.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Corporal

Jolly Roger is on a distinguished road
Trophy Re: I Would Be Sovereign - Newbie-intermediate game 8/8 - Game started!

How about World of Warhammer Vanilla or one of the maps the other running campaigns use ?

Cheers, Klaus
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Captain

Immaculate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I Would Be Sovereign - Newbie-intermediate game 8/8 - Game started!

saddies... i hope this pulls through.

I don't understand the point of view of the patala player. If he can explain further, i would be much indebted.

I should mention that my one and only win was on this map with Patala and i was resource constrained. It meant i launched less Naga warriors and more monkeys (and elephants)...

Personally i love this map. It forces a new type of game-play because there are so many non-'empty' terrains. Everything is forest or swamp or mountain. It makes the 'survival' trait usable and important. it also reduces the income of your empire slightly, forcing a more lean and mean approach to, well, everything. In my Patala game i actually got to use the swamp survival trait to outmaneuver a mixed C'tis army that didn't (all) have swamp survival and that was pretty fun.

Last edited by Immaculate; June 28th, 2012 at 05:48 PM..
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiavals View Post
Okay, it seems that things are a bit confusing here, so I'll completely restart the game, so that everyone has to send their pretenders again. So, the mysterious Man pretender should post here if he wants to join, in case fungalreason decides to leave.

As for the map, does anyone have a suggestion for a map that's balanced enough for our purposes?

Sorry for the delays people.
Send him an e-mail via the llamaserver with a link to the forum in case he is not aware of this system.

i.
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

I notice you're using Parganos. Llamabeast had a dead seas version of the map with 8 fixed starts that was used for many games. There was a problem a couple of years ago that resulted in many maps being deleted but I believe it has been reposted under the name "Parganos (Llama's Fix) Deadsea, 8 fixed land starts". Give that one a try.

Relying on the game to assign starts can be ... interesting. In a recent game I had three neighboring provinces, split by a mountain range. I wasn't happy about this so the next time the game put me on a peninsula with only two neighboring provinces.
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Captain

that sounds great Valerius!
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Corporal

Jolly Roger is on a distinguished road

Good idea !
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Major General

Like Immaculate, I also like this map a lot and have played many games on it but please note that not every start is equal. One in particular is problematic. Personally I'm ok with rolling the dice on these kinds of things (and the one time I did start in the worst spot I actually ended up having a good game) but if that's an issue you could also look at some of elmokki's maps that have been assigned fixed starts.

If you were six players the symmetrical, wrap-around Six Lands would be a perfectly balanced option.
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

A word of caution on that 8-fixed start Parganos map. The starts have some major balance issues last time I checked (if it's the one I'm thinking of). As half the starts are fairly tough, while the other half have large sections of ringfenced provinces which ensure they have uncontested access to around 6 extra provinces compared to the others (who have to fight fairly and in contest for all of their provinces).

If you want a 8-player land map then I have a 8-fixed start for The Desert Eye (108+17) I can upload to the server if you like. (it should be on there already, but can't seem to find it).

You can go with any map you like of course, but as I say I think you need to be wary of the starts if that Parganos map is the one I think it is. (I would check it out but the llama link seems to lead to this random post rather than the map http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=39857)

Edit - Lol, semi-ninja'ed (semi as I think it's more than one dodgy start, and more like eight )
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Edit - Lol, semi-ninja'ed (semi as I think it's more than one dodgy start, and more like eight )
Lol, but you feel like you won a prize when you do get one of those corner starts.

Guys, Calahan is much better at map balance than me so if he's offering to help I suggest you take his advice (especially because there was already a bit of a controversy regarding start locations).
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Major General

Cal, here is the link to the map file (looks like they linked to the thread id rather than the post id). And it includes the .map file (at first llama didn't post this because he wanted them to be a surprise).

Edit: disregard that; the .map files there don't show start locations.