This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Private

SothoTalKer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: MOO3

If the publisher and the developer would have cared more about the game it could have become much better. But unlike SEV which also has its flaws but gets improved constantly, MoO3 has been abandoned. If you let people hack the exe just to fix bugs it is clearly a sign that you don't care anymore.
It is a disappointment for all MoO2 fans that expected a sequel with a similar gameplay. But if you view it unbiased it is an OK game - you have to work around the bugs, apply fanmade patches to make it more enjoyable. You have to get used to the macromanagement, though.
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the money interface is pretty broken. There is a thread about it in the atariboards. I remember that it goes like this: The amount that is displayed is not really your actual treasure, a few budget "positions" are missing.
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Corporal

cshank2 is on a distinguished road

Well, I reinstalled MOO3 last night. Got the Tropical and 1024x768 mods. Game isn't half bad now.

(Yes, I'm being serious.)
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:57 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

I didn't really like the high-res mod. Something about the interface didn't feel right to me. It's nice to have the lists show more items, though.
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Private

SothoTalKer is on a distinguished road

There have been a few nice mods. And the game is also very easy modable. Although the developer/publisher never made any docs regarding that.
They acted like: "Hey you got the game from us - now play it. Oh, there are a few bugs? Ok, we will make 2 patches and then thats it - no more support - 2 patches should be enough to fix the game (even though we released it in beta stage), we don't care about this MoO series at all. Be lucky that you got a new MoO. Ah, and the game is modable, but you have to figure out things alone, we won't help you with it.

More patches, more fixes, a developer/publisher that would have cared for the game itself, the MoO series and the fans would not have buried the game. The game was released on 02/25/2003. The latest patch was released 07/18/2003. I do not know if it is common practise that a game is abandoned after 6 month, even if the developer and the publisher know that there are many bugs left.

The game IS good with the additional fan-made fixes/patches. But it will never be as good as SEV due to the reasons stated above.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Corporal

cshank2 is on a distinguished road

It's Atari. They just suck no matter what.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, i agree. Atari is by FAR the worst publisher out there. I figured as much after they abandoned Temple of Elemental Evil.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

Quicksilver was a pretty decent developer company, I'd say. They really listened to fan input, they were ambitious, and they listened to my favorite music, Tool. Not much they can do when the publishers cuts the funding, though.

I thought I read somewhere about MoO4 being planned by some other company.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wade said:
I installed the Tropical recently. I did not even try to play again because the change list states "Race Selection (Ensures no duplicate races until all used at least once) - Bhruics Patcher ". There were still duplicate races while all were not used at least once. Also the texture on many panels was changed to some funky, annoing, attempt to look like stone marble. Many of the changes in these unofficial upgrade lists(Vanilla, Strawberry, Tropical at: http://www.moo3.at/mods/index.php?ac...aycat&catid=17 ) seem superficial or opinionated if really considered.

I re-installed Master of Orion III as Stock/Official only. I may try to play again in the future. The game is... alright. The official update version 1.2.5 resolved many issues but not all, of course. There are many bad aspects but also many good features that would be nice if seen in more games...maybe in future Space Empires?

Should we start a constructive list of the positive and negative features in Master of Orion III?

-Wade
Okay, I originally responded too quikly with this statement. The Vanilla mod actually seems good for fixes while keeping the official design of the game. As for the duplicate races issue, I think that I was seeing only the Orion Senate empires present. Some were duplicates but many more were not in the senate. Vanilla increases the maximum number of empires.

Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate, and Experience with Master of Orin 3(version 1.2.5); Vanilla(or Strawberry or Tropical for more flare). http://www.moo3.at/mods/index.php?ac...aycat&catid=17
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road

I originally paid $49.99 for Master of Orion 3 with pre-order at a game store. I had only attempted to finish one long game over months. I never finished although I was winning after a struggle. Damned Ithkul Harvesters! I remember I was fighting two empires of them on opposite sides of my empire.

I suppose I might try again to get my money's worth. I still have the box and manual. Also, I still have the Strategy Guide that I actually paid $19.99 for. It wasn't needed though. I was just a big fan then. Some of the charts are helpful but others ,I think, are inaccurate.

I do like the story and style of the Ithkul Harvesters as a dangerous enemy though.

I really liked how each AI empire had random names while the race names were always standard. Sometimes the empire names were cool, bizzare, or funny. Maybe this can work in Space Empires VI.

-Wade