.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 18th, 2024, 11:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,703 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trench project

Quote:
Originally Posted by dTerm View Post
I reproduced this on a desert map, with clear, sand, soft sand and earth.

I discovered, that when extending the ends of the laid trenches, I was able to keep on laying much more of them, way beyond of the allowed numbers.
Did the game report them as being trenches?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 18th, 2024, 01:00 PM

Private

dTerm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
[...]

Did the game report them as being trenches?
No, those additional trenches are not reported as such.

I observed though, that on the desert map the build points counter seems to work correctly. So maybe there are two seperate issues.
Old April 18th, 2024, 01:49 PM

Private

dTerm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamB View Post
I tried it again, using both desert and flat terrain (no fields). Got the same result, only 19 points after removing the trenches.
I did another desert set-up and this time the build point counter also stuck at 19.

I also found a hex reported as clear trench while is appeared as soft sand. (The marked hex in the image file. Though the mouse cursor isn't visible, it's the right hex)

Edit: My assumption is that it's an issue with the brush, when placing trenches. When removing real trenches some get painted over with surrounding terrain, while the game still reports them as trenches. That's why the build point counter doesn't fully increase back to 20. When extending endpoints of existing trenches while in T-mode the brush still paints trenches, though they are not.
Next test could be to check, that when the build points are stuck, whether there are any hexes that look normal, but the engine reports them being trenches.
Attached Files
File Type: zip trenches7.zip (486.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by dTerm; April 18th, 2024 at 05:36 PM..
Old April 20th, 2024, 11:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,703 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Trench project

There is much about this particular game "quirk" that is confusing and sometimes contradictory which is why figuring out what causes the issue and fixing it may very well end up not happening

I have had one case where after laying the trench then removing it I ended up with 19 points and I tried three times to recreate that and it worked perfectly every time. I would lay it, remove it and have 20 points

I have had cases where there can be ghost trench laid after the points run out that show as trench but do not report as being trench

Those can be removed easily by removing some actual trench then laying it over the ghosts then removing it and in all cases I have tested that removes the ghost

I did once see a trench laid then I clicked on more hexes to try and generate a ghost and ended up creating two ghost hedgrows that did not report as such..... that was the first time I had seen that but it was in a field surrounded by hedgerow. The ghost hedgerow was removed laying trench over then deleting the trench

The bottom line is it is a "bug" but it's deeply hidden in code that had evolved from code that had started being written in the early 90s as DOS and then converted in the early 2000s as windows with A LOT of added content from then on. The game would not function on the machines used to write and test the original code

It is strange but it can be worked around and it is quite likely to always be part of the game as Andy had run into one dead end after the other trying to find it.

It is NOT a "show stopper" in that it will crash the game and as I have noted there are ways to work around it to get what you want and if you end up with a ghost trench it can be removed simply by deleting some good trench, laying it over the ghosts then removing it and re-build the trench you had to remove the tiles from.

Most of the issue APPEARS to involve fields in some way ( but not always ) so if you do buy some build points and put down some trench in defence be aware of that but I suspect buying points for trenches is not that common in most players games

Thank you Harald and Willian for testing this. The input was appreciated

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: