.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Private

coffeespoons is on a distinguished road
Default Offline version of spell database?

This: http://www2.onyx.nu/pb/dom3/spells.html is an excellent reference. Any way of viewing it offline please?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by coffeespoons; August 29th, 2009 at 01:03 PM..
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Private

Snoddasmannen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Offline version of spell database?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeespoons View Post
This: http://www2.onyx.nu/pb/dom3/spells.html is an excellent reference. Any way of viewing it online please?

Thanks in advance
Thanks, I like to think it's useful

Unfortunately it is not easy to move it offline. All the spells are stored on the server and every time you perform a search it goes through that.

If I distribute source code for the server components you could set it up locally (as I have) on a webserver on your computer. But I'm not really prepared to take that step, considering the quality of the code (some real thedailywtf's in there)

But all the data is of course available in their original format, ie DrPraetorius's spell database and the cleveland forge database (you can probably find those documents just as fast as I could by searching the forums). Last time I checked they were not searchable in the same sense that the online version is though.

Hope this answers your question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoddasmannen For This Useful Post:
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:45 AM

Sergeant

reverend is on a distinguished road

If you can export the database to SQLite, it could be possible. It would still need a completely new GUI though, but the database work wouldn't be wasted.

Old August 31st, 2009, 01:57 PM

Private

Snoddasmannen is on a distinguished road

Well importing the data into a database is very easy. It's also the job I did the worst I ripped the structure straight from the excel sheet, which was a really bad idea in retrospect.

To specify the magic level required to cast the spells, it uses four columns, two to specify the major and minor kinds of magic (indexed as ints) and the other two to specify the level required in each of those two(which is often 0 for the minor level). I copied this straight off.

In a relational database, I think this is dubious, I'm not even sure it's properly normalized. In any case, it made searching very difficult, but I could never be hassled to fix it. I should probably have had one column for each kind of magic along with the level required in that school to cast it. Plus an extra column to specify which is the major kind, I guess.

It would have made searching a lot easier at least ... Oh well. I'm sure there are proper DB people out there who can come up with even better schemes