.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 15th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road
Default Niefel AAR: "...Some Say In Ice"

…Some Say In Ice: An Introduction

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
- Robert Frost

It is the chipping of the ice that awakens me in the end, I guess. A small matter, perhaps, yet one that interferes with my solitude. For ages I have sat on my Frozen Throne encased in ice as the affairs of the world pass without my ken. Encased – or imprisoned? I may never know. The ice sheathed me like my mother’s womb and I knew peace in my long sleep. Whether I was the victim of capricious nature or of the deliberate malice of an envious god I know not, but my fate was sealed and my internment eternal, or very nearly so. My throne, my kingdom, my people, all lost to the aeons, victims of time’s arrow.

That is no longer the case.

The ceaseless work of the small Jotuns has born fruit at Last. Driven by the law and will of their high mages, the Skrattis, these miniscule descendants of the race of giants have been chipping away at my prison for centuries, tunnelling through the ice as they seek the Frozen Throne. A brief period of time, perhaps, but though small in stature they are tireless in their dedication and, at Last, at long Last, they reach the throne…

And awaken me.

The world is hot, so hot, and the race of giant-kin diminished when I open my eyes on the world that is. Heat has triumphed! I feel an anger freezing in my heart as I stretch forth my wrathful dominion over the willing Jotuns, in Siberia and in Ultima Thule, and I let my voice ring with the rising gale. By my will, I fashion the tools needed to reawaken my lesser brethren and give them into the hands of the willing Skrattis. The Niefel giants will walk the earth once more and together we will make of this world a frozen globe. And if, in the fullness of time, I manage to reawaken the Rimtursar, then the world shall know peace as was meant to be.

This time, the world will end in ice, and it will be… Final.

First things must come first, however, and I need lieutenants as well as reawakening my magical skills, sorely drained by the passage of time. By my will the Jotuns release Tjodulf from his sleep to serve me as he did in ages past, and I make of Tjodulf my Prophet, my WORD to the small Jotuns and the midgets who infest the world. From the depths of the forest Angerboda, Mother of Monsters, Doyenne of Witches, the Great Hag, joins me of her own free will, and I set her the task of seeking out sites of magic.

After four turns of the clock of reason, I have once against mastered the most essential evocation and can bLast my enemies with ice, and I set forth with Tjodulf and his men to conquer. With two true Niefel giants and sixteen lesser Jotuns under Tjodulf’s command, and with my guard of winter wolves, our army is surely stronger than anything the midgets of the world can hope to counter.

We march south, the ice flowing in my wake, and into destiny. Who knows what challenges the future will bring?

World War Scenario with 16 impossible AIs, and…

Peter Magus the Son of Niefel
Water 9, Dominion 5, Niefelheim, Fortified City.
Order 3, Production 1, Cold 3, Growth 3, Luck 0, Drain 3

(Note: Sliders optimised for storytelling, not necessarily efficiency)
Old February 16th, 2004, 01:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Niefel AAR: "...Some Say In Ice"

Trekking south through the verdant Mammoth Forest of the South Siberian Highlands, the army turns to the south-east and invades Baikal, home of two-score midget-infantry.

They fall before the might of the Jotuns, and I congratulate Tjodulf of his excellent leadership as the Last fleeing midgets are crushed by his two soldiers of Niefel, who outpace all those, who would attempt to escape my implacable wrath.

As I survey the bLasted battlefield, I see pale banners streaming in the wind from the hills to the South-East in Wei and to the North-East in the Yablonovy Range. There are many banners, and drums making a racous noise. From the stench and the noise, it is estimated that at least 50-60 midgets defend each province.

The peasants of this province are only too pleased to tell the import of this view. The banners belong to the Tien Chi, a once proud nation overrun and conquered by vicious Barbarian Kings, who now rule from ashen thrones where once the philosopher-kings ruled, aye, even the Throne of Heaven in Hebei itself. Unmatched in battle, they ride domesticated beasts and utilise powerful bows. None could stand against them during the conquest, and now their word is law.

Invincible midgets? What is the world coming to. With several neutral provinces to the South-West, and both to the East and West of my Siberian capital, my course is clear.

I organise a local defense under the command of a Jotun Herse, and give Tjordulf the order: We march to Tien Chi and the Throne of Heaven itself.

[ February 15, 2004, 23:02: Message edited by: Peter Ebbesen ]
Old February 16th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Private

mjlaufgr is on a distinguished road

Have you considered diplomacy?
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:00 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

He's playing against the AI. The only diplomacy the AI understands is being beaten over the head.
Old February 16th, 2004, 03:51 AM

Private

ManInGray is on a distinguished road

hahaha.
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:16 AM

Private

Sleepy is on a distinguished road

Good start, I'm looking forward to the rest!
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Corporal

Evil Dave is on a distinguished road

Heh. It reads like Laumer's "The Last Command" so far.

Have too may pretender files to keep track of? Use catgod to view them.
Old February 16th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Private

mjlaufgr is on a distinguished road

All kidding aside, it looks like it will be a great ride. I'm a fan of your EU2 AARs, so I am looking forward to reading more! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Mark
Old February 16th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Sergeant

Wendigo is on a distinguished road

I like the tone of this AAR a lot, you can feel yourself inside the big guy's boots.

Reminds me of Karsa Orlong (sp?): "May you slay a thousand children!"
Old February 17th, 2004, 02:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

…Some Say In Ice: The Fall of Wei

As the enemy draw up their lines on the plains before me, I order Tjodulf to ready his men. The puny Jotuns take centre rank, while the two Jotuns hold the flank with an order to strike deep at the enemy rear. Tjodulf and I take up position immediately behind the front ranks. Thanks to the diminutive size of the Jotuns, I have an excellent view. At Last a positive aspect to these most stunted of giants.

In front of us dozens of heavy infantry backed by archers hold the centre while barbarian horse-archers ready for the kill. A Khan and an unmanned servant lead the armies of Tien Chi, a priest and a necromancer of some sort with flaming weapons and a host of spirits provide magical backup.

It is not enough.

As the arrows fall like hail on the Jotun ranks Tjordulf extends the blessing of my WORD in my NAME and the Niefel forces take heed. Power flows from me like a river as I increase their self-confidence, shield them with my divine magic, and bless them with the speed of the blizzard. The two of them tear through the screen of cavalry and fall on the enemy rear.

Meanwhile, I laugh with joy as I launch an unending stream of balls of ice and frost over the Jotun ranks and into the heart of the enemy formation.

I am awake again and none can stand against me.

But soon, too soon, the glorious battle is over and the enemy fleeing, though few survive the fleet pursuit of the giants. Few indeed, but enough. Enough to tell the unexpecting world that the giants are on the march. The necromancer does not escape. In mortal pain, he reveals himself as a Master of the Dead, a lowly functionary in the Divine Order of Tien Chi, and he tells me of this order and of the barbarians he serve.

And he tells me of the barbarian god. In ancient times the barbarians were a constant but in general negligible danger to the empire, as the clans spent most of their time fighting each other. Two hundred years ago, a great mage arose from the ranks of the Shamans, outstripping them in power like the sun unto the moon, and he made a pact with infernal forces selling his soul, not once, but twice, and he united the clans, and he conquered.

Yet, in his very hour of victory, as the Prince of Heaven expired on the Throne of Heaven, the mage was struck down by divine lightning from the heavens above. The devils who rushed to gather his twice-damned soul were frustrated in their goals, however, as he transcended death as a lich of incredible powers. Foreswearing its powers of blood for those of the lord of the Underworld, the lich tore the devils to shreds and continued its quest for supremacy where the man had left off. Now, in the fullness of its powers, it is worshipped by the masses, a master of death and fire, has assumed divine powers, and it attempts to bring the world under its sway.

These things happen all the time.

Yet it will be a hot day in Niefelheim before I let such trivialities stop me. The masters of fire have ever been my true enemies, whether alive or dead; Even undead, as the case might be. I will scatter its essence and end its legend.

Casualties having been light, with only two Jotuns dead at the arrowpoints of those cowardly archers, I order the men to bandage their wounds and get ready for the march on Hebei, the Imperial City, and the Throne of Heaven. I also let my WILL be made manifest back in Niefelheim, and the Jotuns begin digging out more of my Niefel guard from days of old. The Jotuns have proven to be unexpectedly fragile, so I might need a REAL army one of these days.

We march south.

-----------------------
  • mjlaufgr - Diplomacy is NOT an option. Only the unconditional surrender of my enemies is.
  • Evil Dave - Thanks! While I have not read Keith Laumer's "Last command" short story, I will take that as high praise given the consistently high quality of his work.
  • Wendigo - "May you slay a thousand children" indeed. That was the cry of an untutored youth from a backwards society, and obviously not applicable to the dynamic forwards-looking Jotun society of this day and age. Even if they are puny in size.