.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 11th, 2008, 04:28 AM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battlefield spell + retreating?

Quote:
Tifone said:
Damn, I raelly don't understand why people didn't defend to the death the MoD+retreat tactic when it was made unlegit in all MP games, saying it can be countered so easily etc. etc. etc., but defend it NOW that, and at least it was my hope when I opened the thread, we could hopefully find a reasonable solution to make it less unbalanced and with its usefulness, by a mod or a rebalance in a future patch (I know devs patch what they want, obviously, but maybe driving enough attention around the problem ...)
Someone already made a nice mod to make make it useful by replacing it with a less retarded spell. I think you can thank Twan. It basically just creates some clouds on the battlefield which do no damage, but spawn phantasmal warriors every round.

Jazzepi
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Oh, now THAT is good news I hope if finds wide application around

Old July 11th, 2008, 04:41 AM

Corporal

Niarg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
K said:In the 37 games I checked on the first page of the Multiplayer forum, I count 7 who banned "battlefield spell + Retreat in less than 5 turns" or MoD or "tricky stuff." Now, I only read the first set-up post in each thread which is where you put any rules or mods you are using, but the idea that "it's in all MP games" is clearly not supported by the available evidence.

The silent majority speaks volumes.
It might not be stated that it is banned, however when someone actually tried to use it in Capuchin then it effectively immediately ended the game as everyone left.
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:46 AM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Niarg said:
Quote:
K said:In the 37 games I checked on the first page of the Multiplayer forum, I count 7 who banned "battlefield spell + Retreat in less than 5 turns" or MoD or "tricky stuff." Now, I only read the first set-up post in each thread which is where you put any rules or mods you are using, but the idea that "it's in all MP games" is clearly not supported by the available evidence.

The silent majority speaks volumes.
It might not be stated that it is banned, however when someone actually tried to use it then it effectively immediately ended the game as everyone left.
While one game is anecdotal, that's not real evidence.

I would adjust my numbers to 8 out of 37, but Capuchin wasn't in the 37 I counted.

Also, what was the game like? Since you were obviously in the endgame, what was everyone's position and how strong were they? Were there a lot of SC players?
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Corporal

Niarg is on a distinguished road

Search for Capuchin and you'll find the game thread.

You seem to have missed the point of the post. The silent majority will complain a lot if this is actually used and certainly all of Llamabeasts games have an unwritten rule that you should not use it. Probably other hosts have similar unwritten rules.
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:58 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Niarg said:
Search for Capuchin and you'll find the game thread.

You seem to have missed the point of the post. The silent majority will complain a lot if this is actually used and certainly all of Llamabeasts games have an unwritten rule that you should not use it. Probably other hosts have similar unwritten rules.
Well, the llamabeast game I'm playing in explicitly doesn't have those rules, so I think you are projecting your beliefs on others.

Also, unwritten rules against a certain player that pop up when he's winning don't get a lot of credit in my book.
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

K, with respect...

are you sure you aren't playing the devil's advocate?
I dunno, it seems to me that you are defending the use of this tactic /against/ the vast majority of the scientific community who posted in this thread, which I remember you is a specific thread about this.

I mean, the only time I saw something like this, it was on some Astronomy forum where flat-earth supporters started to claim the "evidence" of what they were saying (yeah, 4 reelz)

Take it as a wisecrack as it is plz

Anyway, as I came to know about the existence of this mod, the argument for me ends. I will play with it and /hope/ that MoD will be nerfed a bit in the basegame - with the mod implemented or something like this.

Bye byeeez

Old July 11th, 2008, 05:22 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I had intended to explicitly write a list of exploits - including the MoD one - which would be banned in my games (whether it's a fair spell or not K, you can't deny it upsets people, which is more important really). However I don't think I ever got around to writing it. Still, I think it is far preferable to win in a way which all other players also find reasonable and fun. A victory against a bunch of disgruntled people is a rather hollow one, I would have thought.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:32 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Tifone said:
K, with respect...

are you sure you aren't playing the devil's advocate?
I dunno, it seems to me that you are defending the use of this tactic /against/ the vast majority of the scientific community who posted in this thread, which I remember you is a specific thread about this.

I mean, the only time I saw something like this, it was on some Astronomy forum where flat-earth supporters started to claim the "evidence" of what they were saying (yeah, 4 reelz)

Take it as a wisecrack as it is plz

Anyway, as I came to know about the existence of this mod, the argument for me ends. I will play with it and /hope/ that MoD will be nerfed a bit in the basegame - with the mod implemented or something like this.

Bye byeeez
Hey, I just counted the games on the front page of the Multiplayer forum where people have rules against MoD or battlefield spells. That was 7 out of 37, which is around 19% of the games being played. The actual number of people in the community may be even lower considering that DomIII players are often willing to make concessions in order to get a game going.

If you want to start citing "unwritten rules" and anecdotal evidence as valid evidence, then you've abandoned the rules of logic, rules of evidence, and the scientific method and I can only say: good luck with that!

My point: there is a very outspoken minority that does not represent the community despite their belief that they do. This is not elementary school, so the loudest person is not the most correct.

Considering the number of people who seem exhausted by this argument, I assume that most people would rather play their own way rather than argue. Considering the number of games that don't address the issue in any way, the "pro-MoD/battlefield spells" majority are simply ignoring this debate and playing their games as they please.
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:42 AM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

Well K maybe you should count the games where this rule is in effect as a unwritten law!