The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 19th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Captain

Asmala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Invulnerable Challenge - Warning... Spoilers!

Those storms... I lost about 100 base ships to them. I haven't yet figured out how the storms actually work. My first little fleet took no damage when it moved to the storms but this big fleet got destroyed entirely. Looks like a random damage However this cause many extra turns re-building my ships.
Old July 20th, 2003, 01:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Stone Mill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmala:

Those storms... I lost about 100 base ships to them. I haven't yet figured out how the storms actually work. My first little fleet took no damage when it moved to the storms but this big fleet got destroyed entirely. Looks like a random damage However this cause many extra turns re-building my ships.
[spoiler] Yes... I don't have a very good handle on it myself. Damage appears to vary with every encounter. The one variable I will volunteer has something to do with your designs. Did your first wave have different components?

You have BBegemott to thank for the storm concept. I was waiting for folks to express a bit of frustration with it. Of course, it was not as much trouble for him.

[ July 20, 2003, 00:36: Message edited by: Stone Mill ]
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:17 AM

Sergeant

Narrew is on a distinguished road

When I wrote my Last post, I was feeling confident, well it is 2416.9, I went through their Last warp point, I think my ship designs did well, I had just under 400 ships and when the dust settled, I had no ships left but they have 4 planets, 25 SB's, 6 ST's, 8 LC's and a few transports left (some have alot of damage). Man, if I just had a few more ships. Oh, I glassed all their planets, no capture for me...

It is damn late, so I am not going to do any more turns until tommorow. Should I save the combat files for this turn, or are you getting alot of them.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 03:08 PM

Captain

Erax is on a distinguished road

2417.0 : Got two colony systems to go before I reach their home system. It's slow going because I'm capturing instead of glassing. Most of their ships are in the system I am currently invading, so ship counts for both sides will probably drop a lot in the next few turns.

They have three times as many ships as I do in this system, but I'm counting on superior design and strategy to win the day.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:34 AM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Curse you and your challenge!
I finally got some time to knock down alot of turns tonight. (before I was only doing 1 or 2 a day)

-----POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW-----
-
-
-
-
-

I made it to 2409.6 of game time. Looking at the score screen when I first began the game I knew it would be tough just to survive out here; so I took a different route then most players would. I build a warp opener/closer from the start and I have now cut myself off from the Sharks. I had made first contact 9 turns into it! After closing off contact I continued my expansion process colonizing all available - oh and I will have me a ringworld in a few more turns - when I get a message saying that one of my planets has been destroyed by the Sharks. I'm thinking, "what the heck?!" I didn't even see a ship in any of my systems. So I think well no big deal and I continue on; then it happens again! After 3 more times such as this, losing planets without ever seeing a ship in any of my systems I finally build some sats that can detect cloaked ships; but to no avail! I have them in all my systems but for the next 3 turns I lose planets!

I finally have to start abandoning some of my planets because I do not want to lose them. So I do so and I continue my search for whats doing this. I lose yet another planet and I decide to take another step; put mines on all my planets. So I do so and 2 turns later...BOOM! I finally caught the little son of a beach. I still, down to this turn, cannot figure out how he was able to get under my sensors and get to my planets without my seeing him at all.

But the problem is solved and I am happily growing once again. I haven't seen the Sharks use warp point openers just yet but I'm sure it will be coming. Great job so far on the callenge Stone Mill and I look forward to continuing this game onward. Speaking of which.....
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:45 AM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

ARGHHH... blackholes.... where my beautiful systems used to be

Ruthless.
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Narrew:
When I wrote my Last post, I was feeling confident, well it is 2416.9, I went through their Last warp point, I think my ship designs did well, I had just under 400 ships and when the dust settled, I had no ships left but they have 4 planets, 25 SB's, 6 ST's, 8 LC's and a few transports left (some have alot of damage). Man, if I just had a few more ships. Oh, I glassed all their planets, no capture for me...

It is damn late, so I am not going to do any more turns until tommorow. Should I save the combat files for this turn, or are you getting alot of them.
Hi Narrew, Sorry if this is too late... send 'em! Also send me the end game files (zipped) when you are complete.

So does this mean you need another assault wave?
Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Erax:
2417.0 : Got two colony systems to go before I reach their home system. It's slow going because I'm capturing instead of glassing. Most of their ships are in the system I am currently invading, so ship counts for both sides will probably drop a lot in the next few turns.

They have three times as many ships as I do in this system, but I'm counting on superior design and strategy to win the day.
Well done Erax, let me know how it goes on the "D-day" front...
Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:19 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok:
Curse you and your challenge!
I finally got some time to knock down alot of turns tonight. (before I was only doing 1 or 2 a day)

-----POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW-----
-
-
-
-
-

I made it to 2409.6 of game time. Looking at the score screen when I first began the game I knew it would be tough just to survive out here; so I took a different route then most players would. I build a warp opener/closer from the start and I have now cut myself off from the Sharks. I had made first contact 9 turns into it! After closing off contact I continued my expansion process colonizing all available - oh and I will have me a ringworld in a few more turns - when I get a message saying that one of my planets has been destroyed by the Sharks. I'm thinking, "what the heck?!" I didn't even see a ship in any of my systems. So I think well no big deal and I continue on; then it happens again! After 3 more times such as this, losing planets without ever seeing a ship in any of my systems I finally build some sats that can detect cloaked ships; but to no avail! I have them in all my systems but for the next 3 turns I lose planets!

I finally have to start abandoning some of my planets because I do not want to lose them. So I do so and I continue my search for whats doing this. I lose yet another planet and I decide to take another step; put mines on all my planets. So I do so and 2 turns later...BOOM! I finally caught the little son of a beach. I still, down to this turn, cannot figure out how he was able to get under my sensors and get to my planets without my seeing him at all.

But the problem is solved and I am happily growing once again. I haven't seen the Sharks use warp point openers just yet but I'm sure it will be coming. Great job so far on the callenge Stone Mill and I look forward to continuing this game onward. Speaking of which.....
Oh that is a priceless story. I have been thoroughally entertained!

What message were you receiving when your planet was destroyed? I suppose this had to be by the cloaked ship with planet destroying capability. Funny how you didn't see it with the latest sensors. Maybe it hid in storms, or quickly left the map after blowing you up... and zoomed back in?

And I guess when he hit the minefield, you didn't get his ship design. Too bad. Well, looks like the Sharks can be very crafty indeed!
Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:40 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Spoilers*****

Oh yeah. I hate this game. Thought I was doing well too colonizing and containing the Sharks. The Last 5 turns they have opened warp points into several of my systems. While I was running around trying to clean up they cam in with a fleet and captured one of my planets. But then on the same turn they blew up the star in the same system they just captured the planet in!?!?!? I lost a bunch of ships and several planets, but at least they took some of their own out as well.

I can't wait to see what they do next. Thanks for showing me just how bad I am at this game Stoney.

Geoschmo