.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Sergeant

Kadelake is on a distinguished road
Default Re: amphiptere plus ma man's units

Quote:
Originally Posted by earcaraxe View Post
since one of my favorite is ma man...
I noticed you won your game. What strategy did you use?
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Captain

earcaraxe is on a distinguished road

I tried to use a bless strategy for wardens and cu shidhes, and for thugging with lord wardens. After a lot a testing i have found that an E9N4 bless makes wardens a little stronger than a W9N4 (or an N9) in terms of taking out enemies using only them (even if we take into account that E9 adds basicaly nothing to cu shidhes). And e9' reinvig also have great use to all those girls and women who are the mages of man. So finally a choose an E9N4 lord of the wild. I took him awake, which in retrospect was suboptimal to a sleeper because of the misfortune i was forced to take (PD is very weak, have serious problems stopping even villains), and i feel the little help he provided to expanding (with starting equipment) was not too significant (longbowmen rock). So he provided me a very useful bless for thugging and sacreds, the earth economy (an E2 is needed to make the hammers with boots and witches have a realistic chance for E1 only), many animals to use as shield for the extremely useful longbowmen, and after reaching evo6 he could cast earthquake and with an air empower rain of stones (im not sure if the difference between EQ and RoS worth 50 A gems tho).
I used a sneaky blitzkrieg tactic with wardens and then switched to longbowmen versus bandar log's tiger riders. I was in second place when the leader turned AI, then not long after that all the others gave up. I hope u find it useful!
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Sergeant

I'm using a similar Lord of the Forest for Eriu right now. But sleeping and with A1. Though in retrospect I think I should have gone A2 instead so that I wouldn't have had to waste an air booster on him. I agree that it isn't worth empowering in air, especially since your Crones can cast rain of stones with earth boots. Though I never seem to have enough air gems anyway.

It sounds like the game never got to late game? Late game seems to be MA Mans weakness so I was wondering how you managed.

Last edited by Kadelake; October 6th, 2010 at 12:53 PM..
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Captain

it didnt got to endgame, and it was my last game without edm, so it might have been a problem.

How do u use the crones with bots for rain of stones? give them one more e gems and hope the AI will use it to add 1 to the level of the crone in E? the other thing: is theere any way to avoid it being a suicide mission for the crone? wouldnt only one RoS kill her for sure? would air shield or a shield or some armor save her?
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:19 PM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

I think rain of stone applies a 14 dam physical attack to the head (bladewind on every square, thus a magical projectile that can be parried)? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So a cheap 20 prot helmet should be pretty good insurance, a shield with good parry or air shield should be great too.

Usually I think you want to cast RoS (or multiples of) first turn to get in before or interrupt/kill battlefield wide protection/attack (WoTFate, gold/lead/fog warriors ...etc), assuming you are defending and going first (otherwise you are out of luck), just make sure your top unit ID caster (or at least before any RoS is cast) drop a fog or xxx warrior before you proceed to drop pebbles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finalgenesis For This Useful Post:
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:47 PM

Captain

Jarkko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by earcaraxe View Post
How do u use the crones with bots for rain of stones? give them one more e gems and hope the AI will use it to add 1 to the level of the crone in E? the other thing: is theere any way to avoid it being a suicide mission for the crone? wouldnt only one RoS kill her for sure? would air shield or a shield or some armor save her?
Air shield gives 80% protection against missiles. Slap on a lucky ring, and 50% of the missiles that get through are avoided. Black Steel helmet gives prot 20 to head, which should be enough to stop the few raining stones getting through the avoidances

E1A1 Crones with earth boots and scripted with Summon Earthpower become E3A1
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Captain

i did some testing, at it seems, that air shield (the one that comes from a bless) wont save a unit from the ros at all. I gave my which a horned helmet and a big shield still she died horribly 2 out of 2 times, but it would use some more testing.
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Sergeant

I agree that helmets don't seem help much. The high fatigue gained by casting rain of stones guaranties a critical hit. Maybe mass protection + a good helmet is enough?

RoS doesn't count as a magic attack so the best protection is mistform. If you can spare one turn, have the crone cast mistform and then rain of stones. Fog warriors is great but kind of hard to get for Man since it needs A4. Once you've got access to fog warriors it's no problem dropping several RoS the first turn of combat
If you have access to a crystal shield, give it to an A3 mage. Just make sure fog warriors goes of before RoS; I've just managed to kill 4 important mages by messing up the casting order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko View Post
E1A1 Crones with earth boots and scripted with Summon Earthpower become E3A1
Crones come with at least A2. Recruitable, teleporting rain of stones casters