.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Afterthought - Random Nations, Middle Era (Sig

Quote:
Methel said:
Using sheps "rules" of diplomacy this time please?
the fallout becouse of the somewhat rigid rules of last game had me worried.
I'm not sure what you are talking about...
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:41 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

WSzaboPeter and I had a disagreement over the terms of our NAP. Since the rules for the game were that "you must obey treaties" instead of Shep's rules, it created some tension. Ultimately, WSzaboPeter ended up leaving the game.

I, personally, never want to play a "you must obey treaties" game again. Shep's rules are much simpler in that there are no headaches from disagreements over what an NAP stands for. If you disagree with the other person, then you simply break the pact. No need for rules lawyering.

Jazzepi
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM

Private

Vathmoth is on a distinguished road

Hi,

If one of the two missing players don't send their passwords, may I play one of those nations? My email is Vathmoth@gmail.com

Thanks
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM

Corporal

tromper is on a distinguished road

hahah, after reading this supposed 'code of conduct', I'm still chuckling.

It begins with a 'do anything you want and break any treaty you feel like breaking, at any time, because you want to win at all costs and so does everyone else' sort of vibe, and then follows up with an 'if you promise to trade something, you'd better trade it or you're being a jerk'. Makes no sense to me.

Personally, I'd prefer to play with honest people that respect treaties. There are myriad other ways to 'backstab'. *shrug* It's up to Velusion and you guys though of course.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
tromper said:
It begins with a 'do anything you want and break any treaty you feel like breaking, at any time, because you want to win at all costs and so does everyone else' sort of vibe, and then follows up with an 'if you promise to trade something, you'd better trade it or you're being a jerk'. Makes no sense to me.
It makes sense, if you consider that in reality you can make trades directly on the spot and if the other does not give you his merchandise, you do not give yours. But as in dom, you send your stuff one turn and dont know if the other does so too, this rule makes sure that he has to send his stuff too.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:38 PM

Corporal

tromper is on a distinguished road

If you are intimating, Hadrian, that in 'real life' treaties are broken, etc., and that trades are always consummated as promised. Uh. I disagree. This artificial delimitation is hackneyed in my opinion. "Hi, I'd like to be your friend. I won't attack you for five turns. Also, I'd like to trade you fifty gems for The Chalice." Next turn, you and yours expect to receive these gems because the 'rules' say so, yet you're okay with being attacked randomly because treaties mean nothing substantive. I don't get it. But I won't make further commentary regarding it, either.

I already stated my little preference and play-style, and others have theirs. It's especially fun to be an *honest* bad guy, for me, if I want to go that route.

Velusion should probably make it clear what dictates are in effect given previous problems or whatever.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

I've always felt that the transaction part of the rules was a compensation for the fact that the game has no mechanics to govern it. Generally you propose a trade, the other person accepts, and the swap happens. Since there's no in game mechanic for it, we just use out of game honesty.

Jazzepi
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

I really hate the idea that there would be some external "you must obey treaties" rule. How would that be enforced anyway? Same goes for trading, though I think the cost of becoming known as someone who can't be trusted as a trading partner would be pretty prohibitive.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

I don't enforce any sort of those rules in my games. IF someone wants to break a treaty or steal stuff for a trade agreement it's their prerogative. Likewise you can RP your play-style or min/max it to win.

The only things that could get you into trouble in my games:

• Excessively reminding people to do their turn or telling people to hurry up.
• Exploiting known bugs on Edi’s bug list (see main forum sticky) or obvious bugs that aren't on Edi's list.
• Spoofing or faking emails/PMs in order to get nation passwords.
• Threatening or harassing players with consequences outside of Dom3 games.
• Hacking the game files or my server in any way.
• Playing more than one nation in the same game.

I will echo Terawaerto's post that if you DO steal from an agreed upon trade of goods it's very likely you will be ostracized, both in this game and future games around here. People are free to do what they want, but they are also free to let everyone know you are thief and carry over grudges into future games. I can honestly say I haven't heard of anyone purposefully stealing on a trade in any MP dom3 game, but it could (and probably will) eventually happen.

Treaties are much more debatable and opinions on if it's OK to break them vary widely. My only advice to those that take treaties seriously is to avoid those who have been known to break them regularly in the past. If you don't have any sort of player history to go on, ask around or simply be careful.

Edit: Added another to the list (once you get going you start adding rules you can't stop!)
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM

Corporal

Eressil3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Teraswaerto said:
I really hate the idea that there would be some external "you must obey treaties" rule. How would that be enforced anyway? Same goes for trading, though I think the cost of becoming known as someone who can't be trusted as a trading partner would be pretty prohibitive.
Same opinion here.

edit : BTW give me 100 astral gems and I'll give you 200 !!!