This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 17th, 2001, 08:03 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road
Default AI Colonization Techs

Has anyone ever seen the AI use a colonizer of a different type than their home world (ie. a rock race using an ice colonizer) once they had the tech for it?

I was running a one-on-one between my new AI and Mephisto's Earth Alliance, using full ministers for both sides and watching the fireworks. The EA finally researched ibe colonization, so I was interested to see how it would use the new tech.

Basically, it didn't. It made a design for an ice colonizer, but never built one.

I then started a new game with everyone having full tech to start. I made sure that the game was set to allow colonization of different types of planets. Every race made designs for all colonization types, but never built anything other than their own type.

I looked for some way to tell the AI to build specific types of colonizers, but I couldn't find a way to do it. Am I missing something? If there is no way to get the AI to use new colonization tech, then there is no reason to use research points to get the techs.

Any insight into this would be very helpful.

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old March 17th, 2001, 08:27 PM

Sergeant

jc173 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI Colonization Techs

Yes and no, I have seen one of the neutrals with different types of colony ships and that race has colonized ice and rock planets. Also two of the major races I have borders with have colonized planets of all three types. I haven't actually seen them use the different colony ships, but I assume they must be using them either that or they're conducting a lot of ground assaults.
Old March 17th, 2001, 08:54 PM

Captain

quote:
Originally posted by jc173:
Yes and no, I have seen one of the neutrals with different types of colony ships and that race has colonized ice and rock planets. Also two of the major races I have borders with have colonized planets of all three types. I haven't actually seen them use the different colony ships, but I assume they must be using them either that or they're conducting a lot of ground assaults.

Was this using Version 1.30 or an earlier Version? I wonder if the change that lets you turn off the ability to colonize other world type somehow disabled the AI's ability to ever colonize other planet types.

Old March 18th, 2001, 02:54 AM

Corporal

Hydraa is on a distinguished road

I currently have a game going using virtually stock v1.30 (about only mod was to raise the system limit) and high bonus with extra racial pts for the AIs. The drushocka are number 1 and it seems that they have recieved a second colony tech somehow (probably ruins) They have both gas and rock colonies. Now if my top of the line destroyers can hold back the battle cruiser and cruiser fleet that is coming at me.
Old March 18th, 2001, 03:27 AM

Sergeant

1.30 with the TDM modpack, tampa sounds, some other personal mods and changes to the settings.
Old March 18th, 2001, 05:23 AM

Captain

Sounds like I need to let the experiment run longer. Maybe it just wants to colonize the available planets of its own type first.

Old March 18th, 2001, 05:29 AM

Sergeant

Yeah that might be part of it, I am about 15 years into my game so everyone is grabbing as much usable turf inside their borders as possible.