Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old January 22nd, 2024, 02:28 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

Needed to clarify a couple of points below. FBT 1/22/24

Why we haven't seen the Ukrainian M1A1 we haven't seen them in combat and might not see them in combat until the Spring.

NOTE: The only ERA mounted on pictures of these tanks is ONLY on the Hull sides. I haven't found any sources to indicate they will add any more in the future, though this might change once in combat.

It was also interesting that the only tanks that will not receive ERA are both the LEOPARD 2A6 and the STRV-122 because of their all-around armor packages and combat experiences.

The first reason is that all of them are being fitted out with M-19 Reactive Armor Tile (ARAT).
https://www.armyrecognition.com/ukra...ttlefield.html
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...reactive-armor

The second reason is the current weather they are having a hard time with Ukraine's Winter mud due to their weight; they are the heaviest tank on the battlefield.

The biggest reason that's "popped" on the web also, appears to be both a political and military decision to hold them back until the Spring offensive.

Though the "overview" at bottom might bring up an alternate picture for 2024. And personally, I can see this as it favors the Ukraine more than Russia.
https://www.businessinsider.com/abra...alysts-2023-11
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenth...h=6e9fc7816198

Overview:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67760067

Also "cope cages" are coming back as they have been found effective on both sides versus drones by causing them to "hang up" on them or explode prematurely. Also, omni-directional radio jamming equipment is also appearing in the battlefield on both sides as well.

When you mount a low power multi band jamming equipment that can cover the frequency band in milliseconds your drones will drop like flies. They are only radio controlled. Only the larger UAV's have the capability on board (EW) to counter your system and those comms are from highly encrypted satellites for both the operator and UAV.

But then you wouldn't waste a UAV/or large Drone on a tank anyway given the cost of them.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 22nd, 2024 at 03:16 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old January 27th, 2024, 01:19 PM

Lieutenant General

For those who read my last post concerning the Ukrainian M1A1; I offered an "overview" option concerning a possible alternative to a Spring Offensive and my opinion on the matter as it relates to the BBC ref. last in the post.

So today we have this calling for a more "hold and defend" posture to resupply, rebuild and train.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...e2c9ac79&ei=58

Though not yet the final word; it isn't the final "word", but it is started to be "shouted" out at the moment.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old January 27th, 2024, 01:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MBT's

Some perspective

As of today, it's been 702 days since the Russian invasion of Ukraine started.

The number of days from the start of Barbarossa --Jun 22, 1941 to the start of the Kursk battle--July 5, 1943 is 743 days

The number of days from the Start of the Kursk battle to the German Surender May 8 1945 was 673 days

The average of the days between those two dates is 708 days

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 29th, 2024, 01:21 AM

Lieutenant General

doe-ray-me is a test.

SAT: Something wrong with one of my refs (?), for a story I tried posting earlier this evening. Shrapnel System is stopping it.

Will attempt to get it out soon, I hope.

Regards,
Pat

Old January 29th, 2024, 02:05 AM

Lieutenant General

The news was that the T-64 has seen some upgrades. Currently being the following tanks: T-64BM Bulat, T-64BW 2017, T-64BM2 Bulat, and the T-64BW 2022 version, made possible through collaborations with Poland and the Czech Republic.

What I've gotten from the four refs I have is the above now have the KNIFE ERA which is used on the T-84BM OPLOT, the FCS from the T-84 OPLOT
"Furthermore, since 2017, the tanks have been fitted with an upgraded fire control system complete with a thermal imaging camera. This addition provides them an edge in identifying and eliminating targets over all T-72 tank models below the B3 version. These models have lost duels against the T-64BWs. It's also important to note that the T-64 tanks have the most experienced crews, a factor that often results in more victories compared to the newly conscripted Russians operating the T-90M tanks."

Another source:
"The rebuilt T-64BM Bulat introduced new armor and a so-called “active defense” system than shoots projectiles in order to intercept incoming rockets. The current T-64 2017 adds modern thermal imagers, secure digital communications and satellite navigation." (Supposedly all back fitted to the above models from the T-64BM BULAT on.)

USAGE: This dealing more with both older and newer versions as noted above. From a different ref.
"These tanks are employed to neutralize Russian infantry assaults and finish off vehicles damaged by, for example, artillery. In the following video, you can witness a T-64 tank destroying a Russian IFV from the BMP family using a HEAT missile."

UNITS AFFECTED: The following is what I see and with my first impressions for UNITS 30-32.

First: "flip" FC for UNITS 30 & 32.

Second: Update ERA on UNIT 032 as shown for UNIT 030. See more on UNIT 030 below.

Third: Update ERA on UNIT 30 to reflect the KNIFE ERA from UNIT 064 T-84 OPLOT-M.

Fourth: Update RADIO on UNIT 032 to 85 or 90.

ALL listed above (T-64) got new engines (+200hp I believe.) to support Power usage for the newer systems and increased SPEED for the battlefield.

Crew 3 was what the refs. showed for the tanks having auto loaders so this should already be "built in".

So it would appear SRAPNEL's System detected something from one of the refs and or videos.

I will attempt to upload the videos in the next couple of days, I guess we'll find out which is which then.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 29th, 2024 at 02:52 AM..
Old January 29th, 2024, 09:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Pat

The Ukrainian T-64's like the T-64BM Bulat and T-64 Bulat M17 already do have "an edge in identifying and eliminating targets over all T-72 tank models below the B3 version" in fact the M17 is superior to anything but the T-72B3M

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 29th, 2024, 01:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Due to the ref situation on site I "Cut and Pasted" the quotes from the refs in pointing that out for context, the rest of it read that the "BWs" were still managing to take out the Russian "B3s" (And better to include the T-90M.) because the Ukrainian tank crews were more experienced in combat and handling their tanks than the Russian crews especially now as their attrition rates have been higher and apparently from numerous sources that are indicating that the Russian crews are only receiving minimal training before throwing them into combat in all aspects to include their tanks.

Russia can afford to do this as there is no shortage of manpower or tanks when they have thousands of them, that they can get into the battle.

If Russia can get their act together and consolidate their armored forces the Ukraine could find itself the modern equivalent victim of "Quantity versus Quality" in this war.

It's a good thing Putin is an inpatient man and currently distracted by openly threatening NATO due to Finland's and the very soon to be admitted Sweden into NATO.

Regards,
Pat

Old January 30th, 2024, 02:27 AM

Lieutenant General

I'm not going to deep into this next as the article(s) are pretty "cut and dry". It's sourced from British Intel on their assessment on Russian armor. The second from the Pentagon.

You'll note there is no mention of the T-14. The T-14 has been unreliable (Even from Russian military sources.) and costs way too much.

Most of the production tanks are as you might expect, are the T-90M Proryv and T-72B3M tanks.

You have to keep in mind also, that the majority of their tank production capability is going towards various improvements of older tanks which they can get into the field quicker and cheaper than the new production ones as listed above.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...ish_intel.html

I'll start with the following first:

"The Pentagon is currently unable to provide the necessary spare parts or even assist Ukrainian personnel assigned to maintenance."

Secondly: You need to think about why we really haven't heard too much about the M1A1 and the LEOPARDS lately.

I am going to say, "I told you so." well into last year and before. The the key words were Training, Logistics and Maintenace.

The last 3 paras are all you need to read from the following and it covers all 3 of the above words. The German aspect at the end was really unexpected.

It's not at all good Ladies and Gentlemen.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/ukra...nian_army.html

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 30th, 2024 at 02:14 PM..
Old January 30th, 2024, 10:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Just thought I would toss this in for FYI

https://armyrecognition.com/germany_...ical_data.html

It has an interesting video embedded

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 21st, 2024, 06:59 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

https://dsm.forecastinternational.co...faces-hurdles/

Quote:
More than 12 years after disbanding its last two tank battalions and mothballing and selling off the entire Royal Netherlands Army fleet of upgraded Leopard 2A6 tanks, Dutch defense officials are now toying with the idea of recreating a tank battalion.
Quote:
Joint German-Dutch cooperation provides a starting point for the Netherlands’ goal of reviving a tank battalion.

Since 2015, the Dutch have leased 18 Leopard 2A6 tanks from Germany to help form one of five companies within the larger German-Dutch 414 Tank Battalion.

Now, however, Dutch officials want more tanks – ones acquired outright – to recreate a unique Royal Netherlands Army tank battalion.
Quote:
While overall funding has decidedly increased – the 2024 defense budget will rise by nearly 43 percent nominally year-on-year to reach €21.4 billion ($23 billion), or 1.95 percent of GDP – ongoing military procurement priorities – ranging from armed drones to rocket artillery systems to additional F-35s – take precedence.

Therefore, tank acquisition plans – such as one proffered by Germany last summer for a joint purchasing initiative involving the Leopard 2A8 main battle tank – remain unfunded and reliant upon the next Dutch government.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post: