This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the \"King of the Hi

Hmmmm, comes down to (really) as many ships as you like but no more than 10 per sector OR a set limit of ships, say, 50 or 75 and as many of them in a sector as you like. I can see where the first to put together the limit of ships and head out for battle (and win it) will pretty much have won the game in that very battle (assuming a somewhat lopsided victory). It DOES do away with sector limits making things easier, gamewise, I suppose, but sets the stage for a one-battle/game-won situation.

Go ahead and coach PB into how to make the mod (if he needs it) to set a limit of 60 ships and 500 units and lets see what happens...
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I don't think it is very different from a regular game, actually. You may want to attack as soon as possible anyway, if you think you are likely to have an edge in battle (that's a big if). It *does* set an upper bound on the wait, though... no point in waiting two more turns if you already have your whole bunch of ships.

So, if you don't want to make a run for a quick win (you know I cannot hope to win through tactics), what about a special rule for the X first turns? Say, no more than 10 ships per sector for the first 30 turns, but the upper bound becomes plain 60 ships afterwards. If you want to keep them all in a single sector, sure, go ahead.

Basically, my concern with the present rules is "how am I going to break through a wormhole?". I only see one way of doing that, and that one is too expensive to carry out routinely. I think being able to get more ships than the defenders will make offences a good deal easier, though not trivial by any measure.

Then again, I'm sure we both all plenty of dirty tricks ready, so perhaps we shouldn't go too much discussing. I wouldn't want to reveal that my design will feature weapons and engines. Would spoil your fun, really.

Going below 200/1000 is as easy as editing the Settings.txt file. I'm told there are some glitches with very low values, though. So, unless someone knows for sure, I'd just go with a house rule. Both figures are available easily in the game, if memory serves (I haven't done any SEIV turn for two months or so) so it shouldn't be too difficult to check.

Still waiting for confirmation on that point, and heading back to bed. Last exam (except some nice little chat next week) is tomorrow, so I'll stop acting quantic soon.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM

General

Quote:
Alneyan said:
I don't think it is very different from a regular game, actually. You may want to attack as soon as possible anyway, if you think you are likely to have an edge in battle (that's a big if). It *does* set an upper bound on the wait, though... no point in waiting two more turns if you already have your whole bunch of ships.

So, if you don't want to make a run for a quick win (you know I cannot hope to win through tactics), what about a special rule for the X first turns? Say, no more than 10 ships per sector for the first 30 turns, but the upper bound becomes plain 60 ships afterwards. If you want to keep them all in a single sector, sure, go ahead.

Basically, my concern with the present rules is "how am I going to break through a wormhole?". I only see one way of doing that, and that one is too expensive to carry out routinely. I think being able to get more ships than the defenders will make offences a good deal easier, though not trivial by any measure.

Then again, I'm sure we both all plenty of dirty tricks ready, so perhaps we shouldn't go too much discussing. I wouldn't want to reveal that my design will feature weapons and engines. Would spoil your fun, really.

Going below 200/1000 is as easy as editing the Settings.txt file. I'm told there are some glitches with very low values, though. So, unless someone knows for sure, I'd just go with a house rule. Both figures are available easily in the game, if memory serves (I haven't done any SEIV turn for two months or so) so it shouldn't be too difficult to check.

Still waiting for confirmation on that point, and heading back to bed. Last exam (except some nice little chat next week) is tomorrow, so I'll stop acting quantic soon.
60-ship limit from the beginning. We'll just see who is daring. Besides, it might wind up being two "riot runs" at the same time... .
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

parabolize is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alneyan said:
Going below 200/1000 is as easy as editing the Settings.txt file. I'm told there are some glitches with very low values, though. So, unless someone knows for sure, I'd just go with a house rule.
There is also ways around the limits like mothballing (mothballed ships aren't counted) putting Qs on hold with one turn left and carriers/weapons platforms (only units in space are counted). So the house rules are probably a better way to do it.
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM

General

Quote:
parabolize said:
Quote:
Alneyan said:
Going below 200/1000 is as easy as editing the Settings.txt file. I'm told there are some glitches with very low values, though. So, unless someone knows for sure, I'd just go with a house rule.
There is also ways around the limits like mothballing (mothballed ships aren't counted) putting Qs on hold with one turn left and carriers/weapons platforms (only units in space are counted). So the house rules are probably a better way to do it.
Hadn't even thought of that. In fact, didn't even know it. I thought it didn't count against maintenance.

Otherwise, queue on hold is fine if one wants to tie up a SY indefinitely.

I think we might be able to allow mothballing but we'll see what the opponent thinks tomorrow.
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Corporal

Glyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Slynky said:
Quote:
Glyn said:
Manual Placement
Zero Race Points
Full Tech
No Adv Traits
Medium Spiral
One-Average world start.
starting resources Low (5000).
No openers or closers (gentleman's agreement)
Warp points anywhere.

OK, looks good to me.
Should be a fun game. I'll ready an empire later today.
We need someone to create this game please.

Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM

General

My intention was to follow the same rules as the game, so "60 ships active in space and 500 units deployed"; I'm reluctant to use the game settings to achieve that since there might be unexpected effects.

I don't have any opinion about mothballing; I think there is one figure for those ships, if memory serves, so it wouldn't be too hard to track. I'd recommend only counting ships/units fully built against the limit. I leave counting units in cargo to your discretion. Not counting them would make units a lot more important, I think; counting them should leave them with a big niche, but a niche nevertheless.

I got back home quite a bit later than expected, so I'm not sure if I'll fully catch up with KOTH today (I just noticed I'd forgotten to create at least one game, so it seems I do have some catching up to do). That aside, I don't expect any further disruption of service all the way to May. Then, life will get interesting again, and I'll step down from KOTH in August at the latest.
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM

General

Quote:
Alneyan said:
My intention was to follow the same rules as the game, so "60 ships active in space and 500 units deployed"; I'm reluctant to use the game settings to achieve that since there might be unexpected effects.

I don't have any opinion about mothballing; I think there is one figure for those ships, if memory serves, so it wouldn't be too hard to track. I'd recommend only counting ships/units fully built against the limit. I leave counting units in cargo to your discretion. Not counting them would make units a lot more important, I think; counting them should leave them with a big niche, but a niche nevertheless.
Arrrrggghhhhh! OK, let's forget limits.
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM

General

Ready to upload my empire to PBW but now PBW is down (or else it's just me that can't get to it). Guess the game got set up in that magic window of time...hehe.
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM

General

My Empire is up. I'm not using my favourite shipset this time, though, and I've picked an absolutely awful Empire name. Ah well, your ships aren't any better, even if you fight for the Mnibari or the Grande Armée.

Just for the sake of redudancy, we drop *all* limits on ships, be they total or per sector. Correct?