World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Default AI has it gotten any smarter??

Good day, Guys

It's possible this has been asked before, but I found nothing here.

Has the AI been upgraded to read terrain for possible enemy posns and has it some ability to learn from past mistakes??

It seems since I've upgraded and have the CD it is becoming a better foe. No complaint if it has, just curious.

Eternal War(gaming), PanzerBob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Corporal

Uncle_Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI has it gotten any smarter??

I think it makes better use of its artillery and it tends to have a better force mix, both of which make it a tougher opponent.

Its been a long time since I've played the SSI versions so I dont really know if it has any more 'tactical sense'. It doesnt 'learn' from its mistakes even within a game from what I've seen. If it loses 5 squads walking into a specific hex it will still tend to send 5 more along the same route.

I believe there might be some other optimizing in there at this point and the combination makes it a tougher opponent. I believe the pre-built scenarios can also have a better AI than a 'quick battle' since the designer can at least have scripted out some optimal paths to attack over.

Overall, I find the AI to be more challenging when I'm playing a campaign and dont want to sacrifice any of my troops. When playing the one-off battles, I'm much more likely to lose units to win the scenario than in a campaign where force preservation is my first goal and winning a particular scenario is a distant second.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Corporal

blitzkreig is on a distinguished road

I was playing an early war Poland battle a few weeks ago using an SS force. The AI swam some cavalry over a large lake I was using to protect a flank. Sure surprised me!!! Caused a real pain in the ***! The AI does seem to be a little more "sneaky" in these latest versions using flanking forces more?

If the AI is better on the CD version it would be good to know. I would be very tempted to buy one!

"Boot 'em, don't spatter 'em!" - Heinz Guderian

Ian

Old May 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Private

hveldenz is on a distinguished road

I think it is better. Smarter is a hard word to use as to me that requires 'learning'. Until Neural Network systems are part of the AI (big task and wishlist item!) it probably cannot be trained. I have played since SP1/2/3 and earlier versions from Don/Andy/et al (Many props to them and the crew btw!)

My observsations on better AI behaviors as an opponent (in a long campaign):

1. AI Arty targeting smoke/dust/activity clusters (I remember keeping MRLS's by ammo dumps in SP3 and they would NEVER be hit)
2. Feint attacks along an edge - I have to think of protecting the backfield arty/aa units.
3. Better Bunker/fortification placements with coverage.
4. Better opportunity fire targerting algorithms (no routine 'everyone fire on that jeep and become sighted' like in SP1 and SP2)
5. IMHO excellent use of HMG positions, including timing of fire (I have had more than I care to admit inf casualties from the British Vickers in the desert!)
6. No immediate abandoning of positions just because an objective or two has fallen.

My opinion of lesser behaviors/things I do not think are good in the AI (and I know some of these are difficult to fix):
1. Weenie tank overload force mixes, but this is unavoidable I guess if I play Ger-Pol 1939 with "AI heavy tank". I guess I am still waiting to see T-34s in more than 2-3 total numbers, now in 6/42 in USSR vs. my Wehrmacht.
2. Heavy AA force mixes (if someone can tell me the amount of AA per company or battalion attachment - I would be happy to learn).
3. The occasional Monster Arty packs from the AI buyouts. I still remember a British approx 4000 pt force in a meeting engagement having 8 25#, 6 5.5in batteries and still had a load of mortars (sorry Don - never did save that one like I said before.)

I think the AI and its algorithms have been a major improvement along each step of the way.

Props to the crew again.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Good day all,

I guess it could be just me because I've keeping a closer eye on what's going out in my actions because of my AAR thread. It seems to have bought a whole new aspect to the game, perhaps an even more human edge to my "enemy". It's certainly fired my imagination up, to all those responsible, Thanks yet again.

Eternal War(gaming) PanzerBob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:47 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

Hi hveldenz
"tell me the amount of AA per company or battalion attachment?"
Very little usually none,
Check out
http://orbat.com/site/ww2/drleo/
and
http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/...l/site_map.htm
But Generally
For infantry most Battalions were happy with an AA MG or two. The 50 cal for instance is actually issued to infantry as an AA asset. Once dug in infantry is pretty much immune to air anyway. Vehicles are a very different matter. Tanks in particular are expensive and so you begin to see much more AA in armoured formations. But again for armies with air superiority ie late war American and British for instance AA would be a very low priority just the opposite for the Germans of course.
A lot of AA will be allocated to the rear area anyway, in particular bridges, HQs, supply dumps, supply lines, airfields etc. So divisional and corps level AA assets may not appear at the front line but will be used to defend divisional or Corps type assets.
Best Regards Chuck.
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM

First Lieutenant

Thanks for the links, Chuck

Eternal War(gaming) PanzerBob

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road

the ai seems to use a lot of flanking also.
when he attacks along a road and gets ambushed it moves of the road and advances on the side of it. but that may only because the wrecks on the road cost to much movement.