.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:34 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why such a high price?

Edit:
I checked out that thread on heaven.

Copied and pasted from there:

"I downloaded the demo for Dominions....not sure i really like it though....It is complex though, that I will give it. Just not sure I would want to pay 25 bucks for it....
What are all of your guys' thoughts on Dominions? Why do you like it?

It just seems to me at the moment, that although complex, the game is simple....it just seems that it is the same thing....EVERY turn....plus, I wish that the units had some better artwork....not graphics, just some artwork....

Like I said, I think it is a very complex game....but at the same time, it seems very simple once you get past the complexity of it all...."

Check out his Last sentence. I agree with him, totally about that.

[ September 22, 2003, 21:35: Message edited by: Mortifer ]
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:39 PM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road

i believe that was my post....and my opinion of the game has changed, once i started really understand the game more....and especially since i went on and bought the full Version....

Now, I would post:

"this is THE best game I have laid my hands on....EVER....and Dominions II...WOW....can't wait..."

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:40 PM

Private

Reaper222 is on a distinguished road

WTF?! The game will cost 50$ + shipping?
BLEH! I won't buy it. I will just download it from the net for FREE.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

troll...

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:45 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Keep in mind AoW has 45 different units that are really different pictures on one of 3 basic units that are for the most part identical. A human swordsman = an orc swordsmen and a orc cavalry = a human cavalry.
I'm not convinced this is a good way to argue that Dom is superior to AoW, most Dom nations have very similar units as well. The difference of a point or two here or there is virtually identical to the differences between the AoW units. The magic system in dom is however significantly different, and more interesting than the system in AoW, as is the variety in creating magic items.

The main difference to me between AoW and Dom is the pace of the battles. In AoW you typically have battles every turn, often multiple battles. In Dom it seems that especailly the crucial battles have alot of positioning and build up prior to their launch, this is something that is mostly lacking in AoW due to the mechanics of the game. In AoW the map is completely discrete, and stacks can move most anywhere they desire. In Dom you are limited to provinces, its a more abstracted game element that leads by design to more concentrated armies, and more strategic thinking in as far as when to launch an attack, and how to defend your borders. In AoW you essentially cannot defend your borders, though the borders themselves are less important than they are in Dom. This is a significant difference in how one would approach playing either game, and if someone is beholden to one style they will probably have trouble liking or getting used to the other (as there were massive debates on surrender in AoW).

Anyway the differences between AoW and Dom have little to do with units and spells and the like, and much more to do with the fundamental design of the game, and the excecution of that design, that's why its very possible to like both games while feeling that they offer very different things. Unlike most (I said most) RTSs where its just different gfx, but nearly identical gameplay from one game to the next. That is either you like RTS games in general (the preference here is more about weather you like fantasy or WWII or futuristic crap) or you don't like any of them as the gameplay is so much of the same thing over and over.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:45 PM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road

actually, it is 45 dollars....plus shipping...but...if you pre-order it, it is 5 bucks off....so...hmmm....anyways

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM

Private

Reaper222 is on a distinguished road

Is there any point to buy this game for that much? You can download it for free. Even if you don't know jack about warez, just load up google, and type in warez. You will have 5000 warez sites on your list. I will have the game faster than you, and for free!

IF I will like it, MAYBE I will order it! I always buy GOOD games. If I won't like it, I will play with the warez. [Like almost everyone.]
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

*troll=ignore*

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:08 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

...because clearly dominions 2 is going to be a top priority in illegal software distribution...and it will appear on 5000 sites before it even ships...
They already have things for people who want to try games free...they're called DEMOS. And if the company never releases any demo then I don't like them anyway.
So why dont you just try the demo when it appears and then you will buy the game because it is GOOD without any need to do anything illegal.
If not you can leave.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:13 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

I'd have to agree with you licker...but I want to point out that there are occasionally RTS games that are different. Kohan I know of, not to imply there arent more. And Total Annihilation gets points for atmosphere with its music and its cannons that recoil when firing and explosions that light up the screen and its EARLY introduction of 3d to RTS and...where'd I put that CD again?