.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Byzantine Pythium - hype/brainstorming thread

It's KO. Dear lord. Believe me, I'm just trying to prevent fangasming all over the place.

*Deep Breath*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer O View Post
I like Pythium
Yeah, me sort of too. I can really see that you tried to do your own thing with the Hydras and stuff, but you know, my fandom of the Byzantine Empire knows no bounds and it just didn't give me the "mood" I was looking for. Many people seem to enjoy the Pythium with the Hydras and I sort of like LA Pyth because it sort of completely does its own thing without reminding me that much of Byzantine.

Quote:
but I also like the Byzantine Empire a lot, probably more than I like Pythium. Since the first iteration of Pythium I have been bothered by stuff. The lack of Varanginians is one such bother.
Yeah. My teacher of orthodox religion in school always told us stories about how beautiful and wonderful Hagia Sophia was and also he mentioned Byzantium. I sort took intrest in the issue and did some basic research. Once I learned that they had Vikings* in there, I was simply sold.

*It's hard to get more awesome that vikings.

Quote:
Mods are nice as they lets you have the cake and eat it. I think I will eat this cake (if I start a dom3 game in the forseeable future).
Yeah, mods are nice and modding is really quite fun too. Big thanks to you for making so many angels sprites that I was able to use them to frankenstein my own set , it was a big block for me that prevented me from going to complete this mod idea for a long time. My local church has this absolutely gorgeous icon of Michael slaying a snake with a spear that simply struck me with awe when I was a kid. Since the first time I summoned angels in Dom:PPP, I've wanted to see him (and the other archangels) in Dom3 context.

After this I just need to do Thor, Hel and Loki to bring my childhood "heroes" (so to speak, I was really into nordic mytheology too) into dom3.

And now for a progress report:

-> Units are done, but they lack descriptions

-> I'm still trying to do the holy communion spells. Ran into some trouble with the "#nextspells affecting slaves too" mechanic. Apparently only some #effect valued #nextspells get casted by slaves too and buffing spells are not affected by this. I'll just replace the orginal idea of each slave getting a small area "Earth Might" and now the communion master just gets one big "Strenght of Giants" around him instead.

-> About the greek fire thrower unit ("Pyrote"): I changed their function slightly. Their weapon is slighty worse than Salamander attack, but it has AoE 2, which makes absolutely brutal versus infantry. however, since the unit itself is highly vulnerable to fire, they occasionally manage to hit themselves with their flame throwers. Just this sort of new balancing factor that is sort of thematical and unique.

Last edited by Burnsaber; March 8th, 2010 at 06:26 PM..
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Hello KO, and thanks for the new Patch !
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:52 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

NOT DEAD!

I just have one more spell to do and the mod is done after that*. Sorry for the delay, I had to make a couple new heroes and decided to replace the pretty much useless "Triarus" unit with a new legionary composite archer called "Akritoi".

Anyways, I can probably release this thing in the weekend.

*There will be some playtesting done before the release of course.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burnsaber For This Useful Post: