.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 9th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Private

gregarine is on a distinguished road
Default Bet the CGW review helped.

The Computer Gaming World review was what got me to come here and order the game. They made the game sound very/deep and complex which is what I like!
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:58 AM

BANNED USER

Sammual is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bet the CGW review helped.

If you find a deeper more complex game most of us will buy it (If we don't have it). Welcome home. *grin*

Sammual
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

One of my favorite comments about Dom is that IF you can get past the learning curve I can pretty much gaurantee that it will live on your machine for 10 times as long as any shelf-ware you purchase from this day forward.

--
In Dominions, if it looks like a killer strategy then look at it again carefully.
In Dominions, if it looks like a total waste then look at it again carefully.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Private

tylertoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
...IF you can get past the learning curve...
I don't know if this can be answered, but how long does it take to get past the learning curve? (I'm playing the demo with Bruce G's walkthrough right now).
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:08 AM

Depends on the individual and how set you are in your ways and how open you are to new/old ways

Hard to say; but once you get past the base information and it's application (like shields = don't get hit from arrows, morale is determined by an average of the units in the squad and size, etc) then you get into the fun aspects of playing as opposed to just sort of trundling along.

The first hump is usually learning the interface and using it easily (via hotkeys).

The second hump is learning what is 'good' vs what is 'bad' and what is effective vs you losing (units, battles, games) without knowing why.

The third hump is finding your playstyle and how to balance the many many ways to play with how you enjoy playing effectively.
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

For me Id say the learning curve was mostly licked in the first real game I played. It took me a couple of tries to decide which race sounded like fun for my type of playing. Then a couple to create a god that I felt was playable. Finally I made a game with just a couple of nations turned on as computer opponents. I didnt win but by the time I was beaten I was convinced that I was going to keep trying, alot! The next game I was pretty comfortable.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 9th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Corporal

Lord Hammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For me Id say the learning curve was mostly licked in the first real game I played. It took me a couple of tries to decide which race sounded like fun for my type of playing. Then a couple to create a god that I felt was playable. Finally I made a game with just a couple of nations turned on as computer opponents. I didnt win but by the time I was beaten I was convinced that I was going to keep trying, alot! The next game I was pretty comfortable.
That about sums it up for me too and this forum can be your most powerful "item" .For me there are no "if's", only "when's" .

[ January 09, 2004, 03:19: Message edited by: Lord Hammer ]
Old January 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For me Id say the learning curve was mostly LICKED (ED) in the first real game I played. It took me a couple of tries to decide which race sounded like fun for my type of playing. Then a couple to create a god that I felt was playable. Finally I made a game with just a couple of nations turned on as computer opponents. I didnt win but by the time I was beaten I was convinced that I was going to keep trying, alot! The next game I was pretty comfortable.
Heh, sorry...

But I don't know what I have to do with learing curves...
Old January 9th, 2004, 06:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

I guess Illwinter will add a step by step tutorial for Dominions 3: Fall of the Gods that explains its detailed and streamlined userinterface?

If it had not been for this forum, and particularly the works of Saber Cherry, I would simply have given up on the game and saved my money for Warlords Battlecry 3. Now I'm glad I didn't. This game is very addictive, and I eagerly await the patch. Learning the game is pretty fast actually. Mastering it enough to beat the computer on easy is a whole other matter.
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tylertoo:
quote:
...IF you can get past the learning curve...
I don't know if this can be answered, but how long does it take to get past the learning curve? (I'm playing the demo with Bruce G's walkthrough right now).
Not sure. I downloaded the demo the day it was available, had the game preordered before that, play for at least one hour almost every day... and still consider myself a babbling newbie. OK, I've won games against Weak AIs at least, but still...

Of course, not everybody needs to be as lame as I am.