Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 24th, 2001, 11:18 PM

Private

golf_prez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: How old are you ?

good to meet everyone, here goes....

just turned 36, married, having our first child in February (very excited!!) live just outside of Toronto, Canada.

Work as a Project Manager for an IT company, and I keep telling my wife that I need to play 4X games to keep my organizational, planning and management skills sharp

Panzer General, most Avalon Hill games...
Got into computers because of the games!! Starfire was first I think.... Civilization - best game ever, until I played SEIV.....
addicted to GOLF (the real game...not computers) am SOOOOOOO close to breaking 80 for the first time, that I can't stop playing...

cheers guys and girls

golf_prez!
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:37 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

22, within 10 1/2 days of getting married. Graduate student in Florida. Play SEIV to relieve the stress of doing projects. Okay, so I do projects to relieve the stress of playing SEIV. Currently have no life besides SEIV and analyzing Beethoven. Thus, my first attempt at anything approaching a mod.

------------------
"The Unpronounceable" Krsqk
Basic Tech Mod
--Basic Tech Mod v.75

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall
Old July 25th, 2001, 08:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

CW is on a distinguished road

I'm 20 and live in Australia, born in Hong Kong and spent most of my early years there and also a year in the US. Moved here a few years ago, finished high school and got myself into Uni Last year. Currently in my second year doing a B.E degree on Aeronautical Engineering, I love strategy games, flight simulators and anything to do with planes.
Old July 25th, 2001, 02:29 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

Just turned 31. Live outside of Toronto Canada in a town called bowmanville. I have been playing Strat games for many years ( dad introduced me to MULE,) I returned the favour with Stars. Been playing the SE series since SE III.

For work I work for EDS at GM in Oshawa. Mostly PM work with deploying Web applications and VB apps.

Been reading these Posts for ages and finally decided to start posting. So hello Everyone.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old July 25th, 2001, 03:24 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road

I'm 40, married with 4 kids. I started playing wargames with my dad when we got Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge from a second-hand store when I was a kid. I was on the chess team in high school (Geek alert! Geek alert!) and I have been playing all manner of computer games since a friend and I got access to Collosal Cave over 20 years ago. If it's a game, I'll play it (although some of the modern games have pushed the gore level to the point that I won't touch them).

Edit: Oops, forgot about the career part:

I've been attempting to force my will on computers in one fashion or other since 1979. Most of that time has been spent as a programmer/analyst. One of the interesting things about programming is that you have to be an instant "expert" in al kinds of fields that have nothing to do with computers. I've had to learn about home energy consumption, civil engineering, telephone engineering, hospital billing, credit card procesing, shipping line tracking and general accounting. So for those of you that are getting an education in preparation to become programmers, make sure that you have a well rounded background that prepares you for just about anything. You will never know what you are going to be expected to set up systems for.

[This message has been edited by Alpha Kodiak (edited 25 July 2001).]

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old July 26th, 2001, 08:31 AM

Sergeant

Quikngruvn is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by nerfman:
28 - work in manufacturing operations for a major corporation in Greenville, SC....

I am in absolute shock there is someone else here from the Upstate of South Carolina!

[faint]

[/faint]

Sorry. Now, lessee... I'm 28 years old, male, married three years with a three year old son, and live near Greenville, South Carolina. By trade, I am a PC technician/low-level network admin/aspiring webmaster, though currently on the Quest for Gainful Employment (or, I need a job!). I like gaming (naturally!), music, trivia, and being amazed daily by my son.

I started on board games in my youth, and started playing D&D at around age 10. I also played Star Fleet Battles with that same group of players. After playing Pool of Radiance about seven times, my first real computer-strategy addiction was Civilization (when I first got it, I played it for 19 hours straight). Then I progressed through Master of Orion, Civ 2, MOO 2, Baldur's Gate and Pharaoh (with a little Doom and Half-Life thrown in there to exercise my reflexes) before SEIV became my current addiction.

Last book read: either _Fox in Socks_ or _The Cat in the Hat Comes Back_, depending on which order my son wants them read to him (his current addiction, since the beginning of July). And, yes, he will be a gamer too. (He already uses the mouse better than some computer Users I supported!)

Just read through the whole thread-- a wonderful mix of gamers here ("Serious Gamers Only!"). A great mix of age range, nationality, and background.... Maybe I'll learn a thing or two!

Quikngruvn

Old July 27th, 2001, 05:06 PM

Corporal

Antonin is on a distinguished road

Hi All

I'm 44 and live in the US state of Ohio. Married for 14 years, no kids. I work as a business analyst for a Major Multinational Corporation.

Interests: computer gaming, history, sci-fi, electronic music.

My first computer game was the original Sim City. I play strategy games mostly (Civ2, Pharoh, Cutthoats, Sim Sity 3000, Tropico, Alpha Centauri), with an occasional round of something like Mechwarrior 3 when I feel the need to be mindlessly destructive, or Asheron's Call when I want to hack-and-slash in a fantasy setting and 'be' with other people.
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife." - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #48
Old July 27th, 2001, 09:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Natsef-Amun:
...or Asheron's Call when I want to hack-and-slash in a fantasy setting and 'be' with other people.

'be' with people? I really want to chastise you for that, but sadly I know exactly what you mean. oddly enough, I know several very socially apt individuals (including myself, i like to think) with similar afflictions. Id go outside and walk to the park now to clear that bit of digital degerneracy from my head, but i have to check just a few more Posts first...

------------------
"...the green, sticky spawn of the stars"
(with apologies to H.P.L.)
Old July 27th, 2001, 10:50 PM

Corporal

Antonin is on a distinguished road

What I mean by 'be' with other people is 'play games with something other than an AI.'

Actually, I'm not much of a social type. I'd rather read a book than watch a sporting event, and I stopped nipping down to the local pub some time ago because I just cant stand listening to nearby loudmouths yapping on their cellphones.

When your interests trend toward things like experimental music, history, etc, it's kind of hard to find people to hang out with other than virtually...
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife." - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #48
Old July 27th, 2001, 11:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Natsef-Amun:
What I mean by 'be' with other people is 'play games with something other than an AI.'

Actually, I'm not much of a social type. I'd rather read a book than watch a sporting event, and I stopped nipping down to the local pub some time ago because I just cant stand listening to nearby loudmouths yapping on their cellphones.

When your interests trend toward things like experimental music, history, etc, it's kind of hard to find people to hang out with other than virtually...

thats what I meant too. sorry, i did not mean to insinuate any sort of propensity for, umm, Online intimacy. I usually tend towards dive bars where the yuppies on cellphones are affraid to hang out after dark, and I find that most of my friends are interested in history and experimental music as well.

Those Online people have to hang out somewhere in real life, i guess it just helps that my friends are all geeks. never the less, we all spend far too much time socializing Online. like me, right now.