Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
sauromantia - Page 6 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 5th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Sergeant

Belac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sauromantia

I am fighting a war against Sauro in one game (Mooseknight), and nothing made me happier than when my opponent ran out of money for more hydras. A couple hydras plus high PD plus a few skelspammers was enough to require me to commit whole armies of mine (admittedly, I am agartha and using national units), and combined with any other Sauro force was enough to defeat me as the hydras+skelspam held my forces up while the PD archers slaughtered me.

It stopped working once I was able to get enough elementals+umbrals, but for early research and secondary fronts (send a few hydras on a raid, drop some PD in their province and attack the next--it takes disproportionate force to defeat them, and either you face them+PD or just the PD, which weakens your force for when you do catch up. That's not terribly gold-cheap, but it's cheap on everything else and seriously draws enemy resources away from the battlefront) it was awful.
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people get really upset when certain type of units, especially expensive ones, die. But, if you get 10knights to die from running through the poison of 2-3 little hydras, you probably did just fine.
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Hydrae, like elephants, are actually pretty easy to counter, assuming you're playing a nation that isn't totally crippled. (So Belac's EA Agartha has plenty of excuse to hate the hydrae).

Agree with Trumanator - you build them to counter specific units (and then preferably get them killed as soon as they're no longer useful).