This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 31st, 2001, 06:58 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road
Default Facility Limits on Domed Colonies

I was going to post this in the Production based vs. Resource Based Games thread, but decided it needed a thread of its own.

Should the number of facilities allowed be limited on a planet with a domed colony. I understand the population limit, but I would think that at least some facilities, such as mining facilities would be pretty much out in the elements, as it were. This would really make sense if the population required for operation was wired in and there was a provision for automated facilities that required much less population to operate.

Maybe the solution is to have technology that could be researched that would allow creation of remotely operated automated facilities that could be placed even when the domed facility limit was reached, but not if the planet's undomed facility limit was reached.

Thoughts?

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old January 31st, 2001, 07:05 PM

Captain

Default Re: Facility Limits on Domed Colonies

As an add on to my previous thought, what about the limit on cargo space. Troops probably would want to be in the domes, but weapon platforms would be spread all over the planet and automated, I would think, and satelite storage probably would not have to be specially conditioned, any more than they would be on an undomed planet. (Since, in reality I would expect satelites to be specially stored, even on an undomed world.)

Old January 31st, 2001, 07:10 PM

Corporal

Derek is on a distinguished road

I disagree with the artifically low limits on domed colony facilities. I do think they would be lower, but not the incredibly low numbers that are set.

Thus, I raised the limits in my mod (DavesMods11.zip) I can't remember what I raised them to, but I did raise them.

Derek
Old January 31st, 2001, 07:17 PM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road

I like things the way they are now. I think you should be severely restricted in what you can build or store on a planet if the atmosphere is one you cannot breathe.

If Baron Munchausen's excellent ideas regarding Man hours of labor were included in SE IV, then you would have *NO* restrictions on these two quantities but it would take MUCH, MUCH longer to build facilities on domed colonies. Since the game doesn't include the man power hours to build facilities, I think that an 80% reduction in facilities makes perfect sense.

Old January 31st, 2001, 07:58 PM

Captain

quote:
Originally posted by raynor:
I like things the way they are now. I think you should be severely restricted in what you can build or store on a planet if the atmosphere is one you cannot breathe.

If Baron Munchausen's excellent ideas regarding Man hours of labor were included in SE IV, then you would have *NO* restrictions on these two quantities but it would take MUCH, MUCH longer to build facilities on domed colonies. Since the game doesn't include the man power hours to build facilities, I think that an 80% reduction in facilities makes perfect sense.

I pretty much agree with you on this. Obviously, if anything were ever changed about this, it would be a change to the game system, rather than a mod. I do think that if a man-hours system was put in place, then there should be automation technologies to research that reduce the man-hours required to produce "stuff".

As an add-on idea, I would think that producing resources should take man-hours, just the same as producing facilities. Then there could be technology for resource production facilities that required less man-hours to produce the same amount of material.

Old February 1st, 2001, 03:03 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

I have altered my planet sizes, too. A 5 to 1 ratio seemed all out of proportion. Of course, the population difference is much MORE than 5 to 1. So, I've changed things around to give a 3 to 1 ration in facility space for breathable and domed colonies, and a 5 to 1 ratio for population. Yes, columns will be killed but here's a summary:

Plane Sizes: Domed Facil/Pop/Cargo Normal Facil/Pop/Cargo

Tiny: 2/100/400 6/500/2000

Small: 4/200/800 12/1000/4000

Medium: 6/400/1600 18/2000/8000

Large: 8/800/3200 24/4000/16000

Huge: 10/1600/6400 30/8000/32000

This helps the AI somewhat, btw. It's lack of ability to choose the right order to colonize planets in becomes less of a handicap when the difference isn't as large and when it's possible to accomplish something useful even with domed colonies.

[This message has been edited by Baron Munchausen (edited 01 February 2001).]