.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 21st, 2004, 12:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Master of Magic 2 - now looking quite likely

Getting back on topic here: Woohoo! MoM 2!
Let the festivities begin!

Incidentally, StarDock were originally unsure of whether to remake MoM or Star Control II. Their choice of games fills me with optimistic fuzzytude.

Update: Correction, either a remake of MoM, or a sequel to StarCon II. Which doesn't suck. ***. With gusto.

[ July 20, 2004, 23:23: Message edited by: Vicious Love ]
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:22 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

i'm pretty sure Bethesda are going to make fallout first person realtime ie. like morrowind. you think they're going to go develop a new engine when they have a perfectly servicible one?

the real Q is whether they can create something w/ the original feel, at least as far as setting, story and interaction, if not as to game dynamics.
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:14 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by archaeolept:
the real Q is whether they can create something w/ the original feel, at least as far as setting, story and interaction, if not as to game dynamics.
No, the real question is whether they can code something where you don't have to hop up on top of furniture so you can't be reached while repeatedly shooting your opponent because he won't die when shot.

A related question is whether you still have to bunny-hop around the map because it beats walking.
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:07 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by archaeolept:
i'm pretty sure Bethesda are going to make fallout first person realtime ie. like morrowind. you think they're going to go develop a new engine when they have a perfectly servicible one?
Wouldn't be the first time a company *didn't* reuse existing code. Fallout is a TB tactical RPG, while Morrowind is a RT FP RPG. However, the article at this link is interesting. The concluding sentence is sort of vague:

"Pete Hines: Too early to say, but I imagine it'll probably lean towards using technology that we're developing."

Might be read as either their existing FPS technology, or an entirely new (and secret) technology yet to be revealed.

Personally, I think you're correct, and Pete's dodging of the questions is likely due to them wanting the project to be advanced enough along so that they can show off an alpha and woo people rather than turn them off early on by telling gamers that the FO franchise is shifting format. If Bethesda were do do FO as well as Bioware did KotOR (unlikely, but possible), I doubt there'd be any complaints. I mention Bioware, because Bioware did top-down TB games like BG, and then heavily modified their engine to do a RT FP RPG. Perhaps Bethesda, seeing what Bioware did, and how successfully, may have gotten the idea to try something like that themselves. I can only hope.
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:14 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by Arryn:
I mention Bioware, because Bioware did top-down TB games like BG, and then heavily modified their engine to do a RT FP RPG. Perhaps Bethesda, seeing what Bioware did, and how successfully, may have gotten the idea to try something like that themselves. I can only hope.
I think you may have severely overestimated Bioware's accomplishments. KoTOR was more or less an adaptation of the same engine NWN used. You can tell this, despite their attempts to deny it, because they shared some of the same bugs.
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:26 AM

Major General

When/where has Bioware denied that KotOR uses a modified BG/NWN engine? They outright told us this before KotOR ever released. It was in a preview article in either CG or CGW about 1-2 years ago.
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:31 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by Arryn:
When/where has Bioware denied that KotOR uses a modified BG/NWN engine? They outright told us this before KotOR ever released. It was in a preview article in either CG or CGW about 1-2 years ago.
On the forums somewhere, when people mentioned this, official sources started deny that KOTOR did, in fact, use the NWN engine. It's probably buried somewhere on their forum archives, you can go dig it up if you want.

Ultimately, I'd have to say it was a fairly bad move, given that the first person view only served to hilight the fact that you couldn't actually *DO* anything you couldn't have done better before, except now you couldn't see what you were doing, either.

[ July 21, 2004, 03:33: Message edited by: Norfleet ]
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:35 AM

Private

major^3 is on a distinguished road

eh, i thought Bioware did NWN anyway... but i could be wrong.

Im more worried about FO3 i guess, cuz if someone messes up a title (like JA3) you can just write it off...its from a no name developer and i havent seen what they have done.

however, Morrowind has such a different feel then Fallout, that i am not sure Bethesda can even pull it off whether its first person or isometric.

imo Bioware is prolly best suited to carry it on or whatever the name of the studio Uruquart (or whatever the game designer for FO went) i forget the name.

Also, Lionheart was made by black isle, but a very different black isle (obviously)
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:44 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by major^3:
eh, i thought Bioware did NWN anyway... but i could be wrong.
You aren't. Bioware did NWN.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:21 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by major^3:
however, Morrowind has such a different feel then Fallout, that i am not sure Bethesda can even pull it off whether its first person or isometric.
I'm not sure how, exactly, Fallout could be made in any way to resemble a first or third person game without completely compromising its "Falloutness", producing either a horrid game where everything you do feels completely ineffective, or a game which is basically Quake.

And, of course, there's that horrible lingering image of pogo-stick drive-by shootings.