.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 24th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

E. Albright is on a distinguished road
Default Re: JAVA programmer? (and Win-DomMap, and some GIMP)

Quote:
You mean I only have to change the fopen() calls and it will work on Windows?
Well, I had to change random/srandom to rand/srand, and maybe tweak a few other things (and I don't know, and can't currently test, if my port functions correctly, but it seems to do so), but yeah, there wasn't much to change.

[Edit: And per Leif_-'s suggestion, I changed the fopen().]

[ February 24, 2004, 19:10: Message edited by: E. Albright ]
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:25 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Leif_-:
quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
But the EASIEST thing Ive found is a blur.
You might want to look at adding a bump-map to that as well. (To do that manually in Gimp copy the original map to a new layer, and create an additional empty layer. Fill the empty layer with plasma (Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Plasma), then select the copy of the map, blur it and choose Filter -> Map -> Bump Map and use the plasma layer as the bump map.)

Next, select by colour to select the borders and capital-dots on the original map and cut these parts away from the copy. Delete the plasma map.)

OK, so now we have someone who really knows what he's talking about... cool

I tried to do what you said: if you check the "compensate darkening" on the bump-mapping filter, it looks nice... only, now the sea's all bumpy. I thought I'd select capital dots, plus borders, plus the sea, and invert the selection before blurring and bump-mapping, but then, the problem seems to be that colors from the unselected part still blur (which means the area around capital dots will be lighter); and, if I cut this part away, it will either blur to background, or blur to transparent if I make the background transparent.

I don't know if all this is clear...

OK, now here's what I get, starting with a dommap output with default settings except a 500x500 size...

Original dommap output

(JPG Version)

Same map after blurring and bump-mapping

(JPG Version)

What do you all think?

(The .map file, in case you like it)
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:28 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by E. Albright:
quote:
Well, I had to change random/srandom to rand/srand, and maybe tweak a few other things (and I don't know, and can't currently test, if my port functions correctly, but it seems to do so), but yeah, there wasn't much to change.

OK; when someone can confirm that it runs fine, and produces viewable output, could you email me the source at: duchon (dot) philippe (at) free (dot) fr

(I'd like to reconcile the Versions, as much as possible, in case I decide to tweak features...)
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:

OK I have Win compiled copies from both you and Leif. They both seem to work but have one strange quirk. Little loops of water border create un-capitaled water provinces. Not a big problem since the windows Version was mostly desired by people who wanted to edit the maps in paint programs anyway.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:31 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:

The variable "near" is also a (obsolete) reserved word and I had to change that (to "nearby" ). The only thing blocking my compile at present is a missing def for "M_PI". Of course, I presume this is related to the value of Pi, but I don't know what the "M" is supposed to imply.

Once I have the console port in Windows compiled and working okay, then I can begin the "fun" task of rebuilding the app as a native Windows MFC app, with GUI and all the other niceties. Well, that's the plan, FWIW.
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK that makes 3 in the running.
Anyone feel like "Source Forge"ing this project?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
(JPG Version)

What do you all think?
I like that. The "canvas" thing that Illwinter uses was interesting also (I think Saber Cherry recommended it in another thread) but I think I like this one better.

But I suspect this is farther away from being batch-useable than blur is. Im sure ImageMagick commands can do what I want. I just dont understand enough about masks and such.

[ February 24, 2004, 19:39: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:45 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

M_PI is normally the value of PI from math.h or a subinclude. For instance, on a Linux box I've nearby, /usr/include/math.h contains
# define M_PI 3.14159265358979323846 /* pi */
(in a block of defines surrounded by an #ifdef relating to BSD).
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:58 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Taqwus:
M_PI is normally the value of PI from math.h or a subinclude. For instance, on a Linux box I've nearby, /usr/include/math.h contains
# define M_PI 3.14159265358979323846 /* pi */
(in a block of defines surrounded by an #ifdef relating to BSD).
Thanks! My linux box is downstairs collecting (a lot of) dust. Two years worth at least.

I've gotten the code to compile and produce a map & tga. You can get the v1.94a console .exe w/ sample output from my site. If no one finds any other problems (besides the odd water loops that happen with my compile also), then I can begin the conVersion into a real Windows app. That is, assuming anyone is interested in the fancy Windows trappings (GUI, etc.) ...

[ February 24, 2004, 20:00: Message edited by: Arryn ]
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Not to curb your enthusiasm but so far what we have managed to do is get the DomMap from Dominions 1 to work for Dom2. There is a wish-list for this program. Many things that could be upgraded. If we wander into two code-sets it will be hard to keep up. Your choice of course.

There are also other 3rd party program requests where window-dressing (pun intended) is what is being asked for.