This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 7th, 2001, 07:31 AM

Corporal

Jason2 is on a distinguished road
Default What a beautiful sight....

I am playing a game set on High diff with medium bonus. I had expanded to about 8 systems and had about 24 planets... Shields V, DUC 5, Armor 5 (scattering)... and then I saw it, a Xi'chung Hive Fleet of 17 ships... they glassed every planet I had in the system. So I thought, I'll show em, and sent about 10 ships to the next nearest system (expecting them to disband their fleet, surely it is a fluke)... nope, they glassed the next system and then warped to my home system... it was at this point I decided a new game was in order. Before I did though, a SECOND fleet of 18 Xi'chung ships appeared behind the first - it was a beautiful sight

Jason2
Old March 7th, 2001, 07:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What a beautiful sight....

Ah, the power of the "star over" button. They never knew what hit em.
Old March 7th, 2001, 07:02 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

I would like to know what patch Version you're using and any mods, etc. I'd like to see the AI send a fleet like that at me.....finally...
Old March 7th, 2001, 08:30 PM

Major

DirectorTsaarx is on a distinguished road

I've seen fleets that big in 1.19, no mods, hard diff/low bonus; of course, I've never been ATTACKED by a fleet that large... but those fleets still discouraged me from attacking the adjacent planet...
Old March 7th, 2001, 09:30 PM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

2 games ago, patch 1.27b, playing ice-oxygen,
low bonus, high diff, traits- aggressive,
schemer, cunning. During game I made partnership with Nee. Later during game I found 2 fleets sitting over 2 of my worlds. one fleet had 33 dreadnaughts the other 17 dreadnaughts. Only problem was they just sat there, never did anything. Late when we went to war they left going ??????? don't know what happpened. lost game thru Intell all 8 AI ganged up stole everything, anarchy etc.
Nice fleets just AI never used it as far as I know. Have had other games same thing, large fleets just sitting over my worlds anywhere from 7-30 ships..... mac5732

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old March 7th, 2001, 09:41 PM

Private

gforce is on a distinguished road

I am in my first game, v1.27, Mephisto's 1.60 mod, low bonus, and high number of AI's, and ran into a similar fleet of 18 Xichung vessels. Luckily for me, I only lost a long range colony ship I had built to try and find something to colonize. The Xichung and Xiati have large fleets with much better tech than I do. The only thing saving me is the large number of nebula, asteroid, and black hole sectors which act as buffers between those heavy hitters.
Old March 7th, 2001, 10:34 PM

Corporal

Jason2 is on a distinguished road

I am using 1.27b (or whatever with the newest patch)... the 1.6 modpack from Mephisto et al. and on High Difficulty and with a Medium Bonus. I set the computer to low # of opponents but handpick: Darlocks, Earth Alliance, Narn, Sergetti, Torons, Xichung - these are all on 5000 racial points and I have made sure all the points are used up for them. Note: I too am using all 5000 (3000 for emotionless), which makes a difference since I knew I had given myself a bit of a 'soft' start. I was playing Rock/Carbon Dioxide and only had about 5 non-domed, but still a pretty strong start.

The XiChung kicked my butt (I played it out today) and I hope the next game offers the same challenge.

Jason2
Old March 8th, 2001, 12:28 AM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

hmm, guess I am erm..lucky? ever since the patch before 1.19 I have had the Ai (inconsistently) use multiple ship fleets on me. and yes they would park a fleet over my planets (refueling I gues) but they would about 40% of the tiem glass that world if it was declared when they were over it. The EEE, even back then, almost always had huge fleets (as many as 75 one time) come to spank ol' pathy
Old March 8th, 2001, 01:31 AM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road

The TDM ModPack comes with the Xi'Chung Expert EMP file. IMHO, this is the best race I have ever seen. I was rampaging through the galaxy until I came upon one of the Xi'Chung planets. Whew! Very, very nasty medium weapon platform. That one planet stopped by fleet dead.

I've been lucky so far, though. Their fleet of 41 ships is one system over engaging the Earth Alliance. So far, I've been lucky and haven't had to engage their fleet yet. Soon, though...

Oh, did I mention that I switched the #1 player to human control to see what he's putting on his ships? Cloaking Device 3!!!

I love this game! And thank you very much to the creator of the Xi'Chung! Oops, gotta go. That game is at home, and I'm still at work.
Old March 8th, 2001, 02:34 AM

Private

doctorcheese is on a distinguished road

Have you folks seen that the standard races within the game have the same level of tenacity and fleet-building that these custom races have? I'm eager to download the new patch, plus identify the right mods, to run the game with the standard races (which are quite a few I must add with delight) before I run any custom races.

Thanks for any insight!
dr