.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:57 AM

Corporal

Russian_Comrade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LA Newbie Game: Blood Sacrifices (BS!) [Started] [14/14]

1 Sea Troll costs you 1 W gem and ~8 RP. Summoning 100 Sea Trolls = 100 W gems and ~800 RP. It is a very heavy investment - mostly because of casting time. Also, large unit and attack skill 9 - so they don't do lots of damage. I for one found only two uses of those guys - serving as a lightning rods (a small number of those guys standing in your forces to soak bad magic and arrows) and expanding underwater - and that army have no water in sight. And they use gold for upkeep, so it is damaging for your economics as well.

I'd say that summoning 60-70 Winter Wolves is much easier (6 or 7 turns of casting time) and have more capability to create problems for your opponent.
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:31 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

I have no idea of the specifics of this game or the situation, but I haven't seen anyone mention the Sea King's Court spell yet. Which for 55W gets you 15 Sea Trolls, 5 Troll Guards, and a W3 Sea King. So if someone has a big load of Sea Trolls, then it's more likely they came from this spell and not from multiple casting of the "Summon Sea Troll" spell.

Also please keep in mind that the intel reports you get from Scouts and from bordering provinces can under/over estimate troop numbers by between around 50%-200% (although please don't quote me on those exact figures as it's from my memory rather than notes, but I'm pretty certain those figures are in the right ballpark). So if such a report is saying "~100 See Trolls" then there might only be ~50 there.
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:35 AM

Corporal

Kungfoo is on a distinguished road

A better (if completely unrelated) question might be: Is there anything left of Ulm worth salvaging? LL staled last turn and is on track to do so again, while being involved in at least two wars. I'm not really interested in postponing the game for this if his position is doomed, but I need someone closer to the action to fill me in on the details.
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:55 AM

First Lieutenant

Anaconda is on a distinguished road

Two months ago Patala was next to his capital and this month Abysia seized maybe their second last fortress. I assume Patala is sieging their capital as we speak. I oppose delaying for him, and favor asking some1 turning him AI instead. In my experience AI puts up fierce resistance in siege.

Anaconda blogi: voimasta _ ja _ kunniasta
Old June 10th, 2012, 04:49 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
I have no idea of the specifics of this game or the situation, but I haven't seen anyone mention the Sea King's Court spell yet. Which for 55W gets you 15 Sea Trolls, 5 Troll Guards, and a W3 Sea King. So if someone has a big load of Sea Trolls, then it's more likely they came from this spell and not from multiple casting of the "Summon Sea Troll" spell.

Also please keep in mind that the intel reports you get from Scouts and from bordering provinces can under/over estimate troop numbers by between around 50%-200% (although please don't quote me on those exact figures as it's from my memory rather than notes, but I'm pretty certain those figures are in the right ballpark). So if such a report is saying "~100 See Trolls" then there might only be ~50 there.
Nope. You did my mistake, I supposed the casting of court in the beginning as well. But there is no Troll Guards or Sea Kings. About numbers - it is not the estimates, it is the battle reports.
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:49 AM

First Lieutenant

Anaconda is on a distinguished road

So what is the point? Possibility some1 is cheating, exploiting, just making wrong decision, or the exact right ones, or what?

Anaconda blogi: voimasta _ ja _ kunniasta
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Captain

Immaculate is on a distinguished road

Its a newbie game; i wouldn't worry about it too much.

And Ulm still has a bit of fight left, but not much.

That said, LL does occasionally get some good shots in. He likes his vampires.
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
So what is the point? Possibility some1 is cheating, exploiting, just making wrong decision, or the exact right ones, or what?
Nothing really - some time ago I just tried to find cost-effective mass summon from W magic. Played LA Atlantis, went high bless etc. I had money problems and not enough troops so I started to summon Winter Wolves, but I'm not totally sure that it was a right choice. Sea Trolls was the only alternative to Wolves, but I was somewhat disappointed with them after some testing.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Corporal

Lunaje is on a distinguished road

Well, we can say Atlantis is trolling himself .

As for Ulm, pretty much what Immaculate says. He seems to still deliver turns, staled last one, but is playing I guess. We still don't know what happened to him, though.
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:48 AM

Corporal

Vishniac is on a distinguished road

He staled this turn too: 2min before the turn, he hadn't played.