.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does the AI Boost?

To further buttress this line of thought, two weeks ago there was significent ballyhoo that someone developed a computer that was absolutely unbeatable (could not lose, worse case is a draw) in checkers. It only took them two decades. I may be wrong, but checkers seems to be a lot simplier than Dominons.

As an aside, in the same articles, there was a sidebar story about a chap who was the long time target of the checker playing computers. This chap held the world checker title for 40 years, never lost a match and only lost 9 games in 40 years, counting computer opponents.

No matter what your opinion of checkers is, that is a gaming accomplishment of the ultimate magnitude. Maybe the dev's should name a god after him?
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jutetrea said:
Any idea how the AI prioritizes rituals or if it does at all? Prioritizes commander purchases?
casts gem producing/beneficial globals
Summons troops effectively
The AI seems to use more of the higher-level national units if there is enough resources.

I have seen it cast gem producing globals quite abit. Unless its the "effectively" that you are making a point of.

I have also seen lots of summons troops. Again, unless you are pointing at the "effectively".

The problem with "effectively" is that it tends to require a lot of "IF nation=xxxxxx" branching in the code. And even then there are variations. The maenad version of Pangaea has different needs than the carrion version.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Yeah those are the really big questions when designing SC/thug summon spells for the AI. Without knowing how it chooses one ritual from another it will be very difficult for me to figure out how to incent the AI to cast this particular spell. My worst fear is that the AI will assess a summon spell based on the number of effects which would pretty much shoot the whole idea in the foot. But then... iirc, I remember the AI using cave and fire drakes occassionally so it must have some understanding of summoning.

My current thought on the topic is to make it a 0-level national spell with 1 gem cost to summon a thug. And then just see how many of them the AI ends up casting. If I am overrun immediately by thugs then I will have my answer. But honestly I'd rather have some more solid data from people who have played a lot of SP games...
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

The AI loves to summon. If you want to make sure that it uses the custom summons, be sure to set them to research level 0.

I use quite a bit of custom summons in my mods and it has been my experience that if you set it to research 0, the AI will summon like crazy, but if you set it to a different research level, it may take the AI a while to get there.
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

I haven't tried playing against the kobold mod, but it has a nice summon mechanic. It has a rare expensive (pretty nifty) commander that gets (I think) 3F2H +50%FE. Then it has a summon spell at research 0 that requires 4F2H. So a good portion of the commanders can cast it, but the commanders are about 350-400g apiece so going for that random doesn't happen to often.

His summon spell is 3-5? nice units, similar to upgraded celestial soldiers, for 15F gems. It could easily be 1 of those as a commander and then you have a thug.

High priced casting commander (wonder if the AI would even build?) but good abilities beyond paths, sacred, almost a thug in its own right. Moderate priced summon at 15 of a primary gem, and beefy when summoned.

If the AI won't recruit the high priced commander it could even be made more simple by keeping it at a common path lvl, but you also want to avoid the summons that is so worth its cost it becomes the nations primary goal.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Foodstamp said:
The AI loves to summon. If you want to make sure that it uses the custom summons, be sure to set them to research level 0.

I use quite a bit of custom summons in my mods and it has been my experience that if you set it to research 0, the AI will summon like crazy, but if you set it to a different research level, it may take the AI a while to get there.
Yeah perhaps I will set it to level-0 to test but level-1 in practice. Since you wouldnt want the AI to be summoning thugs before it was near the correct time for kitted thugs to be making thier appearance.

I havent actually looked at spell modding in some time - can you make entirely new spells these days? So like a ritual spell with an effect to summon unit #X or something? Or will I have to go through and pick out a couple of summon spells and override them?
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:

I havent actually looked at spell modding in some time - can you make entirely new spells these days? So like a ritual spell with an effect to summon unit #X or something? Or will I have to go through and pick out a couple of summon spells and override them?
You can make new spells with simple already-in-game effects like summoning rituals. The easy way is #copyspell a summon and then just tweak the copy.
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
My thought for the AI was to modify some summons to make them "thugs" without any need for equipment. That way if the AI did manage to get around to summonng them, it would not need to equip them (which is super complicated). And perhaps mod a few high level summons to be SCs right out of the box as well. One problem i see of course is still how to incent the AI to try and cast these spells to begin with. I'm not sure the AI programming can even conceptually understand shelling out 20 gems - even 10 gems! - for a single heavy-duty unit.
This is where I found the #startspell so very valuable. I would find a nation for the AI which didn't use blood magic because then it won't research any blood magic. Then I would give the nation a few immobile mages which were with blood magic and maybe a few other paths. Also gave these immobile mages a ring of regeneration and ring of anti-magic for better protection. Next I provided the AI nation with some magic sites with blood income. Finally I provided the AI nation with specific blood spells using the #startspell .
As a result AI nations such as Arcos would have armies of the devils or blood knights. It truly made the AI a stronger opponent.
This month I plan to use a level_10 astral mage casting the Wish spell... to wish for #startspell getting fixed.