The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 20th, 2014, 05:55 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Confused Anyone seen gingertanker?

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard from gingertanker in the past several weeks. If you're wondering, he did the Paras on the Litani scenario.

Last edited by shahadi; July 20th, 2014 at 06:03 AM..
Old July 20th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,444 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone seen gingertanker?

He hasn't posted since October 2013
Old February 11th, 2015, 11:30 AM

Corporal

gingertanker is on a distinguished road

Hello

I am fine...

I do alot of things online(gaming, political activism, historical writing) and in real life(work, family). Sometimes I just lose intrest in something(like SPMBT) and later remember it exists. Sorry for my sporadic presence.

In case any of you worried- yes I was called up for Op Protective Edge. Spent 3 weeks in a highly unpleasant place called Kerem Shalom. Did not go into the strip itself though thank god...My former battalion CO and XO were ambushed by a Hammas squad inside Israel, resulting in the death of the XO(Amotz, a lovely and kind man and great field commander), and the severe injury of the CO(Alon, a pedantic and fearless leader himself).

I must say that this last "round" was very difficult for me, I waited for 2 weeks for the call, knowing that my new unit is under command of the Gaza division. During this time, as I mentioned, I heard about Amotz being killed, and Alon and several other friends and brothers in arms being wounded. So I was very very anxious to be called up and fight. In the end by the time I was called up the fighting was nearly over, although we did get our fair share of mortar and rocket attacks and alot of hard work keeping the line, while regular army tank battalions were still inside the strip fighting street to street in Rafiach and elsewhere. If you guys are intrested, I can post some pictures from our daily routine in Kerem Shalom.

Cheers,

Amit.
Old February 11th, 2015, 12:58 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you are ok!
Would love to see some piccys, pls.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:30 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

Is it true, or did you hear, as rumored here in the States, that the IRG was active in the Strip. We heard the Iranians were there with operational support. Also, can you comment, and the zeal of the fighters, we also heard the Pals had returned from fighting in Iraq with experience and the regular Army, the IDF was initially caught off guard, or underestimated the Pals.

If you cannot comment, I understand, no problem.

Yeah, sometimes I walk away from the game, but then again, it is a pleasant distraction...hmm don't know if I want to say distraction or something else. Anyway, good, very good to hear from you.
Old February 12th, 2015, 06:41 AM

Corporal

1)As for IRG, all I heard were rumors. They obviously have strong ties with Hammas, but I did not hear of solid evidence that they were present during the operation.

2) Frankly from what I heard, the level of tenacity and training on the Hammas side was pretty much what we expected. They have become better trained and armed over the last decade and as a result keep fighting longer and harder. This is bad but also good, because as a result they also die in larger numbers. The more they try to be a standing army, the easier it is to find and hurt them. During the final stages of the operation the gloves went off and indeed in some places where they faced massed armored formations and air attacks they either fled or surrendered.

I think both sides were surprised by certain technical and tactical aspects of the enemy. Hammas surprised Israel with its offensive use of the tunnels. We knew they are there but I think the way they were used, aggressively and with such boldness was a surprise to the IDF generals. We also did not expect, I believe, the massive use of mortar fire towards the final stages of the operation.

Hammas was also surprised by the IDF in several ways. First- the technological ability of Iron Dome matured, and now very much negates Hammas's mid and long range use of rockets against civilian targets. Second- Trophy also matured, and basically negated the ability of Hammas ATGM teams to engage and destroy IDF tanks. To a point that sniper and mortar fire was far more dangerous to tank crews than AT weapons. I also think Hammas did not expect the sheer force used in the last 2 weeks of the operation- specifically the air bombardment of Rafiach and Sajaye. Even the extent and depth of the ground operation took them by surprise i believe.
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:11 PM

Captain

Exclamation Re: Anyone seen gingertanker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Yeah, sometimes I walk away from the game, but then again, it is a pleasant distraction...hmm don't know if I want to say distraction or something else. Anyway, good, very good to hear from you.
That word that eluded me, that word I could not bring to mind was "diversion." The game requires, still even in entertainment, a mental focus that is a benefit, I believe. A pleasant diversion from the mundane world of work and teenagers.

-----
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertanker View Post
Spent 3 weeks in a highly unpleasant place called Kerem Shalom.
Sounds like a peaceful place with lots of wine :-)
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreedon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertanker View Post
Spent 3 weeks in a highly unpleasant place called Kerem Shalom.
Sounds like a peaceful place with lots of wine :-)
Yes we joked thoroughly that it is called Kerem Shalom (Peace Vineyard) and yet there are no vines nor peace.