.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Private

Drok'Slit is on a distinguished road
Default Chaos Daemon Sprites

Hey, I've been playing Dominions 3 for around 9 months and I've uploaded a few mods for nations, the warhammer ones only really, like Lizardmen, Skaven, Ogres, and Chaos. I played a games with the Chaos mod and I wasnt very pleased with the daemon sprites they had so I wanted a shot at trying to make the chaos daemon sprites. I'm a beginner at making sprites so my first ones might be low quality. I want to show you what I have so far and give feedback, also ways to improve them. I eventually want to mod whole nations on my own.

Here as the 2 sprites I've made so far. I'll make their action sprite later.

Khorne Bloodletter
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...loodletter.png

Horror of Tzeentch
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ofTzeentch.png

What do you guys think so far? I like how the horror came out but his 2 left arms I feel just arnt 100% good, but other then that I like him.

The bloodletter I tried but I dunno... He's good but I think his shading needs to be improved, but how? What do you guys think?

-Edit-
Here are the Daemonette and the Plaguebearer. I like how these 2 came out.

Daemonette
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...Daemonette.png

Plaguebearer
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...aguebearer.png

Here they are, now any feedback that you can give to make them look better or any tips would be welcome. What do you all think?

Last edited by Drok'Slit; December 28th, 2009 at 09:30 AM..
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chaos Daemon Sprites

The bloodletters arms are short, making him look like an adorable baby bloodleeter XD The head is too big for the arms are torso; he could be better proportioned.

The Plaguebearer could use a horn/spike on the top of his head, as is common with PBs.

Otherwise, they look great. The horror is fantastic and the daemonette looks very good, albiet she could use slightly thinner legs.

Great work!
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

WOW nice work for a first effort. Actually that would be nice work for any effort.

Keep it up
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

These suffer from some common problems. You need to be less subtle with shading, you need more shading and highlighting to add definition and detail and you need to thin a lot of the limbs to make them less cartoony. I would also strongly suggest less bright base colours.

As for exactly how to improve these sprites, you just have to practice and get a feel for that yourself. Look at some of the more recent (and best) KO sprites and see how he shades and adds detail.

You're on the right track but these definitely need more work. Personally I find basic graphics a huge turnoff in a mod. I think the current warhammer chaos mod could use (along with some other things) more graphical work for example, before I'd play with it.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Private

Which are the KO sprites? I'd like some material other, specifically demon or occult type sprites, to kind of help guide my sprite making in the right direction.

Yeah same here with the chaos Mod, and I would eventually like to make some mods myself in time. First I want to get own sprite making before I start a large project.

Thanks for the compliments and the feedback and especially you sombre! I LOVE your lizardmen mod btw

I'll try updating the sprites soon, hopefully today!
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

KO did all the sprites for dom3.

Do you have the zip containing all the sprites in the base game? It's obviously very useful. By the way I posted this 10 minute hack to turn my verminlord pretender for skaven into a keeper of secrets in the other thread. You are welcome to improve it if you'd like. It's very rough currently but should be ok as a base to work from.

Thanks for the compliment on Lizardmen - it's definitely the best graphical work I've done. I will be updating it in the near future with some more bits and bobs and a couple balance changes.
Attached Images

Old December 31st, 2009, 07:15 PM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

Not bad! The Plaguebearer/Daemonette are definitely better. Is it possible to add some more colors (so it looks coruscating) to the Horror without making it look incoherent and messy?

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM

Private

Ok I updated the bloodletter, I simply scrapped the bulk of him and started fresh with the sprite. It's a different style but I think it suits the unit better, I still think the bloodletter could use some work... but its a big improvement from the first.

I added the horn on the plaguebearer since I went through the Chaos Daemons codex and found out that a fact.

Also thinned out the daemonettes thunder thighs lol, yeah I didnt notice her legs were that large xD good eye there!

Thanks sombre for the greater daemon sprite, ill work on it some see if I can improve on it, I'm sure you would do a much better job ^_^; but I guess this is good practice for me, thanks.
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Intimidating looking.

Are you shooting for a player-played nation (fairly balanced) or an AI opponent type of nation?
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Private

what? chaos daemons? since there is already a chaos mod out there, I wouldnt mind just allowing the creator to use these for the daemon summons.

I eventually wanna make player played nations though I got some ideas but I wanna get good at sprite making so I can have graphics for my units before I make code or whatever it takes for a nation.