.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Magic Items Suggestions

Oilskin Boots
Cons-2
Water-1, Nature 1
Enchanted to exude a highly water-repellant oil, these boots are virtually impossible to immerse. The wearer may walk on water, and cross oceans, though he may not bring his troops.

Ring of Dragonkin
Cons-2
Fire-1, Water-1
This ring contains the soul of a Dragon, which binds to that of the wearer. After being placed on a finger, the ring may never be removed, as such an action would tear the soul of the owner and cause instant death. The affinty to dragons granted by the ring allows increased effectiveness (+1) of summoning spells for Dragons and similar creatures. Lesser animals, sensitive to the aura of a Dragon, will also have a tendancy to avoid the owner (+1 Animal Awe).

Ranger's Boots
Cons-2
Nature-1, Earth-1
Grant the wearer survival skills for all terrains, and increased strategic movement (+1).

Frozen Crown
Cons-6
Water-2
The Crown's bearer becomes immune to all forms of cold, and is surrounded by an unnatural chill, like a Bane. His skin becomes as hard as ice (base protection 10), though the hardness varies with the local temperature. Cold-blooded creatures may die within minutes of wearing this Crown.

Thief Shoes
Cons-2
Air-1
Riding on a cushion of air, these shoes allow the utmost silence for delicate operations, and are sought by master thieves the world over. (+10 stealth, only to stealthy units)

Chameleon Cloak
Cons-4
Nature-5, Blood-5
The flayed skins of hundreds of chamelons are sewn together and kept in an eerie semi-living state with the sacrificial blood of humans. The resulting cloak is not a pretty sight, nor a sight at all - for it blends with the surrounds and grants almost perfect invisibility. The only telltale of a spy thus concealed is the slight smell of blood that never seems to fade. (+15 stealth, only to stealthy units)
Old April 16th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Magic Items Suggestions

Personnally I suggest to make a special slot for human sized non magical commanders to allow some items considered too powerfull if allowed to all commanders (such as items giving stealth or even stealth to commanded regular troops, recuperation, healing power, illusion power -your army looks twice bigger in other players report-, giving bonus to hp, and other powers discarded because of their possible use on a SC or other hard to kill being). If I understand why it's a bad idea to make for example a ring of invisibility usable by elemental kings or other arch devils, I find sad that such a classical item doesn't exist for classical heroes (as well as other items giving some chances to an human sized warrior type heroe to be usefull in the end game). This special slot may also give more interest to human pretenders compared to other chassis if allowed to them.
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

I like those, especially the Thief shoes.
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

I like the thief shoes as well. The chameleon cloak isn't worth it, though.

Drain stone: Low-level earth item. Grants drain immunity to the holder. Intended to help Ulm use indy mages more effectively.

Great oak bow: Low-level nature item. A good all-round bow with hefty damage. An alternative to the bow of precision.

Bracelet of binding: Mid/high level nature item. The transformation spell works much better with this item equipped.

Tornado ring: Low/mid level air item. Arrows fired by this character ignore enemy air shields.

Endless sack of ore: Mid level earth item. Equipping it will increase the resources available in the province by 40.

Trinket hammer: Mid/high level earth item. Allows the user to forge two trinkets for the price of one, improving the utility of these items in the late game.

Book of Life: Unique nature/astral artefact. Boosts the nature and astral skills of the holder by one. Mages recruited/summoned in the province where this book rests will never have blood or death in their randoms. Also boosts the growth rate.

Trickster's hat: Low/mid level fire/astral item. Reduces the cost of all level 0 and 1 spells by half.
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Not bad stuff. Some thoughts....

I already abuse that black-heart thing making assassins. The most controlling limit that exists on it now is that the units that do/dont have stealth are fairly well thought out. If a stealth item is created, I would massively abuse that combination. SC are bad enough without SC assassins. OTOH I do agree that things like cloaks of invisibility and rings of invisibility are SOoooo standard in games like this that it seems strange they arent in the game. I could see it if they were put in and the assassin heart thing was taken out.

WHen I saw Drain Stone I had another thought. I was expecting it to be another one of those items that you sneak into an enemys territory in order to affect him. Like that bane stone. Something that would put a drain on the magic to poison someones secret lab that you found
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:21 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saber Cherry said:
Oilskin Boots
Ring of Dragonkin
Ranger's Boots
Frozen Crown
Thief Shoes
Chameleon Cloak

Love these items, SC - great ideas! For my two cents: the Frozen Crown and the Thief Shoes are underpriced. The Crown makes a good SC even better and the Thief Shoes make a good spy practically uncatchable.
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM

General

Quote:
Sandman said:
Drain stone: Low-level earth item. Grants drain immunity to the holder. Intended to help Ulm use indy mages more effectively.
Don't like this one. Combined with Ulm's forge bonus it basically just gives a loophole to the Drain penalty.
Quote:
Trinket hammer: Mid/high level earth item. Allows the user to forge two trinkets for the price of one, improving the utility of these items in the late game.
Really like this one tho! Trinkets are so much fun and so rarely see any use. My thought here tho is that these would be used almost exclusively to make the small set of trinkets that we all already know and love: Wineskins, AML, AMA, Skull Charms, etc. But perhaps this isnt such a bad thing? And you are right it might bump up interest in other items too, like bows maybe?
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Ideally I would like to see forged items to have some random flexibility in their total value.

For example= Your thief shoes which give +10 stealth for stealthy units. The game would be more interesting if this item provided randomness ranging from +8 stealth to +12 stealth.
This allows for more unique creations... especially for items which give multiple features.
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM

General

Nice idea but it would just result in more MM in the long run. Needing to know which pair of shoes was the +12 and which was the +8 means you are clicking through all of them to find out, you know?
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

besides, as much as I LOVE randoms, that would change the game abit too far from multiplayer strategy-vs-strategy toward the soloplayer strategy-vs-luck. I try to recognize the devs priority there by trying to curb my own love of chaos to keep from asking for too many randoms.
Love the thought though.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Closed Thread