.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM

Corporal

Wyatt Hebert is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Got Blood?" -- BF Ulm AAR (Newbie)

Sounds like the plans are a-rolling. Keep us updated. I might actually get back to the Caelum game a bit later.

Wyatt
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

How does the scout hunting nerf of the new patch affect your hunting operations?
Old April 9th, 2004, 02:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
How does the scout hunting nerf of the new patch affect your hunting operations?
To be perfectly honest, I don't expect it to hurt it in the least. I didn't really plan on hiring Scouts to do my Bloodhunting; it may be (have been?) more economical, but I dislike the vagaries of the market, as it were. OTOH, I haven't started blood hunting yet; for me, the Blood Count is a good commander (my best, in fact) and a good mage, but I don't feel he justifies the early redirection of resources towards bloodhunting that it requires to get him. The other thing is that the provinces I've conquered so far had no scouts and not enough resources to build independent Commanders (which may come to bite me in the ***). We'll see.

Also, for those that wanted Ulrich's stats:

Ulrich Patrifagus (and yes, he ate his father; good naming, IW)
the Ghoul Baron

(stats in parentheses are for equipment that he comes with)

HP: 18
Protection: 0 (19)
Morale: 18
Magic Resistance: 12
Encumbrance: 0
Strength: 14
Attack: 12 (13)
Defense: 11 (4)
Precision: 10
Move: 1/7
Leadership: 25/70/0
Unholy 2(!), Sacred, Cause Fear(-3), Undead, Poison Resistance (100), Need Not Eat
Weapons: Flail
Armor: Helm, Full Plate of Ulm

I'll try to get the next few turns up before too much longer.

Bayushi Tasogare
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:03 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Bayushi Tasogare:
The other thing is that the provinces I've conquered so far had no scouts and not enough resources to build independent Commanders (which may come to bite me in the ***).
If you purchase a commander in those provinces, it will appear some turns later when all the necessary resources have been spent.
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

Graeme, I'm aware of that fact. However, as you can probably tell already, I'm going through my money paying for what is, to me, more important things. Getting Ulrich when I did was actually quite nice for me, since he can move troops around.

Bayushi Tasogare
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:30 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Bayushi Tasogare:
Graeme, I'm aware of that fact.
I wasn't sure if you were aware that resources accumulated towards a unit if they were very low in a province. I know that I wasn't for a very long time, and wanted to make sure that people realized how it worked.
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turn 4

No real news for this turn, as far as Messages. Machaka makes Abasi the Hero into a Prophet... I guess that's better than a stupid Bane Spider...

My forces take Zimmria basically unopposed. When I do so, I find C'tis to its NE. I see several things that make me relatively happy about it. First, they have a Mausoleum for a Fortress. While perhaps thematically appropriate, they are vulnerable to attack. Second, they have Serpent Dancers as their primary defense. While that may be a problem, it means they're playing base C'tis, so I won't have to worry about Undead or Miasma. Finally, their Pretender is an Archmage. Overall, it could have been much worse there.

Evita (2S) the Fortuneteller joins the coven, who all research. Both Thaumaturgy 1 and Construction 1 should be researched by the end of the turn.

As far as Orders go, unrest in Fenatice was eliminated, so I raise its taxation back to 100%. Meanwhile, I reduce Zimmria's taxation to 50% to cure unrest.

I move Karl and Rexor into C'tis in an attempt to preemptively knock out C'tis, as well as gain another Fort (however bad) to recruit from.

I pay 85g to rehire Rexor's Barbarians. This leaves me with not enough gold to hire a Fortuneteller, so I hire a Wolfherd and 4 Morningstar Infantry. The reason that I buy the Wolfherd, and not a mage/other commander, is because the Wolfherd is capital-only, and I plan to use the Wolves generated. This is reinforced by the fact that I'm looking at getting another fortress, which can serve as a factory for my Blood Mages.

Status Report:
Provinces: 3
Treasury: 4
Income: 229 (+33)
Upkeep: 51 (+11)
Gems: 5A,4S,12D,4N
Gem Income: +1S,+3D,+1N
Research: Alteration 2, (Thaumaturgy 1), (Construction 1)
Research Income: 39 of 39

Next turn, the Baron!

Bayushi Tasogare
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

Just a short update... I do intend to complete this AAR. I'm currently looking for my notes up to turn 7. When I do, I'll update to then, and then post one turn a day until I win or lose.

edit: spelling

[ June 16, 2004, 00:32: Message edited by: Scott Hebert ]
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

Turn 5

Irma regarded the young-looking man before her. "Excuse me? You believe I have made an error?"

"Yes, my Queen. And as Castellan of your Keep..." The man trailed off. Of course, he was more than merely a man now. The new Castellan, who succumbed to the Malediction and fed on his father's corpse.

Irma continued to stare at him. "And this error I made was..?"

"My Lady, the Barbarians, while useful, were destined to be ground into dust facing C'tis's defenders. There was no need to pay the dead." His face seemed troubled, as if he was not sure of the wisdom of questioning his Queen's judgement.

Irma chuckled slightly. "Fear not, Baron Ulrich. You can be my advisor, until such time as you become unfit for service." Ulrich bowed his head in acknowledgement, and if Irma was not mistaken, relief. "Make ready a reinforcement column to send to C'tis, and find what mercenaries you can as well. I think the Serpent's Mausoleum will make a fitting summer cottage for me."

--

Abysia names Ba'al Chozron the Anathemant Warlock as their Prophet. Always a pleasure... :|

As noted in the story above, I successfully take out the PD in C'tis, but I lose all of Rexor's Barbarians but Rexor in the process. It would have been better to not pay for him again.

I give orders for Karl and Rexor to siege in C'tis. Nan Bagor moves in to reinforce the siege. Zierod (my new Wolfherd) takes the Rangers and the Wolves in Ulm and Sneaks to Zimmria. Ulrich meanwhile takes the Morningstar Infantry in Ulm and moves to Fenatice. Finally, Irma and her coven research.

For taxes, I increase taxes in Zimmria to 80%, and reduce taxes in C'tis to 50%.

I note that Dante's Stingers are available to hire, and so I pay 160g to hire them straight into C'tis. I also pay 102g for a Fortuneteller and a Ranger in Ulm.

Treasury: 7
Income: 284 (+55)
Upkeep: 57 (+6)
Gems: 5A/5S/15D/5N
GI: +1S/+3D/+3N
Research: 39/39 points, Construction 2 should be researched next turn.

Next update: Turn 6.
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Sergeant

HotNifeThruButr is on a distinguished road

I'd really love to see more of this, I dabbled in Black Forest for a while, because of the rangers. Accuracy AND axes in melee, wow! But I got trounced... repeatedly... by the AI.

Anyways, I wonder why you use Infants of Ulm instead of Zweihanders. Although rangers can fend for themselves in a melee, I'm sure Zweihanders' improved armor, and therefor tanking ability, makes them superior to Infantry of Ulm combined with the fact that your recruitable mortal commanders, the Commanders of Ulm (how imaginative) can only take 25 men apiece instead of the standard 50.

Aside from that, I also wonder how/when you're going to get a slave trade going. I'm a newbie to blood magic, and have only dabbled in it in one game with Diabolical Faith. What demons do you plan to summon, if you're not only using it to make Counts. How will you deal with only having your pretender to summon them?

I might've missed it from another post, but are you playing the AI or in Multiplayer?