This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old February 20th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Sergeant

Location: Milwaukie-Home of the Norwegian World Domination Party
Tnarg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proportions Mod version 3.0.3 in the works...

Any good master mind AI builders out there? Someone please say that an AI can be developed for this great mod that will offer a bit of a challange and utilize the amazing degree of complexity to a degree of something comprehendable and rational.

This is one mod where micro management is something akin to creating a masterpiece civilization, I just want something to keep me in check everynow and then.
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:14 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proportions Mod version 3.0.3 posted

Good feedback on the AI issues, guys. I really haven't taken time to look at the AI at all since 3.0.1, and then I just did basic tweaks to get them to research and build working colonizers.

Before 3.0, the AI was much better, although not really wonderful.

I do think it would probably be possible to make an AI that would work well in 3.x, but it would take a lot of time, which I'm not going to be able to devote myself. I do, however, know what can be done, and would be very happy to give tips to anyone who wants to try to fix it.

First, any AI needs to be based on (or at least import a whole lot of changes from) a Proportions 3.x AI, and not an AI from the unmodded game.

The worst problem is building Cultural Centers on colonies (as that won't get accomplished for 1000 turns or so). Which AI have people seen this with? The unmodded AI will do this because it is set to go for resource production or research abilities. The Proportions AI's are set to instead look for bogus AI tags which get them to build the right types of facilties. It's possible though that the changes to facility (especially homeworld) abilities in 3.0 have broken that solution, but it should be correctable.

The next worst problem is probably the Base Space Yard issue. The problem is probably from trying to fit an Orbital Space Yard on a 500kT base. In order to avoid having the AI try to upgrade and fail, we probably need to add a new bogus AI tag that allows the AI's to build two types of bases: ordinary spaceyards on 500kT bases, and OSY's on 1000kT bases.

Fighters should be do-able by the AI, but will require re-doing all of them, because the fighters are a lot different in 3.x.

Empires designed to use Meson Blasters and APB's will need to be adjusted to research and design for Lasers and Charged Particle Beams.

Probably the best overall approach is to try to get one AI working doing what it should, and once that's done, base the other AI's off of it.

The whole sequence of what makes sense to do, what ship designs work, and what economic strains come up first, is different in 3.x vs. 2.x, so there is probably a lot of work to do to get that right. The way I did it in 2.x was to watch the AI play a game, see what it was doing wrong, and make changes, then go back and watch it again, and repeat and repeat.

It's a lot of work. Other options to help are to give the AI a bonus, and/or to add some AI-only racial techs to give them advantages (as JLS did for AIC mod).

PvK
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Corporal

TheDeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

Mine is far from good but it does work for a hundred (?) turns or so. (At least that's as far as I've taken it). It's a little off because I had wanted to use fighters for it, but..ah well. If I get time to work on it more, I will, but this one works decently well. So long as it can get a Refining colony, anyways- it may be a good idea for homeworlds to start with a radioactives facility, the AI isnt smart enough to scrap and build one, after all.

I haven't tested the latest research build but it should work.

http://www.deadlyshoe.com/lunar.zip

Can extract this to your SE IV directory, assuming your proportions directory is /proportions/, sorry for the mess and that it uses its own pic directory. I didn't want to screw anything up while I was messing around. It actually just usces the Praetorian set with a L pasted across it.

it typically tries to build 3 structures of the appropriate type and then a major facility. It uses OSY bases. The race is set up so it has crappy aggressiveness, so the base early warship is limited at 200kt to maximize to-hit bonus. It doesnt start bigger ships until cruisers, and prefers seekers on those. If you load the test savegame, the Bodroba States are next door and present quite a challenge since the race is crystal tech and the Bodroba use DUCs (skipping armor) and small fighting ships (v. hard to hit). The colony setup is pretty crappy, though.
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:49 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Thanks TheDeadlyShoe!

I imagine this will be a good start to getting other AI's to work.

PvK
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

pvk, the porportions site (or at least the DNS for it, on g2.latibulum.com) is down. any alternate download mirrors?
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I only seem to have 3.0.2 on SE.net... Guess that doesn't help much if you want 3.0.3.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM

BANNED USER

PTF is on a distinguished road

http://www.latibulum.com/pvk/proportions/

seems to be up (again?).