War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 5th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Players wanted for PBW PvK Proportions Game #1

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
I thought that AIs neither scrap facilities nor retrofit ships.
AIs definitly scrap (ships). I dont know about retrofitting.
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:29 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

AI's also retrofit ships. Sometimes way too vigorously. I think this may have been reduced/improved a bit in 1.91.

PvK
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoTechFreak:
The amount of time to establish is the reason I think about a small amount of reliable (obviously I do not talk about me) players who should be aware of this problem, or would even like this. There are some ways to accelerate the problematic first time frame - where most players seem to quit:
-low research costs
-3 planet start
-medium tech start
Well this is a big part of why joining this established PBW game is such a good opportunity! Not only do you get over the establishment stage, but you do so without messing up the research tree, without having fake-o triple homeworlds, and with a real historical lead-up to the current situation, as well as interesting and real starting possessions.
Quote:
What I personally dislike about 99% of the PBW games is to be forced to build alliances, trade techs and all that team wonging stuff that only depends on who to meet first - who else to slay next with combined research power. If this could be disabled (which is not possible) somehow it would probably make up a game to my taste. But I guess it is a minority who would like to play it this way, so I remain to be a typical single role player.
It is quite possible to disable trade, and even alliances, and there are people who have the same interests - we just started Limited Resources (Pairs) 3 with PvK Balance mod, for example.

PvK
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

I'll give the Vikings a shot.

[ April 06, 2004, 17:43: Message edited by: Loser ]
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Are there any other openings in this game? I've always wanted to play with the Proportions mod, from what I've heard of it, it's just that I rarely play solitaire anymore...so...any *good* openings in this game?

thanks,

Alarik
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:03 PM

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by alarikf:
Are there any other openings in this game? I've always wanted to play with the Proportions mod, from what I've heard of it, it's just that I rarely play solitaire anymore...so...any *good* openings in this game?

thanks,

Alarik
Alarik, you can have my spot. I took it back over cause it was languishing under AI control. But if you are willing, and Pvk doesn't have an objection, you can have it. The empires centrally located and currently at peace.

EDIT: Of course there's five other spots open. I don't know what shape they are in. Pvk may prefer you take one of those.

[ April 06, 2004, 18:04: Message edited by: geoschmo ]
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Well, I would prefer a decent one at peace to a decent one at war...(having just found out how hard it can be to understand all the machinations involved in jumping in new right in the middle of a war in a certain other game )

thanks,

Alarik

Quote:
Originally posted by geoschmo:
quote:
Originally posted by alarikf:

thanks,

Alarik
Alarik, you can have my spot. I took it back over cause it was languishing under AI control. But if you are willing, and Pvk doesn't have an objection, you can have it. The empires centrally located and currently at peace.

EDIT: Of course there's five other spots open. I don't know what shape they are in. Pvk may prefer you take one of those.

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Geo, if you'd like to bow out, then I think your empire would be a good one for a new player. It is central, at peace, and seems to be in reasonable shape.

The other choices are:

Enlightened Plague: Central, more or less at peace, used to be strong, but I hear that some people have been pillaging parts of it during several game-years of AI control. I'm not sure if it's still strong, or if it should be re-named the "Unenlightened Carcass" at this point.

Slu'vek Society: Temporal researchers intact and at peace, but not centrally located. They have room to expand and dominate their corner cluster of systems, but are remote to the current conflict and most of the other nations. They could start a war with the Draconians to dominate their cluster, and/or go plunder the currently-uncontrolled Krsqk, or develop warp technology to reach the center.

Krsqk: Buggish race in their own very remote corner cluster of systems. They could go attack the Slu'vek and/or Draconians from a very safe position, or research warp tech and break in from unexpected directions. Or, camp out and probably never be bothered by anyone. The map is really pretty interesting in the amount of choke-points, seas of warpless space, system clusters, and one very long weird warp line going from isolated cluster to isolated cluster across the entire map without stopping.

As mentioned previously, Kobaia and Rex Dominion are barely existant - someone could play them if they want a game where they have very little to do. ;-) Actually the Kobaians could act as space pirates and exiles trying to get their homeworld back (especially since there are some of us trying to give it back to them).

PvK
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:10 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

I'll go ahead and take the Daitoon Consortium (Geo's Empire) if that's cool...I figure it'll be in at least decent shape....

thanks!

Alarik

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
Geo, if you'd like to bow out, then I think your empire would be a good one for a new player. It is central, at peace, and seems to be in reasonable shape.

The other choices are:

Enlightened Plague: Central, more or less at peace, used to be strong, but I hear that some people have been pillaging parts of it during several game-years of AI control. I'm not sure if it's still strong, or if it should be re-named the "Unenlightened Carcass" at this point.

Slu'vek Society: Temporal researchers intact and at peace, but not centrally located. They have room to expand and dominate their corner cluster of systems, but are remote to the current conflict and most of the other nations. They could start a war with the Draconians to dominate their cluster, and/or go plunder the currently-uncontrolled Krsqk, or develop warp technology to reach the center.

Krsqk: Buggish race in their own very remote corner cluster of systems. They could go attack the Slu'vek and/or Draconians from a very safe position, or research warp tech and break in from unexpected directions. Or, camp out and probably never be bothered by anyone. The map is really pretty interesting in the amount of choke-points, seas of warpless space, system clusters, and one very long weird warp line going from isolated cluster to isolated cluster across the entire map without stopping.

As mentioned previously, Kobaia and Rex Dominion are barely existant - someone could play them if they want a game where they have very little to do. ;-) Actually the Kobaians could act as space pirates and exiles trying to get their homeworld back (especially since there are some of us trying to give it back to them).

PvK
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Would anyone mind if I took over one of these Empires? I am thinking of the Slu'vek Society, as this Empire seems the closest to my own playstyle.

Like Alarikf, I wanted to play a Proportions game, but I did not manage to either find one such game besides this one, or to coerce other players in playing one Proportions game.

Thanks in advance! (I know I should not get in another game, but it seems to be too good an opportunity to let go. *Shrugs*)