Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
MP Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI. Game Over. Team ACGHHS wins! - Page 143 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

Seriously, I subbed into this because the team really needed someone. I had not planned on playing in such a massive game beforehand, and I stepped in because there was a need. Heck, I didn't even sign up for an alternate spot.

Regardless, 4 days is not an unreasonable amount of time per turn for a team game at this stage. I might have a turn in before it hosts given the current hosting time.

Perhaps I should sub out. Not that there seems to be an overabundance of people desiring to sub into this game. But its becoming increasingly clear that allowances for real life aren't living up to expectations. My team is already down a player, however, so it feels wrong leaving them in the lurch.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Hey Gandalf/Sept...

This is the problem with two of my teammates having to make a turn in 2 hours.

Gandalf, can you respond off-line why arcosephale (who did submit a turn) got a stale result? I recognize what the likely answers are, just hoping you can tell me there is a mistake of some kind on your side = ).

Chris
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Not server side error Im afraid.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this...I sent in the turn with Approx 4 hours left and sent it to our 'room'. There is no possible way I could have staled.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I just checked my 'sent' file to be sure.

It went to nav@dom3minions.com at 2:31 PM CST. IF I staled I would like an explanation in terms that I can understand.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The check file said the file you sent was turn 49 instead of turn 50.

you can check this yourself by running dom3 with a verify switch. If your files are in a NaV directory then you can run
dom3.exe --verify NaV
and view the early_arcosphale.chk file you get
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stagger Lee is on a distinguished road

Grudge - I think this may be what I did a few turns ago. If you leave the game by saving and quitting, instead of End Turn, you haven't ended your turn. The .2h won't update to the server until you end the turn.

If I'm right, is there any reason not to always quit by ending turn, as opposed to save and quit? Even when you know you're going to come back to it?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:40 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Nope, no reason whatsoever. Save and quit is purely for SP.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
The Following User Says Thank You to rdonj For This Useful Post:
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:58 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Grudge - I think this may be what I did a few turns ago. If you leave the game by saving and quitting, instead of End Turn, you haven't ended your turn. The .2h won't update to the server until you end the turn.

If I'm right, is there any reason not to always quit by ending turn, as opposed to save and quit? Even when you know you're going to come back to it?
The more common problem is attaching a .2h while you are the turn is still open on dominions.

The turn will attach - but will be empty and blank.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Just for the record sept.. I don't have *any* other games.
Smart man. One other game is probably doable. But I certainly don't recommend more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Seriously, I subbed into this because the team really needed someone. I had not planned on playing in such a massive game beforehand, and I stepped in because there was a need. Heck, I didn't even sign up for an alternate spot.

Regardless, 4 days is not an unreasonable amount of time per turn for a team game at this stage. I might have a turn in before it hosts given the current hosting time.

Perhaps I should sub out. Not that there seems to be an overabundance of people desiring to sub into this game. But its becoming increasingly clear that allowances for real life aren't living up to expectations. My team is already down a player, however, so it feels wrong leaving them in the lurch.
I appreciate your commitment to team. There have been plenty of allowances for real life and I will continue to make allowances when appropriate.

There are not many active team games to reference on Llamaserver in comparison with the huge number of FFA, but if you take a survey of the team and regular games there, the average is around 72 hours for games that are at or around turn 50 which is right where we are and where we should be. We also started at 32 hours, which is more lenient than most, we were at 40 hours till turn 20, which again is longer than FFA because I realize the communication needs. I haven't taken at look at the dom3minions team games, but I suspect it is probably the same. When we had huge size teams we never

Regardless, we've been far exceeding our scheduled hours on a regular, repeated, and consistent basis for quite some time now. Some of which is reasonable and could not be helped, some of which could be in my opinion. Which does concern me, because it means either I am not giving enough time to players (and the hosting interval increment needs adjustment) or players just don't have the time. Heck, when we had 12 people on a team in NvV we didn't have this problem, so something else is going on. Hence the reason for the incorporation of a that disclaimer for game 2.

Speaking of which, we should be at 72 now. I am adding 8 hours to the clock and will follow-up with Gandalf to make sure we are at 72 hours for the next 10 turns at least.

I do place a greater emphasis on team identification, immersion, and communication than many other small size team games which attempt to avoid this via smaller teams and various other artifices designed to limit or avoid these natural complexities. I certainly don't want anyone ever to complain they don't feel like they are part of a team when playing my games. I can't force communication on people, but it is really the only thing that seperates FFA games and SP games from team games.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; March 3rd, 2010 at 04:48 AM..