.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 19th, 2009, 04:13 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crusaders - Mod Heavy Ea game [1 land+1 sea players needed]

They show up for me as well.
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post
Actually I am not familiar with the mods; which nations would significantly change? Those with strong priests and multipath mages I assume?

I'm already playing EA TC in one game, would my gameplay change significantly with CPCS and Holy war?
I'm the author of CPCS & Holy War, in case you were wondering and I'd be clad to anwser your question.

The changes of CPCS & Holy War are mostly global, althought Holy War slighlty changes (max changes +/- 10% in gold cost) some sacred troops. Also some mage-priests are reduced in holy power while some "pure" priests got increased holy magic.

I also brought up some hints about handling the mods in a previous thread, behold the power of copy-paste!

- With Holy War, holy sites are much more common, althought the effect is somewhat diluted by the magic site mod. My careful estimate is that about 8% of sites will be holy. All common holy sites can be found with a level 1 priest, uncommons by level 2 and rare sites by level 3. It's recommendable to send at least h2 priest out early to search some holy sites. Most of the sites do not give lots of gems, but allow access to good quality units & priests. Most of the indy sacreds can be pretty good even with a moderate bless, and some need no bless at all to be of use (Penitents, for example, are just undercosted heavy infantry, because they fight to cleanse their sins.), so it's worthwhile to search even if you don't have a bless. Most also give some gold and/or resources. Most of the holy sites are just for land, so rarely concern sea terrains. However, the "Temple of the Deeps" common holy site is still there, so holy searching underwater is worthwhile just for it.

- Be careful with the CPCS spells - consider the new options they give for your opponent against you, so that you are not completely taken by suprise by a new spell. Be also sure to check any spells that are available to you. CPCS has up-to-date complete spell list on these forums (you can find the link on the first post of the mod thread).

- Also consider the new cross-holy summoning spells (Call Guardian of X). They need precious mage-time (only one unit per summon), but the troops are pretty good, and sacred to boot. If things get hot, they might just be the silver bullet you need. For example, Guardians of the First Flame have high attack skill and a high-damage magical weapon. They might be just what you need to croak those pesky ethereal thugs. Guardians of the Throne deal nearly no damage to anything but are ethereal, high def and small size. Perfect to buy you some time on the battlefield and to exhaust enemy troops as they try hit them. Guardians of the world tree have magical ranged attack -> perfect for popping up mistform.

- The new holy spells from Holy War should also be up to consideration when you devising your combat stragedies. Just the new 3 starting spells change things. All priests can now do battlefield healing with the "Faith Healing" spell, an option that makes level 1 priests much more useful on the battlefield. "Smite Heretic" is also good for fending off any early sacred rushes. You should also note that the three most powerful new holy buffing spells (Holy Warriors + Divine Armaments + Divine Protection) are mr negates/mr negates easily and only work well with low-to medium mr troops. Penetration items can also be used to increase the effectiveness of these spells.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Colonel

Actually, all this talk about the mods has given me the craving to game.

Sign me up as Agartha.

Amonchakad, you should know that finding a another sea player might take some time. Going against EA Oceania in a 18 province lake is a practically a suicide. The Knight of the Deeps will be in your capital before turn 10. EA Atlantis has nothing that could even theoratically hit them and R'lyeh isn't able to reach critical mass on its Mind Blasters in so short time.

Perhaps you could combine some water provinces to reduce the amount of water? 10-12 water provinces should be okay to a single UW nation, considering that we have two amphibious nations in the mix (fomoria & Agartha).
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:51 AM

Corporal

Kietsensei is on a distinguished road

By the way if everyone is ok we could start as we are now. Most people seem to be busy with other games already. Land players will have 15 provinces and water 18 but we all know how hard it is for these cute mermaid to colonize outside of the water

If people disagree and we cannot find other players I can switch to another nation: Hinnom

Edit: Burnsaber just posted before me. He is right and another solution would be to reduce the amount of water.
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Sergeant

shard is on a distinguished road

Since one of the purposes of this game might be to test out the mp viability of the mods I don't mind changing my pick of Sauromatia to another nation you think that might make better use of the new spells.

Any suggestions?
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Corporal

Amonchakad is on a distinguished road

Honestly, the solution about letting Oceania as the only sea nation doesn't sound bad.I haven't played Oceania much, but I know that it has many problems expanding above the surface...
About editing the map file for having less water provinces, it sounds a little complicated for me, but maybe somebody else can help with that.
So...I'd like to have the input of more experienced players: would Oceania get too powerful with 18 provinces at its disposal(considering we also have 2 amphibious nations)?

Shard, about your nation, you can choose whichever you want: we already have other ones that will help with the testing, so play the one that you feel most comfortable with
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I don't really know, but I'd be quite happy to play with just Oceania in the sea. I can't imagine them being really scary like, say, R'lyeh, even if they are uncontested in the water. It's a shame really that we haven't included Burnsaber's Oceania mod.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'll jump in as Abysia, want to try a new strat out
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Colonel

Perhaps you could mark some UW provinces as low-population with the #population command? That should be pretty simple and have the desired effect.
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crusaders - Mod Heavy Ea game [Recruitment closed]

Comments: The mask for the shrine of sombre currently allows it to be found above water. It needs to be changed to be water only.

I'm ok with oceania being the only water.

If we are playing legends, map I'll switch to Arco. (So long as no one else picks up mictlan.