The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:01 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road
Default Request for opinions on AI drone use.

I've been working on a new AI, which for the most part is looking fairly good. For the first time, though, I am trying to get the AI to use drones. So far I am not at all happy with the results. A couple of times it has used them successfully, but for the most part it just seems to be a waste of resources and research, as the attacks are never coordinated, just single (or rarely 2) drones arriving at a time to be destroyed. Then, of course, the drone carriers had some interesting problems. For instance, I saw a couple of drone carriers join up with a large fleet of attack ships moving into enemy territory. Unfortunately, the fleet ran into a single enemy ship on the way. The fleet destroyed it as soon as they could reach firing position, but of course the drone carriers launched every anti-ship drone they had at it. After the battle, there was a large stack of anti-ship drones sitting out in the middle of nowhere with nowhere to go. They finally all died when they ran out of maintenance.

Ok, long story leading up to the question, but is it worth it to have the AI research drones? I am about ready to rip all of the drone research, design and construction out of this AI, as I think it will be better off without it. Am I missing some trick that would make it more effective in its use of drones? If I take drones out, is the AI going to be weaker in the long run?

And what about Naomi?

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old May 19th, 2002, 03:33 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Request for opinions on AI drone use.

Alpha Kodiak I made the same observations as you which lead me to the conclusion, that in standard SE IV gold the AI is better off without drones. But because I didn't like this I made some major changes in my own modification: reduce drone cost by 1/2 (except weapons), reduce basic supply use to 100/turn and include solar collectors to the design types. With these modification IMO the AI can profit from drones, at least from anti-ship drones. Especially valuable are drones (as already someone pointed out in this forum; don't remember who) for races with allegiance subverters.

[ May 19, 2002, 14:34: Message edited by: Q ]
Old May 19th, 2002, 04:28 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Actually my AIs have used them to quite a good effect, both in standard as in allegiance subverter Versions. It is bad if the AI fire them in an empty system but if fired in an enemy colony system they are quite effective as the AI will use them only to attack (of course) and they can wipe out 3 to 4 colonies (at least AI colonies) in 3 to 4 turns (much better then most AI attack fleets).
Old May 19th, 2002, 06:44 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

As with everything else, the AI does not coordinate its use of drones very well. So, relying on them as a major part of an AIs ability is not a good idea. The really odd thing that I have seen is that the AI will launch them into space when there is no target and they just sit there over the planet as if they were satellites. Since they are not satellites and eventually run out of fuel this is ridiculously stupid. Then when it spots a target it will send them in little Groups launched from these standing 'pools' over nearby planets. This generally results in one, two, or three drones attacking at a time even when the total sent against the target is much higher. So I have to agree that the standard AI is better off without them. It's just too stupid to use them.

Careful tweaking of AI files might result in effective use, though. For example, if you don't put any references to drones in the VehicleConstruction file, and use the UnitConstruction file to have them built at only one sort of colony, like military installations, you will probably concentrate them enough to make the AIs uncoordinated uses more effective. Will it be effective enough? I guess that will have to be tested.

I haven't seen any AI build a single drone carrier yet. What sort of hull does it use when you see it build one? A transport? A carrier? Or a standard warship hull?

[ May 19, 2002, 17:45: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]
Old May 19th, 2002, 09:54 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Baron Munchausen:
I haven't seen any AI build a single drone carrier yet. What sort of hull does it use when you see it build one? A transport? A carrier? Or a standard warship hull?
The way I have them defined, it is using a standard warship hull. You could probably get it to use a transport as well, but I think the warship hull is better because it can keep up with a fleet.

I may have to play around with the idea of putting them on a specific colony, or in some other way limiting them. I am just not sure what to do with them yet.

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old May 21st, 2002, 01:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

Atraikius is on a distinguished road

Alpha - I've had them using mostly transports, I thought it seemed to help with the launching all the drones in one battle problem, as they had a large amount of cargo and only a few launch bays. Didn't have too much problem with the small number being launched being overwhelmed by defenses because I have them chasing Colony Ships, transports, and unarmed ships as their primary targets.

Baron - The launching drones into orbit with no targets is part of the percent to keep as cargo line of the Settings file. For drones you should set it to 100 so that the drones are not launched into orbit as soon as they are built.