.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 18th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road
Default Soul gate

I've been trying out this theme, and there are a few things I don't quite understand.

1. Spectral weapons require MR check to see whether they hit the target or not. Does this happen in addition to usual comparison between att/def and damage/protection, or instead of one of these steps? In other words, a unit has to hit the target, be able to do damage, and on top of that it has to pass a MR check? What is the value that compares to MR in the first place (an equivalent of penetration for weapons)? (this MR requirement is not specific to spectral weapons only, but I still don't get it)

2. How do paralyzing attacks work exactly? Yes, they freeze the target, but don't do any other damage? In other words, if I have only spirits in my army, they will paralyze the enemies to oblivion but never actually kill them? The same goes for strength drain, does it in fact do any damage? I don't seem to have noticed any physical damage from either of these attacks, but I guess I might be wrong.

Btw, while I'm talking about the paralysis, how does illithid mind bLast work exactly? There are some things written down in its additional effects that I don't get at all.

3. Apparitions seem to disease every other unit in the squad they are placed in, although those units are undead. Am I right on this? What are the effects of the disease on undead? They don'y lose hitpoints, and heal after the battle (the incorporeal ones at least), but do they get additional afflictions at the same time?

All in all, very interesting theme, but might be very weak if MR is added on top of everything else, paralysis and strength drain don't do hitpoint damage, and the undead get additional afflictions. The only unit that is able to do damage then in the whole theme are the legionnaires, and you can only get them in a castle. Also, in a few turns you're not able to reanimate anything but the shadows in a province, since both corpses and population will be gone, so no more spirits or apparitions. Commanders are a bLast though - immortal, ethereal and with insane stats. I sent one centurion in an arena deathmatch just for fun since I was trying out things, and he killed a regenerating earth-powerful cyclops without getting a scratch in some 20 turns the battle Lasted. He didn't hit very often, but he couldn't be hurt either.

[ November 18, 2003, 17:13: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:20 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soul gate

Quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
I've been trying out this theme, and there are a few things I don't quite understand.

1. Spectral weapons require MR check to see whether they hit the target or not. Does this happen in addition to usual comparison between att/def and damage/protection, or instead of one of these steps? In other words, a unit has to hit the target, be able to do damage, and on top of that it has to pass a MR check? What is the value that compares to MR in the first place (an equivalent of penetration for weapons)? (this MR requirement is not specific to spectral weapons only, but I still don't get it)

2. How do paralyzing attacks work exactly? Yes, they freeze the target, but don't do any other damage? In other words, if I have only spirits in my army, they will paralyze the enemies to oblivion but never actually kill them? The same goes for strength drain, does it in fact do any damage? I don't seem to have noticed any physical damage from either of these attacks, but I guess I might be wrong.

Btw, while I'm talking about the paralysis, how does illithid mind bLast work exactly? There are some things written down in its additional effects that I don't get at all.

3. Apparitions seem to disease every other unit in the squad they are placed in, although those units are undead. Am I right on this? What are the effects of the disease on undead? They don'y lose hitpoints, and heal after the battle (the incorporeal ones at least), but do they get additional afflictions at the same time?

All in all, very interesting theme, but might be very weak if MR is added on top of everything else, paralysis and strength drain don't do hitpoint damage, and the undead get additional afflictions. The only unit that is able to do damage then in the whole theme are the legionnaires, and you can only get them in a castle. Also, in a few turns you're not able to reanimate anything but the shadows in a province, since both corpses and population will be gone, so no more spirits or apparitions. Commanders are a bLast though - immortal, ethereal and with insane stats. I sent one centurion in an arena deathmatch just for fun since I was trying out things, and he killed a regenerating earth-powerful cyclops without getting a scratch in some 20 turns the battle Lasted. He didn't hit very often, but he couldn't be hurt either.
Undeads are unaffected by disease. The spectral weapons require both att and MR roll to do damage.

You will need to make sure you have some spectral legionaires or other units capable of dealing damage along with the paralysers.

You will have to move your reanimating commanders to recently conquered provinces in order to get access to the unburied dead. So you can't just bunker up and reanimate, you have to be agressive and possibly pillage new provinces.
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
Undeads are unaffected by disease. The spectral weapons require both att and MR roll to do damage.

You will need to make sure you have some spectral legionaires or other units capable of dealing damage along with the paralysers.

You will have to move your reanimating commanders to recently conquered provinces in order to get access to the unburied dead. So you can't just bunker up and reanimate, you have to be agressive and possibly pillage new provinces.
Thanks for the reply.
Ok, then I guess that all the afflictions (apart from the disease) were from combat after all. But I did understand correctly that apparitions disease all other squad mambers, but not other squads in the same province? If so, then it's just a matter of not combining them with anything else (not that I was planning to, but it means no demons either if they disease everything in the province, so I'd like to know).

I also guess that your answer means that strength drain and paralysis do not do any hitpoint damage. I am still a bit unsure about strength drain, as it's listed as if though it might do damage equal to unit's strength, and that the drain is only an additional effect. Is there anything else to the paralysis apart from target having 0 att/def and not moving?

So, MR check is done before even considering damage? But what number is used as an equivalent of spell penetration when doing the calculation? It would be very important, since they have to do an additional check, and their spectral weapons are not even AP (IIRC). In other words, as I said about the centurion's arena match, they are hard to hit, but have trouble hitting at the same time (and they are fried against Caelum). I guess etherealness also applies to regular missile weapons as well, as in even when hit they have a 75% chance of avoiding it altogether?

Aggressiveness is fine, I was just thinking when compared to Ashen empire that can reanimate longdead and longdead horsemen anywhere (and gets them for free in addition to that) it might be a bit disadvantaged. But I realize the strengths of it (ethereal units, bunches of paralyzing spirits - I've never had such an easy time when dealing with i.e. knights; definitely not this early in the game). It would seem that it's not relying on masses of units, like Ashen empire, but rather on a smaller more specialized forces.

[ November 18, 2003, 20:10: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:23 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
Thanks for the reply.
Ok, then I guess that all the afflictions (apart from the disease) were from combat after all. But I did understand correctly that apparitions disease all other squad mambers, but not other squads in the same province? If so, then it's just a matter of not combining them with anything else (not that I was planning to, but it means no demons either if they disease everything in the province, so I'd like to know).

I also guess that your answer means that strength drain and paralysis do not do any hitpoint damage. I am still a bit unsure about strength drain, as it's listed as if though it might do damage equal to unit's strength, and that the drain is only an additional effect. Is there anything else to the paralysis apart from target having 0 att/def and not moving?

So, MR check is done before even considering damage? But what number is used as an equivalent of spell penetration when doing the calculation? It would be very important, since they have to do an additional check, and their spectral weapons are not even AP (IIRC). In other words, as I said about the centurion's arena match, they are hard to hit, but have trouble hitting at the same time (and they are fried against Caelum). I guess etherealness also applies to regular missile weapons as well, as in even when hit they have a 75% chance of avoiding it altogether?

Aggressiveness is fine, I was just thinking when compared to Ashen empire that can reanimate longdead and longdead horsemen anywhere (and gets them for free in addition to that) it might be a bit disadvantaged. But I realize the strengths of it (ethereal units, bunches of paralyzing spirits - I've never had such an easy time when dealing with i.e. knights; definitely not this early in the game). It would seem that it's not relying on masses of units, like Ashen empire, but rather on a smaller more specialized forces.
Steal strength do do HP damage and lowers the strength of units.

Paralyzed targets hit by an additional paralyze are slightly damaged.

Apparitions are surrounded by clouds of disease. Any units near them will be affected.

Spectral weapons have no additional penetration (11+2d6). The centurion does not have a spectral weapon (IIRC).

Wailing Ladies are sacred nowdays.
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Steal strength do do HP damage and lowers the strength of units.

Paralyzed targets hit by an additional paralyze are slightly damaged.

Apparitions are surrounded by clouds of disease. Any units near them will be affected.

Spectral weapons have no additional penetration (11+2d6). The centurion does not have a spectral weapon (IIRC).

Wailing Ladies are sacred nowdays.
Ah, great! That means that the only reanimation that you can keep on doing is the one that also damages units, which makes perfect sense. You only get the special ones on special occasions, but "regular" ones any time. Shadows are very dangerous then. And even paralyzers can do damage, which is also great, as they seem to succeeed very often. And disease clouds means that noone is getting out of one of those battles unscathed. And wailing ladies are able to get fear +14 with death 9 (which you will probably have to get the consuls at death 6), so yes, it's great that they are sacred. And I know that centurions have regular weapons, I was just using it as an example of what I was trying to say. And I like this theme very much, and it's perhaps the most flavourful one in the game IMHO, along with carrion woods. And thank you for the reply. And...
Cheers,
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:44 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:40 AM

Private

mjlaufgr is on a distinguished road

I have been playing this theme for the Last couple hours and I want to second that- it's enormously fun and flavorful! Kudos!!
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Exhumed the thread - normal for Ermor !
Just tried Soul gate in SP on Zen's cool "MTW" Europe map, and I'm very impressed !
Disposs Spirits, Shadows and Spectral Legionnaires compliment each other perfectly : the ones swarm the enemies and paralyze them, the others kill it
Then you have quite good national summons : W ladies, Apparitions... Unholy leaders are expensive but powerful (Senators and Consuls).
In battle what's funny is that your losses are often important, but SG units are *very* effective vs big baddies often feared : Knights, Seasonal Spirits, Trolls, etc are quickly disposed of with your magic ethereal paralyzing units
The SG Mages are much better than the AE mages, with Dusk Elder D3 *1 at only 20 gems, allowing varied magic, site searches and items.
All the units are Ethereal, and many are Stealthy, you can send huge armies in enemy territory and attack/pillage them by surprise.
Lastly kick *** Heroes : a Wraith Lord with U3, and a Bane Lord !
Overall they look very good, admittedly I've only played them SP so my experience is limited, but compared to the crappy hordes of AE Soulless and Skeletons they are much more powerful - even if much less numerous.
And I like them much more, because they don't stink !
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
The SG Mages are much better than the AE mages, with Dusk Elder D3 *1 at only 20 gems, allowing varied magic, site searches and items.
Uh, Chief? That's exactly the same as the AE mages. Those Dusk Elders are the SAME D3*1, 20 gem Dusk Elders. I'd know. I've just gotten back from my second board-organized AE Ermor MP stomping.

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
Lastly kick *** Heroes : a Wraith Lord with U3, and a Bane Lord !
Etimmu the Wraith Lord, D3U3 is a hero in Ashen Empire as well.

Quote:

Overall they look very good, admittedly I've only played them SP so my experience is limited, but compared to the crappy hordes of AE Soulless and Skeletons they are much more powerful - even if much less numerous.
And I like them much more, because they don't stink !
The problem with SG is that it doesn't acquire forward momentum with the same speed as AE: Your better unholy priests can't be summoned by base Dusk Elders, unlike the AE ArchBishop. Your troops aren't as numerous (which can be both good and bad, depending on the micromanagement load), and they're no longer unbreakable. Their weaknesses to massed-banish continue to exist. The troops *ARE* somewhat better, but it takes you a lot longer to acquire critical mass than it does with AE. SG Ermor does better mid to mid-late, whereas AE Ermor is better off early.

[ March 08, 2004, 10:43: Message edited by: Norfleet ]
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

I like particularly the wraith centurion, which is immortal. He never routs (immortal in friendly dominion), can kill alone indep provinces, and if he fails, you find him again in your capitol for the next season of rampages. Well worth the (high) price.