.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bretonnia, Knights of the Grail v.0.83 -- Finally a stable release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this mod Burn. It's absolutely top stuff.
I'm very glad to hear that. You just wait for the Dwarfs. They will rock your socks to the next millenia.

Mind if I use this quote for advertisement purposes?

Here is some stuff from the Sing of the Hammer game thread, thought that it might be better to discuss these things here.

Quote:
Some Bretonnia things, and a bug:

1) Is it deliberate that the questing knight leader has leadership zero? It's really aggravating, being as he comes with troops and produces troops every turn. I always have to recruit a Bretonnian Lord just to tag along with him and bring his troops.
Yeah, he's a bit unfinished at the moment. He was poorleader in 0.6 but it still proved a bit too good as a commander in the early game (basically you could build Knights and summons these to lead them, allowing for 100% maiden/damsel recruit rate in capitol). In retrospect, I should've just let them be as they were.

Quote:
2) I'd like to request a minor sprite change to the questing knight commanders, so I can recognise them from their troops on the battlefield.
Well, this would be a consistency issue then. You see, I could give a different graphic to the Q.Knight commander you get from "Call of the Quest", but the commanders you get from "Errantry War" and "Virtue of the Quest" would be just a GoR'd basic Questing Kinght, which might raise some confusion.

Quote:
3) I don't understand why Virtue of the Quest is both harder to cast and to research than Errantry war. I mean basically, it's just Errantry War + free cloud trapeze, right? I can see maybe it is worth a little research to get the option of that convenience (though it is rather niche), but if I ever manage to get an S3 damsel the chances of me using her for that are almost zero. Short version: I suggest it should be S2. Or even S1.
Hmm, quite true. I'm just trying make a nice and logical procression of the "Quest" spells, but I haven't made the top spell "Grail Crusade" (requiring S4!) at thaum 9. I'll probably boost the spell to summon some Grail Knights or a Grail Hero too in the next version. Grail Crusade will be like the "Virtue of the Quest", but also summon 100! Pilgrims.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Colonel

Also, in a completely unrelated topic, how are people liking the Green Knight summon? It's a quite new mechanic (basically unique battle summon) and I'd be intrested in hearing what people think about it. Is it worth going for?
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM

Private

HahnHolio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
Also, in a completely unrelated topic, how are people liking the Green Knight summon? It's a quite new mechanic (basically unique battle summon) and I'd be intrested in hearing what people think about it. Is it worth going for?
i think its pretty cool!

gives some more flavor to the nation ... and its nicely done too ^^
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Corporal

Deathjester is on a distinguished road

This is a superb mod. I'm really liking it, the graphics, the mechanics (so far, have not finished a game or tried all the new spells) and the heroes (the black knight is very nicely done).

I do have to second the annoyance of questing knight being noleader.
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathjester View Post
This is a superb mod. I'm really liking it, the graphics, the mechanics (so far, have not finished a game or tried all the new spells) and the heroes (the black knight is very nicely done).
Thanks, always glad to hear that I'm doing something right. Also glad to hear that I managed to nail the Black Knight without a hitch, writing his description took ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathjester View Post
I do have to second the annoyance of questing knight being noleader.
Yeah, I'll make a new version of Bretonnia (0.9 likely) after I update dwarfs to 0.8. Should take 2 or 3 weeks, perhaps more if I actually start working on one of my numereous side projects in my "to-do list" (like, shading tutorial and/or general modding guide).

The new version will contain some minor fixes, improved sprite for the King hero and something extra (perhaps the "Grail Crusade" spell or the Beastmaster hero).
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road

After playing against the other Warhammer nations with Dwarves, I noticed that I got absolutely raped by high Brettonian province defense. Looking at the .dm, do they really get(among other things) 1.5 mounted knights of the realm per point after 20? I suddenly don't feel nearly so bad about Dwarf province defense.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kianduatha View Post
After playing against the other Warhammer nations with Dwarves, I noticed that I got absolutely raped by high Brettonian province defense. Looking at the .dm, do they really get(among other things) 1.5 mounted knights of the realm per point after 20? I suddenly don't feel nearly so bad about Dwarf province defense.
Yeah, intentional. It represents the fact that the "infastructure" of the province is so well developed that Knights of the Realm have been assigned to rule it as feudal lords. It can really suprise an unprepared opponent, especially if you go for decisive battle in bretonnian soil.

But like we all know, buying 20+ pd everywhere is just waste of gold. And there are ways to bypass the KotR's in high bretonnian pd (like flying fear/awe thug charging in the first turn), since the frontline is compased of sucky men-at-arms, the suckers will surround the guy, preventing the knights from getting hits in and everything gets scared of the fear aura and run away.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:28 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Beautiful graphics and nicely thematic.
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
But like we all know, buying 20+ pd everywhere is just waste of gold.
Actually, something like 30-40 pd chased off a blue dragon with BoW. No dom 9, but with CBM's change to 20 prot he was killing everything else I threw him at.
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but there's a time and a place for that much PD. You just can't afford to plop that much PD down in every province. Not unless you're playing with insane amounts of gold, anyway.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP