Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Tophats: Squirreloid wins! - Page 5 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tophats - The Gentleman's Game (Full. Organizing)

Chaps,

Some chatter in the common forums has given me a rather silly idea, and I wish to present it to our Assembly for review.

First, some background. There are many new faces here on the boards. A very encouraging sign, indeed. However, as we all know, volunteering for one's first MP game can be intimidating.

It has been and remains the sacred duty of distinguished gentlemen like us to encourage future Dominions generations to participate in our sport. Indeed, our community's continued vitality depends upon it.

I therefore propose that I make my turns in the Tophats game visible to "tourists" - those who are not participating in the game, but are interested to see how an MP game works, what strategies are involved, etc. The intent would be to allow those interested in MP to experience the game without commitment, thereby piquing their interest and spurring participation (forgive the harsh language, I implore!)

Specifically, I would post a solicitation in the main forum asking all interested parties to contact me via email. I would then send my .trn & .2h files to those individuals. These would be sent with a 2-turn delay, to ensure no unscrupulous parties sabotage our game with unauthorized .2h files.

I would maintain a discussion thread in the MP forums providing insights, rationale, and pathetic attempts at humor. Essentially, it'd be a living After Action Report (er, or perhaps a During Action Report?)

Regardless, such an experiment would not be possible without the full endorsement and cooperation of all members of the Tophats Congress. Afterall, the integrity of the game would be compromised should any of our members choose to use the situation to thier advantage. Though of course, given that all of our members of Persons of the Highest Quality, this notion is laughable, therefore making our game the perfect laboratory to test such an Idea.

However, this Idea cannot and will not proceed unless each of our cohort agrees to the following stipulations:
1) No active member of the Tophats game will view .trn & .2h that I make available.
2) No active member will view the AAR thread I maintain on the board.
3) No active member will discuss information from (1) or (2) with anybody who has access to (1) or (2).

So gentlemen, what do you think? Again, without positive affirmation of this proposal by all Tophats members, it will not be implemented.

Most sincerely,
cleveland
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Why, what an absolutely SMASHING idea good sir! I would also be willing to take part in this endeavor. However, it strikes me that it would be rather rare fun to read each other's DARs. Perhaps if one were to update them 2 turns behind schedule it would be fitting? Of course, one may conceal what one wishes, and if it is felt to be best to simply ban other players' observation of them I will acquiese.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:32 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

well i have a question: what is this madness gentlemen that you have allowed the OGRES to join such a civilized game!!
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Lama View Post
well i have a question: what is this madness gentlemen that you have allowed the OGRES to join such a civilized game!!
Like the dead, Ogres are straight-forward and tell no lies. Unlike those sneaky Van.
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:23 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tophats - Gentleman's Game (1 spot open!)

I find out sir Cleveland's idea to be most well-thought proposal. I hereby declare to follow all the rules stated in the afro-mentioned proposal.

Also, Sir Lingchic turned down the offer to join the game due to time-constraints, so the game is up for recruitment once more. Should the worst thing happen and no one signs up before sunday, I'll start the game nevertheless. We will deal with the possible imbalance issues like gentlemen.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Sergeant

GameExtremist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tophats - Gentleman's Game (1 spot open!)

By jove!

I have not seen such a fine gathering of gentleman in many a year, I would of course be delighted to accompany you all on this fine journey!

I do perhaps muse upon weather I can ride the back of my elephants (Arcoscephale ) without dropping my monocle.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Corporal

Apsophos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tophats - Gentleman's Game (Pretenders!)

A During Action Report, now this is a brilliant idea! Needless to say, I agree to all the conditions.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tophats - Gentleman's Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameExtremist View Post
By jove!

I have not seen such a fine gathering of gentleman in many a year, I would of course be delighted to accompany you all on this fine journey!

I do perhaps muse upon weather I can ride the back of my elephants (Arcoscephale ) without dropping my monocle.
Oh, jolly good!

We will start as soon as this fine young chap manages to get his pretender in. There is no need for rush though, please take all the time you need to produce the pretender of most fitting stature.

However, I do wish that we could manage to start the game before Saturday.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Sergeant

GameExtremist is on a distinguished road

Oh Blast!

Pardon me my good chaps but I am having a spot of bother installing the Gentleman's mod correctly.

I place the unzipped files in the mod directory, start the game and enable the mod, only to have nonsensical message

"myloadmalloc: can't open ./mods/./Warhammer ogre Kingdoms/flag.tga"

Do I need to install other mods seperately or should I be unpacking the gentlemans mod in a different manner upon which I am habitually accustomed too?

Sorry chaps in the delay.
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:48 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameExtremist View Post
Oh Blast!

Pardon me my good chaps but I am having a spot of bother installing the Gentleman's mod correctly.

I place the unzipped files in the mod directory, start the game and enable the mod, only to have nonsensical message

"myloadmalloc: can't open ./mods/./Warhammer ogre Kingdoms/flag.tga"

Do I need to install other mods seperately or should I be unpacking the gentlemans mod in a different manner upon which I am habitually accustomed too?

Sorry chaps in the delay.
Yes, it turns out that the way the mod was packaged, you must already have all the mods used in this game already on your computer.

Here's a link to the ogre mod: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35298
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
The Following User Says Thank You to rdonj For This Useful Post: