This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 30th, 2001, 08:57 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road
Default Rage Version 2.1 - Feedback Requested

I have posted in the mod forum a new Version of the Rage Collective (v2.1) that should improve its expansion rate and alleviate some problems the Rage was having with running out of radioactives.

I have noticed that it doesn't seem to build carriers or fighters (once fighter tech is available) as much as I expected, so I may need to adjust the construction file.

Any feedback on carriers, or any other aspect of this Version, would be greatly appreciated.

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old June 30th, 2001, 10:17 PM

Corporal

Markavian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rage Version 2.1 - Feedback Requested

Just a mention, I'll be doing the Race update tommorow hopefully - I've finished for today.

- John http://universalshipyards.tripod.com
Old July 2nd, 2001, 04:16 PM

Corporal

Krakenup is on a distinguished road

In the TDM-ModPack 1.72 Version of the Rage, they seem to be reluctant to build shipyards except at the Homeworld. In one game, I snuck in the backdoor and glassed their Homeworld, and they were dead in the water. They had a dozen system empire but couldn't build ships. In the following game, the Rage were stuck behind a line of damaging warp points. They managed to get a few colony ships out, but without shipyards they were sitting ducks. They couldn't even repair the warships that got out.
Old July 2nd, 2001, 05:28 PM

Captain

quote:
Originally posted by Krakenup:
In the TDM-ModPack 1.72 Version of the Rage, they seem to be reluctant to build shipyards except at the Homeworld. In one game, I snuck in the backdoor and glassed their Homeworld, and they were dead in the water. They had a dozen system empire but couldn't build ships. In the following game, the Rage were stuck behind a line of damaging warp points. They managed to get a few colony ships out, but without shipyards they were sitting ducks. They couldn't even repair the warships that got out.

That was one problem they had in that Version. They also didn't build colonizers as fast as they had in previous Versions. In the 2.1 Version (released in TDM Modpack 1.75, as well as elsewhere), I think you will find that they are building more space yards, as well as more colonizers, hopefully without sacrificing early defense too much.

Damaging warp points are still killer to the Rage, as well as to most AI, I think. I usually reduce the probability of black hole systems in my games to almost nil. The problem is that the AI will send a fleet of ships through the damaging warp points, losing ships and supply. Then it decides it needs to resupply, so it sends the fleet back through the damaging warp points, losing more ships. After the fleet is repaired and resupplied, it sends it back through the damaging warp points and the cycle repeats. I've watched the Rage send dozens of ships spiralling into black holes over and over again.

Long story short, removing black hole systems from the mix helps the AI immeasurably.

As for the Rage, check out the new Version, I think that you will find them much improved.

Old July 3rd, 2001, 04:08 PM

Sergeant

zen. is on a distinguished road

Also a note for the Rage for v1.35 of SEIV... I literally started right next to them, and of course, they declared war on me. They kept coming at my one border system non-stop (although they had already visited three of my systems). I built up some WPs and kept fighting them off while I built up my own fleet. Eventually, they must have overextended themselves because they could only send a ship once in a while, and I proceeded to send my retaliatory fleet to finish them off. I think what could have helped them is 1) if they attacked some of my other "softer" systems, 2) if they grouped fleets more often, and 3) maybe had more shipyards to build stuff with. Although I'm not sure if that's hardcoded or what.

I must say, however, that their expansion abilities are pretty impressive...it took forever to take ALL their worlds.

Keep up the great work!

zen
Old July 5th, 2001, 12:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sinapus is on a distinguished road

I noticed the Rage doesn't have atmosphere converters in the facilities contruction file. Does having "None" as an atmosphere cause problems if they try to build a converter on a gas giant?
Old July 5th, 2001, 06:18 PM

Captain

quote:
Originally posted by Sinapus:
I noticed the Rage doesn't have atmosphere converters in the facilities contruction file. Does having "None" as an atmosphere cause problems if they try to build a converter on a gas giant?

Excellent question. When I first started putting the Rage together, I was under the impression that atmosphere converters did not work for "None" atmosphere. That was probably an incorrect assumption (chime in, anyone who knows for sure), but I never changed the construction files to add them back in.

As for gas giants and "None" atmosphere types, I believe that the converters would not work in that case. Again, any comments by those who know would be greatly appreciated.

Old July 5th, 2001, 06:25 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

I think the atmospheric converter works on "none". Gas and none are not suppose to exist so that could be a problem but I don't know what happens if you put one here.
Old July 5th, 2001, 06:49 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Nitram Draw:
I think the atmospheric converter works on "none". Gas and none are not suppose to exist so that could be a problem but I don't know what happens if you put one here.

Yes the converter works for races with no atmosphere on ice or rock planets but has no effect on Gas Giant planets. You can construct a converter on a Gas Giant without error Messages, but nothing will ever happen.
Old July 5th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

The only combination that dosen't work is Gas giant/none.
If you breathe none, you'll never be able to convert the gas giant.

You can go from vaccuum to air anytime.

------------------
The latest Pirates & Nomads.
-<Download V1.6>-
-<Download compatible EMPs>-
Visit My Homepage