.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Your primary operating system at home
Other(specify) 0 0%
CowboyNeal 0 0%
Won't tell 1 0.62%
DOS 0 0%
BeOS 0 0%
Solaris 0 0%
FreeBSD 0 0%
Mac 19 11.73%
Linux 34 20.99%
Windows 108 66.67%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Private

DanielM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Operating System poll

I am using Linux (specificially Mandriva Linux, though Debian isn't bad, either) exclusively since three years now.

I haven't tried a Mac (yet), but I really can't understand why anyone would want to use Windows (of course, there are some who actually need to use it - I'm not speaking of some kids mucking around with an illegal copy of Photoshop, but specialized applications for work which are available exclusively for Windows).

I mean sure, it takes some learning to switch systems, but in my experience (having used Windows from 3.x to XP) the work required to keep a Windows system running is much greater (and a running expense instead of a one-time kind of thing). But it seems not to register with most because they are used to it.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

All Windows, from server 2k3 to Vista. Of course I manage windows servers in a datacenter and used to work for Microsoft so I obviously scoff at all the linux fanboys out there.
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

100% Windows here, although I originally discovered Dominions:PPP through a Linux gaming website....

Like Velusion, I use Windows professionally. I even have the MCSE, for whatever that's worth. And my Windows is pretty well-customized to exactly what I like. Yes, it's possible to tweak the heck out of Windows with a little bit of work.

I've tried several different flavors of Linux, and my favorite is Ubuntu. Still, though, I'm not sure that I see the huge appeal. I can get all of the cool OSS stuff for Windows, plus Windows runs all of my games. Why switch?
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Private

hnchrist3 is on a distinguished road

Linux. (ubuntu 7.10 right now, although I've gone through everything from Caldera 2.2, to Red Hat 7.4, to Mandriva 8.6.)

Windoze 98 is installed on this computer, but now that I have 1G of memory it will no longer boot. Doesn't matter, I have a separate machine that has Red Hat 7.4 and Windoze 98 on it so I can play all my old (Loki! and other) games.

Interestingly, the hardware on this machine is failing, yet linux seems to deal with it, and Windoze just crashes; I mean more than usual (if I pull out a 512K stick to make it work).

In the end, is that DOM3 is a cross-platform game, and we all can enjoy it. What makes it easily cross-platform is that it is NOT developed in Windoze.

Also with linux I have the luxury of Wine and Dosemu for those times when I need them.
[I run ACBLSCORE (bridge players know) under Dosemu, and my favorite proxy-server/filter, the Proxomitron, under Wine.]