.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

Tolkien is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mind Hunting and Astral levels

Since we're on the topic: if a magic duel kills a communion master, do the communion slaves die as well?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Magic Duel is an area effect (it will kill anyone in the same square as the loser) and communions don't transmit area effects so the answer is probably "no."

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Tolkien is on a distinguished road

Wait, magic duel is an AoE 1?

This is also a startling relevation.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
Since we're on the topic: if a magic duel kills a communion master, do the communion slaves die as well?
No, they do not die. Also, I am pretty sure magic duels target at least somewhat randomly. I played a game where I was magic dueling communions with small, low hp weak mages and large, strong mages with lots of hp. The first two magic duels hit the large guys, but then I also hit a small one or two while there were still some of the bigger guys on the field.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

When thinking about sending out your astral pretender to fight, you'd want to consider the astral capabilities of your opponent. If your enemy can get within 3 astral of you easily (e.g. S1 versus S4 pretender, S3 versus S6 pretender), don't.

After that, it depends on a simple cost/benefit analysis.

S3-4 mages are usually only rare, cap-only. I don't seriously believe anyone would expend them magic duelling an S+5 pretender, as they'd only have a 3% chance of success, and anyone desperate enough to waste that many expensive mages when the other guy can just call his god back (albeit with -1 all paths) is either doomed or so powerful it doesn't matter. It's quite possible your average opponent wouldn't even take the risk against an S+4 god: 8% chance means stastically you'd very likely lose more than half a dozen. On the other hand, someone might very happily expend a ton of cheap 60-100GP S1/S2 mages to kill a S+5 pretender, and certainly an S+4 pretender.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM

Private

Phonics is on a distinguished road

Just got my S9 pretender feebleminded by an S1 mage.

Feels good
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM

Private

Oparin is on a distinguished road

I was just playing a 1 on 1 game where I had about 8 enchanters (1S2N) in a province scripted to communion master/slave, and my enemy's pretender was 9S and cast Mind Hunt one time on that province and lost. Since the pretender was an oracle and they had no way of healing him, it pretty much ended the game right there.

I've read over this thread but I still don't understand how that was possible. What are the chances of that happening?

edit: Hi Phonics!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Mind Hunt is not the same as a Magic Duel.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM

Sergeant

TheDemon is on a distinguished road

He didn't "lose" the mind hunt. He got his astral cord cut. His own astral level is irrelavent for this. An S1 mage has a 30 to 40% chance of cutting a cord on a hostile astral mage performing a remote astral ritual on the province, regardless of the hostile mage's level.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:28 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agema View Post
When thinking about sending out your astral pretender to fight, you'd want to consider the astral capabilities of your opponent. If your enemy can get within 3 astral of you easily (e.g. S1 versus S4 pretender, S3 versus S6 pretender), don't.

After that, it depends on a simple cost/benefit analysis.

S3-4 mages are usually only rare, cap-only. I don't seriously believe anyone would expend them magic duelling an S+5 pretender, as they'd only have a 3% chance of success, and anyone desperate enough to waste that many expensive mages when the other guy can just call his god back (albeit with -1 all paths) is either doomed or so powerful it doesn't matter. It's quite possible your average opponent wouldn't even take the risk against an S+4 god: 8% chance means stastically you'd very likely lose more than half a dozen. On the other hand, someone might very happily expend a ton of cheap 60-100GP S1/S2 mages to kill a S+5 pretender, and certainly an S+4 pretender.
I'd send an S3/S4 cap-only mage to Magic Duel an S5 god. You don't even need to slap on a cap to teleport. Disregarding friendly casualties, an S4 has a 15/36 chance against S5, an S3 has a 11/36 chance against S5.

When the god is called back, he'll have S4 and next time around it will be even easier.

I think I don't understand what you mean by an "S+5" pretender. Is that somehow different from "S5"?
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?