The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 1st, 2003, 08:18 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the "King of the Hill"?

Quote:
Originally posted by geoschmo:
So this is Stone Mill's third straight title defense? Getting a little comfortable on that throne are we King? By the time anyone beats you it's gonna have your cheek imprints on the seat.
SO, if the king does get de-throned, how will we be able to restrain ourselves from making the obvious "Elvis" remark? (groan)
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:05 AM

Sergeant

Gozra is on a distinguished road

I just had an Idea. I did not see it any where so here goes. How about the contenders that are waiting to fight the king Fight amongst themselves and loser drops only one level. That way the line to fight the king does not get too long and we can continue to play at higher levels rather than wait around. Just a thought.
The fact that slaughter is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but does not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later, someone will come along with a sharper sword and hack off our arms
Clausewitz
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:18 AM

First Lieutenant

Stone Mill is on a distinguished road

Thanks to 1FSTCAT for the match, and for your comments.

1FSTCAT beat the pants off me in KOTH Last time we played, and was one of the inspirations for my harping on maxed out combat stats. Being aware of that, I decided to go for the training edge very early. This was risky on my part; because if he would have had a few more minesweepers with your first fleet, you would have forced me to commit my ships to battle before training; and I would have done poorly. His research and expansion were great as always. I hate the fact he always give my pioneer colonies so much trouble, too.

1FSTCAT's early attack was somewhat risky. In the beginning, knew I can defend myself with mines and sats (got them just in time), so I forced him to displace resources with your early planet destroyers. However, his tactic of applying early pressure is great, and he does this as well as anyone I've played. I still don't know how he throws together so many ships so quickly?!? If I made a mistake, it would be very bad for me.

I took an educated guess that he did not have defense against ship capture/training when I saw his carriers with good ECM/sensors. I held my breath before that big battle on my warp point, and it happened to be a rout- but I was counting on that. I can't afford to keep 1FSTCAT in the game. When I made my move, I did so with the best chances at that stage of the game. If this would have been a long game, I would say that my chances would be slim against him.

Cheers,
The Best Darn Looking King You Got

[ May 01, 2003, 23:19: Message edited by: Stone Mill ]
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:34 AM

First Lieutenant

Geo-

My old lady complains about how long I sit on the throne too.

Slynky,
You will miss me terribly when I'm gone... admit it, you love the hair dye and sequins... not to mention the hip shake.

Cheeze,
For a second there I though I would have the honor of retiring as champ, but the heat is on again, baby. If you make it up here one day, you too may feel the Shake, Rattle, and Roll .
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:02 AM

General

Whew!

Good wrap-up on the Hill Title Match.

Also, good to see a friendly ending with good remarks on both sides. Makes PBW and the guys I have met here all worth the worthless Messages I post and the games I hope to find myself in sometime.

Good game, guys!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:11 AM

General

Slynky -vs- Dreico: 2406.1

Game Settings: Standard settings (1 medium homeworld)

Preliminary Info: Having extablished borders and defensive areas in 5 places (3 of them major) in the galaxy, both empires built defenses (and offenses) and allocated them at various points. The Trithian Empire (Slynky) had managed to lay claim to the majority of the galaxy (about 3/5ths). Each empire must have been concerned where a breakthrough would be attempted. The Trithian Empire could afford to wait a bit.

2406.1: The Star Dragons Clan (Dreico) decides to try a daring breakthrough at Teshanna. Unfortunately, this was the Trithian Empire's strongest defensive area. A fleet of 30 Star Dragons [11 mine sweepers (8 LC / 3 DE) and 19 warships (7 LC / 12 DE)] warped to Teshanna. They met the Trithian defenses [33 satellites, ~125 fighters, and a small trained (~10/10) fleet of 6 Frigates]. The defenders fired first and the toll was heavy. Satellites fired over 50 shots without a single miss, fighters destroyed several more ships and the frigates did some light damage. Return fire was without much effect. From a range of 3, 4, and 5, the Trithian frigates could hardly be touched. With only a small portion of ships fitted with PD weapons, the Star Dragons couldn't handle the fighters. In the end, the Trithian Empire surveyed the total destruction of the brave invaders and counted losses: 1 Frigate, 6 satellites, and approximately 35 fighters. The Warphole commander delivered the following words to his fleet:

"The Star Dragon Clan has shown their bravery this day. Though our empires are at war, we shall always mourn the loss of brave warriors be they ours or the enemy's. We will pause in this conflict to inspect the space debris and collect the personal effects of their dead and transfer them to the Star Dragon Clan."
Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Gozguy vs Geoschmo, 2417.5

All the beacons of our worlds are lit in celebration!

The Chin have surendered to us, the war is finally over.

Geoschmo
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Slynky- Congratulations on that battle victory... I had some similar success with sats in my Last match early on... seems like they saved my butt. Kind of unusual for me.

Geo- Congrats. Thanks for the roller coaster ride... looks like his counter strike eventually burned itself out.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:56 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Ok, I went to bed right after the game ended, but I thought you might want more post-game analysis.

Here's the map...

I started in A and Goz started in B. We met fairly early and I expanded into D while Goz controlled C.

Once the heavy fighting started I took the worst of it at first. Then the tide turned and I took out his main fleet and pressed on and drove him out of his homesystem and most of B. About the time I thought I had him beat, he counterattacked down south and wiped out my entire southren fleet. He drove me completely out of D and almost got my homesystem. My survivng main fleets were out of position north and west and could do nothing but distract him.

At that point I accelerated my occupying his colonies, going for the mineral rich planets and leaving the rest to him in the hopes of starving his military. His attack into my homesystem didn't come as soon as I expected. If it had the game likely would have been over for me. I suspect, but won't know without asking him, that his fleet got held up for lack of supplies. hatever the reason it gave me time to throw up some defenses and when he finally attacked my homesystem I was able to catch him at the warp point and wipe out his fleet completely.

Almost at the same time I caught another of his fleets at a warp point trying to drive in the south east corner of my territory. Another desperate warp point defense on my part.

The combiation of losing those two fleets pretty much ended any chance he had, especially considering my northern fleet had by this time made it around the western side and was soming at his remaining colonies in D.

He held out for a time, Probably thinking he could assemble a large enough fleet and slip them past my front line and take out some undefended colonies. I caught his Last fleet at the assembly point though before they could move out and he conceeded.

Great game. I am rady for my next opponent Asmala.

Geoschmo
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:16 PM

General

Nice wrapup, Geo. I like the map idea (and, in fact, considered posting mine at the conclusion but figured not many people give a s--t about "bottom of the hill" results).

I can see where the "snakes eating each other" applies, too. Somewhat like a Yin-Yang.

I don't think I've ever played 175 turns before. (probably 'cause I got beat before then... )