This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 3rd, 2002, 02:20 AM

Corporal

Repo Man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - RL Strikes Again

You might find some resources at www.businessknowhow.com. The site is geared more towards starting and running a small business, but there are a few gems for job hunting there as well.

One of my favorite pearls of wisdom I picked up from BKH was to pay taxes by credit card. It's a mandatory expense, but it is still treated as a purchase by most credit cards. If you have one of those cards which offer frequent flyer miles, you can pick up a bunch by simply doing what you have to do anyway.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 11:50 PM

Sergeant

zen. is on a distinguished road

DirectorTsaarx - Yah, I'm going to be shooting for there probably after I finish up my degree. It is pretty decent out there...didn't rain as much as I expected on my Last jaunt there. My girl just got a job with Valve Software, so...

And I hear the West Coast in general is a little more, um, liberal than we are out here.

zen
Old July 5th, 2002, 12:33 AM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road

Well, the resumes are going out, and I've been signing up at all the Internet job registries. We've started cutting expenses to prepare for a bit of a long haul. Jobs seem mighty thin, but part of that may be because this is a holiday week in the US.

MB: Yeah, I was not particularly pleased about being laid off on vacation. My quite short severence pay package started 9 days before I knew I was out of work and could start looking for a job.

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement. It is nice to have a friendly place to vent a little.

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old July 5th, 2002, 12:44 AM

Colonel

Growltigga is on a distinguished road

Blimey, sorry to hear about this Alpha K.

I thought redundancies etc had to go through a prior consultation period with employees etc that meant you never went through the "got back from holiday and the company had relocated without telling me syndrome" - you cant do that in Europe (or at least the more civilised parts) and I am shocked it can be done in US

I hope it all works out for you

I have a view that these things are God's way of telling us we should have moved earlier, and that the next job will be a doozer
Old July 5th, 2002, 05:40 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

As you all may, or may not know, I do Shrapnel as a part time thing. I work full time in the IT area (Unix Admin mainly).

I almost faced the same thing myself, but I heard the axe coming early. Took me 4 months (and we also cut our spending, increased our credit limits, etc) but I found a nice job at Cardinal Health. It's a 6 month contract to hire, but I here that it is fairly easy to keep on until they pick you up full time.

It can be rough. This is my second job I have seen going away due to data center moves, and it sucked equally both times. Good luck.
Old July 8th, 2002, 03:55 PM

Sergeant

zen. is on a distinguished road

Yah, good luck Alpha! I actually found my current job through Monster.com (or rather, they found me). Like Growltigga said, you never know...my girl was looking for months here in the DC area and then out of the blue a company in Seattle calls her up. Not quite the location she was looking for, but it was a grand opportunity nonetheless.

For those in the DC area who need help, I got this recently:

JobFest-DC at the Washington Convention Center is your opportunity to meet with area employers who are ready to hire.

WHEN:
Wednesday, July 17, 2002, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

WHERE:
Washington Convention Center, 900 9th Street, NW

WHY:
This event is a free, day-long jobs and skills fair to help put the Washington, DC region to work. Limited childcare for job seekers will be available at this event.

JobFest-DC is an event you won't want to miss!

For more information visit www.washingtonpost.com/jobfest-dc or
call 1-877-US-2JOBS.

JobFest-DC is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, the U.S. Navy and the DC Department of Employment Services, in partnership with washingtonpost.com, The Public Forum Institute
and Bridges To Friendship.

Good luck out there!

zen
Old July 8th, 2002, 04:08 PM

Captain

Well, hopefully Monster.com (or one of the others) will work for me like it did for you. They were the first service I signed up with.

Going to be a busy day today. There weren't too many open positions in yesterday's paper, but a couple of them will require me to apply in person. Plus, I'm going to go over to the University and check out the job board there. It's a long shot, but I don't have anything better to do with my time (outside of SEIV, which doesn't help pay the bills).

Old July 8th, 2002, 04:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Atraikius is on a distinguished road

Alpha,

How far is Tempe from you? (Company I work for has Software Eng. position open there along with several other positions if your interested)
Old July 8th, 2002, 05:06 PM

Corporal

Trajan is on a distinguished road

Alpha,

While I am waiting for my current company to run out of cash (90 more days or so) I am actively seeking employment using any method I can think of. My wife was laid off from her telecom firm approximately 5 months ago and is still seeking a new position (FYI - She was a VP. of Comm. and PR).

We are using the following sites with some success:
www.headhunter.net (drop some cash $30 U.S. to get your resume to perform better.)
www.flipdog.com (nice crawler of company sites)
www.washintonpost.com (though this is of limited value)
www.techies.com

...and many more.

With all of these I highly recommend that you change the title of your resume frequently (every couple of days) to get it to remain on the top of the search engines.

FYI I will see if I can get a list of all the engines we use. Also, we have some recruiters that we use though they have not found anything at the executive levels. The market in Wash. DC is cut-throat and we are competing with other very qualified people.

Good luck!
' Trajan
Old July 8th, 2002, 05:33 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Atraikius:
Alpha,

How far is Tempe from you? (Company I work for has Software Eng. position open there along with several other positions if your interested)
Tempe is right around the corner. I would definitely be interested! Let me know who they are and how to get in touch with them (either here or in a private message) and I will see what turns up!