The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 31st, 2003, 03:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Star Wars Mod - II (Sci-Fi Xover Mod)

There has to be a minimum of 20 major races (i.e. races with pics and data files in the Races folder) - the game will run duplicates if this is not done. How many Races are there in this mod?
Old September 1st, 2003, 11:23 PM

Corporal

Imperial is on a distinguished road

yes indeed there are 10 main races--ill prob add more if i can find some star wars copmpatible looking ones. another thing i recently noticed is that during combat--the mp-3 files arent working--the guns(dup cannon) at the time made dinging noises and no explosion sounds were heard.--Do i have to load the cd up to enable sounds? More to come as i explore the mod more--
Old September 1st, 2003, 11:29 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperial:
yes indeed there are 10 main races--ill prob add more if i can find some star wars copmpatible looking ones. another thing i recently noticed is that during combat--the mp-3 files arent working--the guns(dup cannon) at the time made dinging noises and no explosion sounds were heard.--Do i have to load the cd up to enable sounds? More to come as i explore the mod more--
It depends on where Andres put the sound files. If he put them in his mod directory>sounds, then you'll hear them only when 'classic' sound effects are chosen. Most people use the 'new' sound effects, so they would need to be in the sounds>new directory instead.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:18 AM

Major

Andrés is on a distinguished road

Right, sounds are from in sounds\new dir, copy the files from the default one to the one in the mod (answer 'no' if it asks you to overwrite files).
It wasn't worth to increase the size of the file in about 10 Mb (compressed) only to include wav sounds you already have. I should have included a warning and instructions about this.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 03:50 AM

Corporal

OK before i do that let me ask this-- in the default SE-IV sound folder--there is a subfolder called new and several mp-3 files outside that folder. Do i select all and copy them into the SW-2 mod?. And also once i do copy them--do i turn classic effects on?--sorry if i seem dumb--i just want it to work--heh.Also the mod seems pretty stable otherwise--I plan on playing a few hours each day this week so ill post my findings accordinly--thanks for the replies))
Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:07 AM

Major

The feared "System Default Sound" gun.

First, they’re not .mp3 files, they are .wav files, though your system may show the same icon and play them with the same program.

You have to copy the files from
...\Space Empires IV Gold\Sounds\New
to
...\Space Empires IV Gold\StarWars-II\Sounds\New
(this folder should exist and hold some sounds of starwars weapons and a couple of interface sounds it would be nice not to overwrite)

Leave the classic effects option off.
Unless you prefer to listen to the old sounds for SE4 weapons, in which case you should:
copy new sounds from “...\Space Empires IV Gold\StarWars-II\Sounds\New” to “...\Space Empires IV Gold\StarWars-II\Sounds” and all sounds except the overwriting ones from “...\Space Empires IV Gold\StarWars-II\” to the same dir.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:09 AM

Major

And I'll see what can I do to provide at least a pack of quickly-made placeholder races to complete the 20 required ones.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 11:39 PM

Corporal

Thank you Andres. I am really quite satisfied with the mod, and while more races would always be welcome, I am having a good time with it as is. Now that i have fixed the sounds the game is enhanced alot.Just trying to say "Thanks"--for a fun mod to add to the mix of mods to play. I am hoping to get my LAN players off our current game and into a Star Wars shoot em up soon--so this is a great mod for that--again Thank You)
Old September 9th, 2003, 01:47 AM

Sergeant

QuarianRex is on a distinguished road

I've been playing a couple of test games the Last couple of days and I must say that I am quite impressed. I love the way that you changed so many of the game pics, it's like playing a whole new game.

I have a few thoughts about how it plays out though.

Hull Sizes- I like the range but why are there so many redundant sizes? If you research a tech level you should recieve an actual improvement, whether it be size, special abilities, etc. There seem to be several hulls that serve no porpose (the imperial repair base comes to mind). Scrolling through scores of hulls with only negligible differences cam get tedious. Adding an ability or a special mount can go a long way to making them usable.

Fighters- Nice job but some things could be changed. How about making the thrusters (the first fighter engine) 2kt. Still larger than Ions but now small enough to be able to add to a Tie Fighter and still have room for a weapon. I hated not being able to use Tie's till I researched several levels of propulsion. Also, Proton Torps are sweet. Perhaps too sweet. How about only allowing them to target ships, bases, and planets. That way they still retain their punch but over-reliance will leave you vulnerable to other fighters. Staying with the weapons, the damage for laser and bLaster cannons should be upped to @5 (depending on range) instead of 3. This would make them comparable to standard SE4 weapons (helpful since this is a X-over mod) and give you a reason to mount something other than proton torps.

Monoliths- Why deny them to SW? They fall in nicely with the technological level of the series and it fills out the severely depleted SW stellar manipulation tech area.

Cultures- Not necessarily applicable to SW but more for the X-over mod as a whole. I recently tried out Ed Kolis' (I think) Highliner mod and he had a rework of the cultures (and included a few new ones) that is quite impressive. It would be a great addition to the x-over mod.

I hope some of this helps, and I've got to say, I love this mod.

P.S. When do you plan on having the racial AI's done? I dearly look forward to seeing them use thier actual tech.

[ September 09, 2003, 00:51: Message edited by: QuarianRex ]
Old September 9th, 2003, 04:24 PM

Sergeant

QuarianRex is on a distinguished road

Some things that I forgot...

These components/facilities need to have different families; Durasteel Armor/DurapLast Armor (everytime I upgrade a ship it gets loaded with fighter armor), Targeting Sensors/Small Targeting Sensors (same problem as with the armor), and Shipyard Facility/Advanced Shipyard Facility (I want to be able to hit 'upgrade facility' without potentially shattering my economy).

The structure of infantry weapons needs to be doubled to give more life to smaller troops yet still mahe armor useful. Currently 1500 Stormtroopers equiped with Heavy Repeating BLasters typically take 700+ casualties vs. 200 militia (and Jawa militia at that}.

Maintainence Droids need to be reworked a bit. Currently the maint. reduction stacks, andwhile it is nice that my Star Destroyers are actually producing resources I do feel like a big cheater. I suggest limiting Maint. Droids to one per ship and adding Dedicated Repair Droids (or somesuch) at the same levels with the same stats minus the maint. reduction.

Hope this helps.