Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM

Private

weby is on a distinguished road
Default Battles ending in middle

I really like WinSPWW2 as a game, but one thing that annoys me is the way the game often ends in middle.

A typical situation being:
My forces have managed to slow down the enemy and channel him to the killing ground.
My counter attack on sides is going well.
My artillery is keeping the enemy in place.

and then the game stops at turn 12 of 25 with a marginal victory..

I should really be allowed to play the thing to end if I wished, to see if managed to surround and destroy the enemy forces or not.

Thus my wish for a game setting that would override this behavior, forcing the game to continue past that point.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battles ending in middle

Leave one Victory Hex un-claimed. That usually lets you clean up all the enemy stragglers. On your turn 25, take it and the game should end.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM

Private

Unfortunately often my defence seems too good and thus stops the enemy before reaching the victory hexes, making such impractical.

Thus the request to have a setting allowing one to do that without the vitory hex trickery.
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Good day, Weby

I believe Pat's solution to be a good one, and perhaps the only one to keep all us gamers happy. In reality, if an attacking force has absorbed certain amount damage and sees no hope to take the objective (as your case illustrates) it will try to disengage and withdraw. (Simulated in winSPWWII by a victory declared.) I don't know whether you campaign or not, but It sounds to me like you've reached the point where your abilities have you craving for more realism..... If so, you should try campaigning, you will find that living to fight another day will be more important than annihilating the enemy.

Within the setup for each battle you can set the amount of time, types & locs of maps, Victory Hex locs, etc etc. (I personally abhor random computer selection for VH's for example and almost always change them to reflect real military objectives, like villages/Xroads/bridges/high ground etc.)

Personally, this is where the game shines it's brightest, when you must get your men though months perhaps years of combat......

Of course it's just my humble opinion, PanzerBob Out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
weby said:
Unfortunately often my defence seems too good and thus stops the enemy before reaching the victory hexes, making such impractical.
Another option would be to turn up your opponents toughness. What nation are you playing against what opponents?
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Private

Any battles..

I have not found good way to balance things, as making units less vulnerable, higher quality or better at rallying, just makes the superman complex worse. (Yes that one infantry squad can advance against an infantry platoon over open field and force the entrenced enemies to rout)

Playing with detection % you get the scout squad that can do that..

Basically only battles that seem difficult against the AI are those where the "magic teleporting troops" appear like in many scenarios where there are suddenly enemy troops in the hex behind my infantry line. (Many of the built in scenarios are really bad at this)

In campaigns the thing is even worse as having that one margnal victory looks so bad compared to the other full victories.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:07 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Good day, Weby

I am curious as to what nations you are piting against each other? Also, do you expect in warfare in general that the enemy has to be annihilated in order to be victorious? Are you aware that country specific atributes have been built into the various nations? Please, clarify what it is you expect from the game, after all this is a simulation of warfare between 1930-1946, not Genghis Khan's Horseborne Army in the 11th century, where a head count actually amounted to a stack of heads.

Eternal War(gaming) PanzerBob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe