shower now. I will never buy another lucas arts product until long after it has gone to the junk discount bin, and then only if it has a favorable review from people like those who come here.
Old September 1st, 2003, 08:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Gryphin:
Atrocities
No offence taken, < gryns >

The following apply:

1. Obssive behavior often associated with the phase, "Just one more turn." - Yes, big time

3. Your partner leaves you because you spend all of your time playing Space Empires. - Yeppers
4. Rapid weight gain. - Almost
5. Lack of desire to bath - For 2 days at most after that the ichyness interupts my train of thoughts
10. You burn up your mouse, and must buy a new one. - Wore out the springs 2 Kensington Track Balls in less than 5 years (which they replaced for free)

11) Has a list of Priortys and playing SE IV is at or near the top.

12) Warned all potential girlfriends of my addiction and made it clear where they stood in priortyes.
One of the more advanced stages of SEIV Addicition is the almost crack cocain like withdrawal syptoms you experience when PBW is down.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 02:26 AM

Captain

sachmo is on a distinguished road

Warsong for Sega Genesis
Battlefront for Commodore 64
Red Storm Rising for Commodore 64
Gunship for Commodore 64
Baseball Stars for Nintendo
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

i spent a while today wandering around outdoors. on trails. it's fun. small trails. still fun. me monosyllabic. oops.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:56 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo:
Warsong for Sega Genesis
Battlefront for Commodore 64
Red Storm Rising for Commodore 64
Gunship for Commodore 64
Baseball Stars for Nintendo
Battlefront and Red Storm Rising are great games for the 64, sure I remember

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:59 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

I had Red Storm Rising for the PC. Great submarine game.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 05:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

One of the best, most thrilling, spine tingling games that I have ever played was the Alien Vs Predator of the The Atari Jaguar. I am telling you that game stood hair on end in places that I did not think possible. I actually recorded myself playing it from star to finish on a VCR. I can remember when we had no clue as to what to do or where to go, and then you hear it, that unmistakeable purring sound of a predator. He is near by and you like hell to get away. The trip through the Alien mother ship was especially frightening. This game scared me more than any game since. I still get chills think about it.

Sim City 3 UL. This game has got to be one of the best of the series. IT was fun, easy, difficult, playable. Unlike SC4 that is not fun at all.

System Shock II. NOW THIS GAME, is a damned good example of excellent game making. It has a good story, excellent game play, awsome playability and so on. I especially enjoyed it, and just finished playing it again. Now on to DeusEX again.

BOTF. One of the most under appreciated games of all time. For a star trek game it had a lot to offer, but the lawsuites over the Civilization licenses torpedo Microprose and the game was never supported.

Rebellion by Lucas Arts was for all intents and pruposes the first game that I was ever addicted to. Back in 98 when it came out I would stay awayke after work for hour playing it. I loved the game and wish I could have found the fan base sooner than I did. The game had a horrendous learning curve, but once learned, it was a lot of fun to play. I do miss it so.

Doom. Nuff said.

Freespace I - An excellent game that really set the standard for space flight sims.

Zelda and the Legend of Zelda were two of Nintendo finest games. they don't make them like that any more.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:03 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

DavidG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
System Shock II. NOW THIS GAME, is a damned good example of excellent game making. It has a good story, excellent game play, awsome playability and so on. I especially enjoyed it, and just finished playing it again. Now on to DeusEX again.
Ditto! This game has the best music I've ever heard too since it is linked to the plot not just background crap. When you hear that erie music start up you know something bad is about to happen!
Old September 2nd, 2003, 10:26 PM

Major General

Ruatha is on a distinguished road

Ultima Underworld I & II, why did they have to have an end??

I don't miss Civ 2 as I still play it, but not as much as I play CivNet. (Both installed on my computer and I've played them in the beginning of this year)

Space fighters: X-wing (The original before Tie-fighter) and the two Freelancer games, goodies!

But apart from the Ultima Underworld games and Civ 1&2 there's really no old game I'd play again, (kind of a lie as I play old arcade games on the MAME emu...but thats something completely different!)

For the Last 6 months I haven't played any game except SEIV.
Will have to brush up on some other games as we're having a LAN weekend this autumn though;
Unreal tournament, Heroes of might and magic IV.

[ September 02, 2003, 21:28: Message edited by: Ruatha ]